Ubuntu 12.10 stuck on small display

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by dankell, Oct 18, 2012.

Tags:
  1. paraNix

paraNix Member

hmmm, if they're going to ignore linux for so long, including not having an actual coherence mode in (3D, gnome3, Unity, etc) Linux for MANY versions of Parallels now, it might be time for me to finally make the leap to VMware, where they apparently care more about Linux & Windows, not just windows.

Hence the 12.10 support that has been available for some time now in vmware, that I only found out about because of Parallels lack of 12.10 support.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2012
  2. Xaxxon

Xaxxon Junior Member

Like others, the lack of any reasonable response to requests for support is sending me to a 30-day trial of VMware.

3. malone46844

malone46844 Bit poster

+1

If the tools don't work you find ones that do ...

4. serv

serv Forum Maven

PD8 update released today includes Xorg 1.13 drivers.

5. Xaxxon

Xaxxon Junior Member

Thank you for responding

6. sduensin

sduensin Bit poster

I just wanted to say "thank you." Linux guest support is very much appreciated!

Scott

7. MacKro

MacKro Bit poster

Just got my VMware trial too

Got Parallels initially because I thought it would provide the best experience on a Mac, despite using VMware at work. Thus far I've been happy with it, but it seems the time has come to make a move. At least with VMware I can bring my servers home with me if I want to.

8. VisualFox

VisualFox Bit poster

Thank you!

Really appreciated that you take care of this issue. I really wish that Parallels can put more effort to support Ubuntu in the future.

9. paraNix

paraNix Member

Does this new update in PD8 actually give us a real COHERENCE MODE in ubuntu yet?

Does this driver update allow us to actually use coherence mode in Ubuntu yet(not this faux fullscreen mode)? There is no longer a 2D unity Ubuntu desktop manager in 12.10, and VMware already has workaround to allow for a coherence mode that doesn't just overlay the entire vm, aka the desktop, etc. Parallels claims to have a coherence mode, that actually does what it should, as it does in Windows, in parallels, has anyone been able to get this to work with any of the modern 3D desktop managers (gnome3, Unity, Elementary Luna, etc)?

10. serv

serv Forum Maven

Coherence in Ubuntu is problematic because Unity/Compiz destroys normal flow of window management events making window tracking impossible. Windows' Desktop Window Manager is not that careless, if you're curious.

11. paraNix

paraNix Member

@Parallels

I was very curious. Thank you for giving a reply. Its been a few years that I've been asking that very question.

Given your comment about compiz(which some might say is very valid), what would your reply be on the same question framed regarding Gnome3 specifically too?

12. FellipeH

FellipeH Bit poster

How can I fix this problem in PD7 ?

13. Eric Beyer

Eric Beyer Bit poster

How does one disable irqbalanced?

14. tkrajacic

tkrajacic Bit poster

Any chance this will get fixed for Parallels 7 as well?
    Thanks

15. FellipeH

FellipeH Bit poster

That`s my question two...

16. paraNix

paraNix Member

Given the perceived desire for new upgrades/sales of Parallels.... I'd venture to guess that Parallels is possibly going to charge us for a simple recompile of Parallels Tools for the new X, to a a required upgrade to PD8, thus at least $50 USD from each of us just to run the Parallels tools in a semi-new version of X. This is, imo, likely, what they pay someone to recompile their drivers for Linux.X, for an hour. However, perhaps they could just open source them, and it'd be done IMMEDIATELY and for FREE by the "community", aka anyone that can google recompiling a driver for a new version of X.

17. Druggo

Druggo Bit poster

X resizes, now mouse cursor went missing?

Just upgraded, and resolution is fine now, however - mouse cursor went missing after upgrading?? Anyone else having this issue?

EDIT: i uninstalled tools, and reinstalled fresh tools, worked. Seems to have gone when upgrading Parallels tools.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  18. badtemperredrodent

badtemperredrodent Bit poster

The new Parallels update (8.0.18305) didn't help. I still get the locked up mouse and small screen even if I updated the Parallels Tools prior to running the 12.10 update.

19. VisualFox

VisualFox Bit poster

@badtemperredrodent You need to update the // tools after the migration

*edit sorry didn't see the "even if" part prior to reply. The last // update actually solved my screen and mouse issue (clean 12.04 install and a migration to 12.10). Good luck

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  20. azlobo73

azlobo73 Bit poster

Build 8.0.18314 seems to work for Ubuntu 12.10

I just tried re-installing the Parallels Tools after applying the new "windows 8 update" update for Parallels 8 (jeez a lot of 8's in that statement). It appears they updated the Tools integration for 12.10 also (undocumented / advertized fix/feature).

Build 8.0.18314