Unable to connect Hard Disk 0

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by RobertM20, Oct 14, 2016.

1. RobertM20

RobertM20 Bit poster

I cannot start the Windows 10. I get an error message stating "Unable to connect Hard Disk 0:
    A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 0 does not exist or is used by another process, or you have no permission to access it. The virtual machine will continue running, but the device will be disconnected." I click on OK and get a terminal-style window that says "no boot device is available, press enter to continue."
    Last night I restored everything on my Mac via Time Machine. This morning I updated to the newest version of Parallels Desktop. I do not know if one or the other process caused the problem.

The Windows 10.pvm file appears to have been corrupted since it has only about 35 MB and it normally has GB.
    After reading how others have resolved similar problems, I tried restoring the Window 10.pvm file from yesterday. However, that did not resolve the problem. I would very much appreciate advice on how to resolve this problem. Thanks in advance for your time and help. I am attaching a screen shot.

Attached Files:

2. RobertM20

RobertM20 Bit poster

I submitted a ticket to Parallels and got this response: "Thank you for contacting Parallels.

From your email,I understand that you upgrade to Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac and having issues accessing Windows 10 virtual machine on your Mac getting message 'A file or device required for the operation of Hard Disk 0 does not exist or is used by another process, '

Please follow instructions provided on kb article http://kb.parallels.com/4680 to fix the issue."

The instructions were not helpful. They directed me to solutions for older versions of Windows and were not applicable to current versions. I will try to schedule a call.

3. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

We see that you have scheduled remote session. One of our Engineer will contact you at the scheduled time.
    Also we're here to help, please try the steps outlined and let us know the size of the .pvm file.

4. RobertM20

RobertM20 Bit poster

Usually the Windows 10.pvm file is about 500-1000 MB. Now it is 34.6MB. I have tried restoring an older larger Windows.pvm file (while saving the bad copy), but that did not help. I also tried restoring the entire Parallels directory, and that did not help either.

5. FranciscoA2

FranciscoA2 Bit poster

I had the same issue with mine. After I got that error I was not able to boot Windows with bootcamp. What vintage is your mac?

6. Hello FranciscoA2, is that a imported Boot camp Windows that you are having trouble with?

7. FranciscoA2

FranciscoA2 Bit poster

It happened when I try creating a virtual machine with Parallels. It failed in the process and it corrupted my bootcamp drive to the point I couldn't boot from it. I was able to restore it by creating an image of that drive and re-applying it. I suspect the issue is with machines that do not support windows 10 natively. The bootcamp drive has to be manually added and not use the automatic process.

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Hi RobertM20,
    If your pvm size is in MBs then you might be using a Boot-camp based VM. Check and make sure you are able to boot Windows in boot camp directly. If you can start Windows in Boot-camp then create new VM or reconfigure hard disk in old VM.

9. Paradodo

Paradodo Bit poster

I had the exact same problem with a bootcamp VM and it turned out that my anti virus software (Bitdefender antivirus) was the culprit. Adding my Windows volume to the exclude list in Bitdefender solved the problem once and for all.

10. Hookahboy

Hookahboy Bit poster

This upgrade ruined my Windows 10 PVM with the same error referred to in the thread. I tried the suggested help article on this issue which seems to be written by someone with very poor command of logic since the series of steps recommended always lead you back to the same point you are starting from.

This was not a bootcamp VM, just plain old Windows 7 Pro VM upgraded carefully to Windows 10 Pro before the free upgrade period expired. I am absolutely appalled at the poor quality of software Parallels puts out and sick and tired of the million times I am exhorted to upgrade to a new upgrade. I usually treat it like click-bait, interesting to glance at but never to click, but in a temporary moment of insanity, I actually upgraded to end up with this disaster. I heartily exhort all users of this software to go on an upgrade strike until this company demonstrates conclusively that the revenues they earn from us is going into software quality assurance.

Pissed off, now an ex-Parallels customer!!!!!

11. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Great! Thank you for sharing the information! Glad the issue has been resolved successfully by uninstalling Anti-Virus Software. We recommend Kaspersky anti-virus for Windows.