Annoying menu bar in El Capitan

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by sinsro, Oct 1, 2015.

1. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

When running Windows full screen you used to be able to disable the OSX menu from showing up when the mousepointer is close to the upper edge, like this:
    http://kb.parallels.com/en/123101
    This no longer works after upgrading to El Capitan!
    It drives me nuts that every time I move my mousepointer to the upper edge of the screen to close a window in Windows or access a Windows menu, I accidentally trigger the OSX parallels menu bar which then blocks me from doing what I want!
    Is there any workaround for this issue?

MohamedM1 and JoshuaK1 like this.
  2. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

Is this impossible now?

JoshuaK1 likes this.
  3. Hi, did you try to reinstall Parallels Tools?

4. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

I tried that now, and it did not help...

JoshuaK1 likes this.
  5. qtech

qtech Bit poster

I am experiencing he same problem/annoyance.
    I would really wish to disable the OSX menues, when having Parallels in full screen mode.

sinsro and JoshuaK1 like this.
  6. JoshuaK1

JoshuaK1 Bit poster

yes I'm having this same super annoying problem

I wouldn't have upgraded to El Capitan if Parallels had informed us of this issue :(

sinsro likes this.
  7. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

Is there any fix planned for this? Seems a lot of people have the same problem....

8. JoshuaK1

JoshuaK1 Bit poster

I opened a support ticket and the tech kept trying to tell me that it wasn't a problem.

He would disable use Mac full screen and force it to work with no menu bar. Then I'd show him how you can no longer drag files after doing that and you can't slide between screens. That got him frustrated and he said he as escalating but no word yet

Really annoying!

ArunR1 likes this.
  9. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

Sounds like it would be an easy fix for them. I can't believe how they missed such a huge annoyance.

10. Guys, did you upgrade to the latest build of Parallels Desktop 11 and check the issue?

11. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

Yes, I did update to latest version today. Unfortunately this issue is still present.

12. J.R.M1

J.R.M1 Bit poster

I have the same exact issue. Just recently upgraded to El Capitan and HATE this new "feature" that cannot be disabled. (I need to top bar in my GUEST VM, not my Mac!)

No change since updating to 11.0.2 (31348) - Still getting the same behavior.

sinsro likes this.
  13. gmetzker

gmetzker Bit poster

I have the same issue. Parallels 11.0.2
    ElCapitan: 10.11 (15A284)

14. StarShot

StarShot Member

I don't see the OS X dock bar in my Windows 10 operation with Parallels 11. Both have the latest updates.

15. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

I should add that I use Windows 7. Not sure if that makes any difference, since the issue is related to the OSX menu bar and not the host OS.

16. StarShot

StarShot Member

I'm not sure what you want unless it's to make the OS Dock not visible. I'm running Par11/Win10. When I to into setting, I can pull up the menu you mentioned earlier in this thread http://kb.parallels.com/en/123101) and it looks the same to me. I have "Full screen" checked and I don't see ANY of the OS X dock. I don't remember if this Full Screen option was selected by me or it was the default when I loaded Par11/Win10. A change or what seem to be a change to me in Par11 when in Full Screen mode, to bring up viewing options, the command is CMD/Cont/F which I've been look for ever since I installed Par11/Win10. Before discovering this menu option, when I wanted to quickly go back and forth to OS X-Win, the only way was to shut down Win10 and then reload it.

17. Steve4

Steve4 Bit poster

I had the same problem. Latest Parallels (Version 11.0.2/31348) and Windows 10. I'm not sure if it was the latest Parallels update or the El Capitan update, but I hit the same annoying problem in the last few days. Driving me crazy having the menu bar popping up ALL the time and dock popping up occasionally.

The KB article says to uncheck the "Use OX X Full Screen" box in Parallels settings. This settings was checked and greyed out for me, but after I powered down the VM I was able to uncheck it. Booted the VM back up and it automatically installed Parallels Tools, even though it did this after the last Parallels update. One more VM reboot, and it looks like the issue is fixed for me... almost - at least the menu and dock don't appear anymore.

However, now I'm hitting all sorts of issues switching between OSX and Windows. The 4 finger swipe no longer works. I can COMMAND+TAB sometimes, but sometimes I get some mess of OSX Apps on top of my Windows VM. Everything worked better before. I'll keep tweaking things and see if I can get it to 'just work' again.

18. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

I'm talking about the OSX menu bar, not the dock, which pops up in Windows full screen mode when the mouse pointer gets close to the upper edge. It is extremely annoying and hurts workflow to the point where I am considering using BootCamp rather than Parallels.

19. Guys please generate the problem report using this KB and reply us back with the report 8-digit ID number.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  20. sinsro

sinsro Junior Member

"This KB"?