Guest OSX Won't Boot after Installation of Parallels Tools

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Stephen110, May 23, 2014.

1. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

They refunded my money, nice. Now got to work out how to uninstall this version and put the old one back on!

2. BobTheDog

BobTheDog Member

I don;t seem to be able to get it over 128, I added:

svga.vramSize = 1073741824

but still only get 128, how did you manage it?

Cheers

Andy

3. bucweat@rushpost.com

bucweat@rushpost.com Member

Just tried Mavericks install...after install of parallel tools install failed. Removing video driver as a workaround does work. Hoping for a fix soon...

Parallels version 9.0.24229 revision 991745 tuesday April 1, 2014. April fools I guess...

Last edited: Jun 4, 2014
  4. dekard

dekard Junior Member

Add me to the list, right after installation of parallel tools. BAM. no possible update just locks the VM.

5. RJDev

RJDev Bit poster

Same issue here. My other Mac is running VM Fusion. No issues there on either 10.10 and the tools. I must say i am disappointed in the overall reaction (speed and content) by Parallels support.

6. baldock88

baldock88 Bit poster

No Refund...

So apparently if you are one day over the 30 day mark from purchase and you request a refund, they won't give it to you. So beware, Parallels are thieves, taking my money, giving me a product that doesn't work and corrupts my image, and not offering any sort of answer except "We are working on it" and "Refund policy is 30 days".

I was hoping for redemption from Parallels to purchase again when the bug was fixed, but that won't be happening, take care Parallels.

7. dandymac

dandymac Bit poster

I cannot believe that after a MINIMUM of 6 months, the 'Developers' at Parallels have not fixed this AMAZINGLY ridiculous problem that NO other VM software manufacturer has!?!?! I am stuck at this crappy resolution for how long??? isn't it 2014?? Your team doesn't know how to fix the video kext for YOUR OWN software???

The shame for you as a company is that as an independent, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator, is that I have a ton of clients who use, and know tons of people that use, Macs. Therefore I will have to let them know that they should indeed go with Fusion VMWare for their VM needs. I used to only recommend Parallels. Plus when I post a blog and FB post about this, your profits are going to take a huge hit, HUGE hit. (It is a video driver for OS X VM's that does not work on OSX?? pathetic!)

Last laugh is on you. VMWare here we come.

8. GC_YVR

GC_YVR Member

I don't think that's fair. 10.9.3 was supposed to speed up the display drivers, I don't think it was seeded for 6 months. AFAIK that's only when the problem came up. It is a problem with the video driver part of the //s tools.

The more hyperbole used, the more irrelevant this board becomes.

9. the_klutzak

the_klutzak Bit poster

I agree that there is a bit of hyperbole - or at least hubris - involved in suggesting that an angry blogger is going to cause a huge hit on corporate profits. Those type of threatening comments DO tend to drive away potential actual representatives that we can only hope are monitoring. Representatives that I must assume are as frustrated by this bug as we are.

That being said, the anger is somewhat understandable.

Its a show-stopping bug; the workaround of a static 1024 pixel display isn't practical for doing much.

I think at this point its on Parallels to inform on an ETA or at least inform on progress towards solving this bug. The more we understand about when a fix may arrive, the less inclined we will be to sit and fume.

The current commercial alternative, Fusion, is a horrible experience from a graphics perspective, but it IS functional. It is a race to see whether they fix that issue, or Parallels fixes their issue first.

10. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

Three weeks now, no new updates. Lets get on with it.

11. jebworks

jebworks Member

OK, so now it's close to a month since this bug hasn't been solved. Any response from the Parallels guys with an ETA would be appreciated.

12. GC_YVR

GC_YVR Member

Parallels posted a notice on the other thread.

13. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

Sadly that "notice" was from more than 2 weeks ago.

14. Stephen110

Stephen110 Bit poster

Are we still going to get an update on this, or has development on 9 been abandoned for Parallels 10?

15. BGaynor

BGaynor Junior Member

It looks like today's update is supposed to fix the issue with 10.9.3 and 10.9.4. One user is saying the update does NOT fix running 10.10 as a guest (which is what I need). Downloading to try now.

16. Abdul@Parallels

Abdul@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi All,

Parallels Desktop 9 for Mac has released a latest build 9.0.24237

In which the list of issues were resolved as mentioned in http://kb.parallels.com/117225

Please refer to http://kb.parallels.com/111603 for information on updating to latest build of Parallels Desktop.

Our Development team are working on it, to run Mac OS X 10.10 Yosemite as Virtual Machine in Parallels Desktop which will be available soon in the upcoming builds/versions.

17. JJFromYYC

JJFromYYC Bit poster

My Parallels auto-update triggered today. After doing a guest tools update I can confirm this is now resolved.

18. JohnMessina

JohnMessina Bit poster

I upgraded to Parallels 10 and was FINALLY able to get Yosemite to install. I then installed Parallels Tools and now all I get when I reboot is a black screen with a "no" symbol. The technology preview for Fusion works perfectly fine with Yosemite, but it's a bit slow. I was hoping the performance would be better with Parallels, but I guess I'll have to hold that thought.

19. sotirisg

sotirisg Bit poster

Same problem here after installing parallels tools and rebooting i get a black screen with the a no symbol. Any ideas?
    I will reinstall yosemite but i will skip the installation of parallel tools this time.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2014
  20. RoyG00

RoyG00 Bit poster

I had the exact same problem, Upgraded to Parallels 10 and black scree with a no symbol after installing parallel tools.