Parallels 8 Freeze OSX 10.8 Retina MBP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by DrSkywalker, Sep 5, 2012.

1. SallyQ

SallyQ Bit poster

Parallels Locking Up

Still getting this issue, it seams that if I set the processors to 4, I am guaranteed a frozen mac, if I leave the processors at 1, it is ok.

The problem is that with a single processor, Windows 8 is not the best experience, it is very slow and lags, especially with Office 2013.

This is very frustrating, to the point that I am considering abandoning my investment in Parallels over the years, and trying the competition. I use this for work, and cannot afford for it to be freezing my entire Mac multiple times a day.

I have had my mac checked by Apple, and they did fine an issue, and replaced the logic board, but the problem with Parallels still exists, so it is not hardware.

I am running the following.

Hardware:
    - June 2012 MBP Retina
    - 16 GB RAM
    - Intel Core i7 2.7 GHz
    - 750GB SSD
    - This is the highest spec MBP Retina you can get at the time.

Software:
    - Parallels Build 8.0.18483

Guest:
    - Windows 8 (Boot Camp Partition)
    - 3GB Ram
    - 4 vCPU
    - Video 1024

I am also getting issues with video corruption, where in apps, and also the background, I get lines and corrupted images, at times making it unusable, and requiring a reboot.

I am not too happy with your product at the moment, these problems need to be resolved.

2. Nicholas_Head

Nicholas_Head Bit poster

You should first set your number of virtual CPUs to 2. Your machine has two physical cores (and probably hyperthreading shows 4 cores). Setting the VM to 4 virtual CPUs is too much.

You should provide screenshots/examples of the video corruption, because that may be an actual bug-- open a support ticket with Parallels.