Parallels Desktop disables iSight Camera on Macbook Pro with OS X Sierra

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by BorisP1, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BorisP1

BorisP1 Bit poster

After I upgraded from OS X El Capitan to Sierra, whenever Parallels desktop starts, it disables built in camera on my MacBook Pro. After laptop boots, camera works with any application (photo booth, facetime, skype, vydio, etc), but as soon as I start Parallels, camera stops working (green light stops coming on). It happens without starting any virtual machines. I had Parallels 11, then I paid $49 and upgraded to 12 -- no difference. After I reboot, camera works as long as I do not start Parallels Desktop. My laptop is 2012 Retina MacBook Pro.

2. MattC6

MattC6 Bit poster

same thing happens on 2012 MacBook Air. camera works fine, until you start parallels, then it fails. happens every single time.

3. BorisP1

BorisP1 Bit poster

Called support, they checked my computer remotely and confirmed the defect. Bug was assigned to ticket: BZ link #PDFM-76181

4. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

I am having the exact same issue with Parallels 12 and Sierra any idea when a fix is coming

5. GeorgeA3

GeorgeA3 Bit poster

I do as well. Parallels when will a fix be coming?

6. Faivre

Faivre Bit poster

I have the same problem // desktop 12 and Sierra... real pain

7. Fulvio

Fulvio Bit poster

I have the same situation and after start a virtual machine the camera cannot work with any other applications.

8. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

I am trying VMWare (cost me 80.00 to upgrade an old license), wish me luck I perfer Parallels over VMWare but I got to get the issue resolved

9. Fulvio

Fulvio Bit poster

I have tried the VMware in test version but always the same problem. The only virtualizer software without this matter is VirtualBox (on my MBP 2012), but I prefer Parallels

10. BorisP1

BorisP1 Bit poster

Interesting, so something must have changed with the camera on Sierra...

11. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

camera hardware has not change, the app that controls it has had minor changes (El Capitan and Sierra) codebase, this is really a Parallels issue they certify against apple not the other way around! Does anyone from Parallels read these posts? Just asking

12. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

any update on this case?

13. Simon_Forman

Simon_Forman Bit poster

Indeed... any update on this? I need to reboot every time I use my VM.

14. GlennThomas

GlennThomas Member

I am now looking to convert my virtual machine to run on virtual box to try that .. :(

15. YU-HANL1

YU-HANL1 Bit poster

I have the same issue! Techincian checked my computer remotely today also, I hope it can be solve.
    Actually, this issue start from OS X 10.11 BETA but after release of 10.11 is no problem.
    OSX 10.12 BEAT happened again until now even more serious, in my case, reboot can't solve this problem!
    Temperately, I solve it by this way below...
    1. Shutdown PARALLELS.
    2. open Terminal
    3. sudo rm Library/Preferences/com.apple.FaceTime.plist
    4. reboot
    And then you can use the built in camera, but it will disable again after you start again PARALLELS.

16. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Unfortunately it appears to be a problem on Mac OS Sierra and MacbookPro10,1. So far there is no known workaround. The main version is that it is an issue of Mac OS. We are working on it.

RichardM4 likes this.
  17. YU-HANL1

YU-HANL1 Bit poster

Thanks for you attention! We hope the problem will be solved.

18. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

we are still working on the issue, but at the time there is a workaround: see http://kb.parallels.com/en/124015
    There is a simple utility that restarts the facetime camera and make it work without reboot of Mac OS

GeorgeA3 and Fulvio like this.
  19. YU-HANL1

YU-HANL1 Bit poster

I did it but still the same ! after start parllels 12, FaceTime can't use!

20. YU-HANL1

YU-HANL1 Bit poster

Sorry forget the files for your reference...
    Screen Shot 2016-10-20 at 23.57.35.png Screen Shot 2016-10-21 at 00.00.23.png