Parallels Tools Shared Profile in Windows 7 Constantly forces logout

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by mikesims10670, Jul 12, 2011.

1. mikesims10670

mikesims10670 Bit poster

Hello,

I installed Parallels Tools into a fresh (and fully patched) Windows 7 VM. After the reboot and every single time I log into the Windows 7 VM, a message pops up that says:

window title: Parallels Shared Profile

You will be logged off of the system to apply the new Shared Profile settings.

When you log in again these host computer user folders will be mapped to user folders in the virtual machine.

[x]Desktop
    [x]Documents
    [x]Pictures
    [x]Music
    [x]Movies
    [x]Downloads

The only choice I have to click is OK which I do. At that point, I'm logged off of the VM, so I log back in and this repeats. I've done it 10 times in a row thinking maybe it needed one log in for each folder or something (the extra 4 times just for good measure) ... I'm beginning to feel like I'm a crazy person waiting to be discovered by my peers.

I will not disable this feature as I specifically want it enabled.

I should mention that I am logging in with a domain user account to a Small Business 2003 server which I know has redirection policies of its own. So I suspect that the server is overwriting these policies that Parallels put in place so I need to know if there is a way to reconcile them? Either by upgrading my server to the latest SBS version with the included Active Directory update? Or am I not supposed to use this feature with an Active Directory account at all under any circumstances? Or perhaps there is a tweak I can implement in Active Directory to make the two get along with one another ???

Thank you in advance,

Sincerely,

Mike Sims

2. DonAtCI

DonAtCI Bit poster

Have you found a fix to this issue? I'm experiencing the same problem.

-Don

3. mikesims10670

mikesims10670 Bit poster

No, I have been waiting for someone to respond to this post, but it doesn't look like Parallels has any actual trouble shooting technicians monitoring the forums ... they must want us to pay for support even if we're willing to wait several days for an answer. Pure money grubbin greed!

4. btyler97

btyler97 Bit poster

Same Problem Here

OS X Lion
    Windows 7
    Parallels Desktop 7

Everything is up to the latest patches.

Anyone have a solution for this?

5. Chay-H

Chay-H Bit poster

I just had this problem. Support guided me through the options of the Virtual Machine and turned off "shared profiles"

after that, log on again, click ok (got logged off) but then when logon next, everything is all good.

HTH,
    Chay

6. skaughtEE

skaughtEE Bit poster

This does indeed work like a charm. Had to do this today and after a logout or two, all was well.

Cheers.

7. Wheaty73

Wheaty73 Bit poster

Bumping this thread

Upgraded to Parallels 8, installed Parallels tools
    Upgraded my Win 7 Ultimate image to Windows 8 (Technet full release)
    Every single time I go to the Desktop I get this box telling me to log out to sync profiles (which were fine previously)
    Reinstall Parallels tools
    Same issue.
    Remove ALL sharing - profiles, disks, apps etc
    Same issue.
    Revert back to snapshot Pre-Windows 8
    Problem goes away.

I don't have this issue with a clean W8 build, so I assume it is something in Windows 7 that causes it.

8. juzci

juzci Guest

Hi,
    thank you for feedback, we do appreciate it!
    To investigate the issue we need some technical information, so could you please reproduce it, send us Problem Report as described in http://kb.parallels.com/en/9058 and give me an ID?

Thanks in advance,
    Hanna

9. RIKMIG

RIKMIG Bit poster

I have the same issue with a Win 7 to 8 Pro upgrade. no matter how I check or uncheck the Shared profile I keep getting the shared profile window which forces me to log out.
    DId not happen on preview.

10. LeonaB

LeonaB Bit poster

Same error message

I'm getting the same error message as below.
    I tried the suggestions of turning off Sharing settings but this window keeps popping up after several restarts.
    I'm running Mac Mountain Lion with Parallels 8 and Windows 8
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Leona

11. check12345

check12345 Bit poster

Any update on this rather glaring problem?

I just upgraded to Parallels 8, upgraded my Win7 machine to Win8 and get this annoying pop up.

So the QA team never tested Win7 / an upgrade to Win8?? Really?

Cracker Jack action right there.

12. LeonaB

LeonaB Bit poster

Resolution!

I got a resolution to the infinite login box! Parallels sent me a registry file that I dropped and ran on the Windows desktop. Then reinstalled Parallels and it is actually working now.
    Contact Parallels for this registry file.

13. Tapper

Tapper Bit poster

I've already asked support but its taking too long. Could you perhaps upload the registry file or indicate what reg file and what is different?

14. LeonaB

LeonaB Bit poster

The registry file I got from support

I wanted to share what finally worked for me.
    First of all, I was told that Parallels didn't support the latest version of Windows so they closed my ticket.
    Later got an email to run a registry file on the Windows side then click the reinstall Parallels on the Virtual Machine menu and everything started working!
    I've uploaded the file to share.
    I hope it works for you.
    Leona
    The file 'sp_correct.reg' (0 KB) is available for download at
    < http://dropbox.unl.edu/uploads/20121029/6232361a61ec6934/sp_correct.reg >
    for the next 14 days.
    It will be removed after Monday, October 29, 2012.

15. WAYLIFE

WAYLIFE Bit poster

Can I just say that... YOU ROCK!!! Fixed!!

16. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

17. jtfase

jtfase Bit poster

Registry File

Could someone please repost the registry file or the contents of it (should be able to open it with a text editor)? I updated Parallels 8 yesterday and am now getting this same issue with Windows 8. Thanks.

18. juzci

juzci Guest

In win8 situation is not the same - you shoud just install your tools back using a standard way.
    Here is the KB: http://kb.parallels.com/en/115026 for win8 cases.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 30, 2012
  19. WAYLIFE

WAYLIFE Bit poster

20. RickaG

RickaG Bit poster

Thanks a lot!

I had to outsmart Windows, but finally managed to get Regedit to recognize it as a registry file. Thanks for hosting the file.

Ricka