Parallels Service & 10.8 (Mountain Lion)

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by Daleski75, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

Wasn't working until....

There was a circular link reference as prl_vnic.kext\prl_vnic.kext and prl_netbridge.kext\prl_netbridge.kext in each parallel extension. As soon as I removed those circular links, everything started working correctly.

2. Mountain Lion

Mountain Lion Bit poster

Thanks Frederic

I saw two files with those names inside the kext folder, is that what you meant?

3. RAnthony

RAnthony Bit poster

Argh.... my computer keeps halting because of issues with parallels related items.
    The reports were submitted to Apple... hopefully they find their way to Parallels.

4. fmotta

fmotta Bit poster

Frederic, could you pls supply the kext files without circular links?
    I am not able to find those...

Thanks in advance if you can!

Filippo

5. thisisjess

thisisjess Junior Member

how can i get a virtual of 10.8 running in parallels 6?

6. GeoffreyZ

GeoffreyZ Member

Got a tip from someone over at the Mountain Lion Developer forum and reinstalled Parallels Desktop over my original installation...and now networking is fully functional in Windows 7.

7. fmotta

fmotta Bit poster

I think you'll have to do this at every reboot of your Mac...

8. 87racer

87racer Member

You should not have to do an install after every reboot. Nothing would change on reboot. And yes doing a reinstall, just like with the launcher method, fixes most if not all problems when there shouldn't be any.

9. 87racer

87racer Member

Just reinstall parallels. It will save you a lot of headache with replacing kexts, taking ownership, and giving necessary permissions. You wont lose anything by reinstalling Parallels Desktop.

As stated previously Mountain Lion, your virtual machines remain untouched when you reinstall Parallels Desktop. Just download the recent version from the website and install.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  10. FredricE

FredricE Bit poster

I got Parallels 7 working in 10.8 like this

1) I used this command in the terminal to start in 32 bits
    sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture i386
    ( to default start in 64 bits again...
    sudo systemsetup -setkernelbootarchitecture x86_64 )
    2) The file "Parallels Service" has again to be put into the folder /library/parallels
    (Image 1)this because Mountain Lion places it into a new root folder "Incompatible Software" when booting in 64 bits
    (Thanks to Pascalrod for this info)

I read in 87 racers blog (http://bs87.com/post/17757954386/parallels-desktop-7-on-mountain-lion-10-8) about problems after upgrade from PD6 to PD7 so I made an install of a new PD7 (trial version from parallels.com) over the old upgraded PD7 (This kept Windows, MS Office etc. from my old WM). I had no problems activating it with my upgrade activation key?)
    After installation of the trial version I got the file Parallels service placed into folder/library/parallels as above (2). The file was not there after the upgrade!
    I installed the parallels launcher from 87 racers blog to see of this would help me start parallels, it did but parallels tools did not install properly. I rebooted, but no change. I could also start parallels the normal way.
    Because troubles of installing Parallels Tools. I lost many features.I followed the information in (http://kb.parallels.com/en/111730) and remove it (in control panel in Windows) and reinstalled it. This worked.
    After the reinstallation of Parallels tools I´m starting parallels the normal way.Parallels 7 runs but it is a bit unstable from time to time.

11. 87racer

87racer Member

There is no need for the launcher OR 32-bit mode on the latest update of PD7. Also it is not the upgrade from PD6 to PD7 that is the issue. It is doing an upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion. ALWAYS do a clean install of a developer preview, it reduces a lot of headaches. And yes, totally removing and reinstalling Parallels Tools is the only way the install seems to be completing successfully.

12. dogorob

dogorob Bit poster

yepp, just want to confirm deleting the symlinks inside the two kext-directories made my testinstallation of Parallels 7 on a Mountain Lion 10.8 DP4 system work fine again.

These terminal-commands "do the magic":

sudo rm /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_vnic.kext/prl_vnic.kext
    sudo rm /Library/Parallels/Parallels\ Service.app/Contents/Kexts/10.6/prl_netbridge.kext/prl_netbridge.kext

13. Waldilein

Waldilein Bit poster

Hi, does this magic command work for the problem "Can't start networkmodul" too? This is my big problem right now.
    Everything else works fine, except the network-modul-thing. Well and if you are a developer for web service programs, it's not so easy to handle without network. Lucky me, I installed die Win7 as bootcamp, so I can work, but not so nice.
    So if any body out here, solved this fuc... networkmodul is not working problem, please answer me.
    Thx Carsten

14. tagarinconada

tagarinconada Bit poster

Adding bootcamp partition VM

Anyone here able to add your Bootcamp Partition in Mountain Lion? This does not work both on my Parallels Desktop 7 and Beta Parallels Desktop 8. :)

15. dprev87

dprev87 Bit poster

same problem

i m having the same problem with"failed to load networking" when using on 10.8. all the standard fix such as reinstalling dont work

16. shoes70

shoes70 Bit poster

Failed to load networking

Using Mountain Lion 10.8 gold and cannot get networking to load in Win7 no matter what I do. Parallels Build 7.0.15104. Everything else works fine. Think I've tried everything suggested in this thread: reinstalling (3x), all the sudo rm commands, permissions, etc. All my KEXTs are in the 10.6 folder. No go. Any ideas?

Failed to open the Parallels Networking module.

17. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Did PV 5 -> PV 8 then OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) -> 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion)

My Win XP Pro VM worked fine after PV 5 -> PV 8 upgrade. Then I updated Mac from OS 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard - 32 bit) -> 10.8.2 (Mountain Lion - 64 bit) and I got:
    * Got a problem pop up box saying: "Unable to start Parallels Services"
    * When I told it to Send Report I got: Problem ID 15381
    * When I requested support I got a message identifying the report as: "Problem Report ID 19897905"
    * Your support should be able to find this submitted report with the above ID - the message told me to mention the ID when contacting Parallels support

Has anybody gotten PV 8 to work with Mountain Lion after all of these months? I had worked with Parallels support throughout my upgrades and was even given a PV 8 full install coupon since one can only go from PV 5 -> PV 7 on an upgrade so I assumed that this combo had been long working. Am I wrong?

PLEASE HELP!!! Critical Win XP Pro VM is now not functional!!!!

18. judger48193

judger48193 Member

Simple Re-Install of PV 8????

Can't say that I understand all of the posts above about how to make PV 8 work with Mountain Lion, but I caught a drift and I am wondering:

Is it possible that since I first installed PV 8 then upgraded to Mountain Lion that I have to just re-install PV 8 to make things work?

I am also lead down this path by the error message saying that Parallels Services are not available.

19. Frederic Bronner

Frederic Bronner Member

That would be the first thing I would do, is completely uninstall parallel and than re-install it.

Make sure you do not delete your virtual machines (I know it sounds dumb to say that, but I have had people delete them when re-installing....)

20. judger48193

judger48193 Member

That's what I did per excellent advice from several Parallels support guys. Your suggestion about not deleting my VM was a good one. I always back it up to an external drive once a week which takes about 15 minutes and I did an extra one before doing this update process.