Solidworks running slow

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GregorR1, May 19, 2016.

1. GregorR1

GregorR1 Bit poster

Hi there,
    I am running Solidworks 2016 on Windows 10 through Parallels 11 on a Mac Pro desktop 3.5GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 processor with duel firepro d700 graphics and 16gb RAM.
    I am experiencing relatively slow performance within Solidworks which of course shouldn't be happening with this level of hardware so I am assuming that the problem is something to do with Parallels.
    I have tried to read the forum to find an answer and I've found Solidworks has released a patch for an "open gl"(?) but I don't know what that is or how to implement it to solve my problem so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
    Gregor.

2. marat_t

marat_t Pro

Hi Gregor,
    I believe the issue is caused by disabled 3d acceleration in Solidworks. to make it available, please follow this article: http://kb.parallels.com/en/122790
    and then enable it in Solidworks. it should improve performance drastically.

3. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

My system actually runs much worse with 3d acceleration. Zooming is slow and entry is slow when typing.

4. Raj@Parallels

Raj@Parallels Guest

Have you tried applying Solidworks 2016 patch?
    Then, reinstall Parallels Tools from Mac menu Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and keep us posted the result.

5. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

I have done that. With acceleration on, when I click / highlight a feature in the feature tree, the feature slowly becomes outlined in orange. The feature isn't selected until the entire feature has been outline. The only way to make this stop is to turn of 3D Acceleration.

6. Guna@Parallels

Guna@Parallels Parallels Support

Dear @JustinR3
    Are you using Solidworks 2017? Could you please generate a Problem Report ID & post it here?

7. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

I just submitted the problem report and here is the ID: 143495857

8. BumpMan

BumpMan Junior Member

Hi I am having poor performance in solidworks 2017 as well, Its a new installation I had 2016 running very smoothly on the same setup but I remember enabling 3d hardware acceleration in my 2016 installation but I don't see any KB about doing the same for solidworks 2017. Please any help its really hard to use its so choppy.

9. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

That's what I did... I also opened up the settings after start up and unchecked the box for "use software OpenGL." Without unchecking that box, it still was SUPER choppy and messed up when trying to highlight faces. Seems weird to enable it to turn it off, but that's what seemed to help for me.

Now, the only issue I'm having is Windows randomly freezing up for a few seconds at a time where it acts as if the mouse can't interact with anything.

10. BumpMan

BumpMan Junior Member

Hey Justin, how do you uncheck "use software OpenGL"? I opened solidworks and its checked but greyed out so I can't uncheck it. Again using SW2017. Also, when you said "Thats what I did." what were you referring to? did you enable 3d Hardware acceleration somewhere? I don't see a KB with 2017. The link above that marat posted doesn't have an entry for solidworks 2017??

Just to be clear, the check box is checked and greyed out even with no files open.

11. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

I believe I went to the KB that has the registry entires for 2010 through 2016 and sent in a request for a 2017 version. Someone from Parallels sent me the files. I forgot that's what happened until I went to the KB and saw it didn't include 2017. I just did a clone / restore of my system and had to redo my SolidWorks install.

12. BumpMan

BumpMan Junior Member

Ah, ok, how did you put in that request for the files? Could you email them to me?? ;)

13. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

If I remember correctly, I messaged their Twitter support referencing the old KB telling them I needed updated files. I don't mind emailing them to you. I tried posting them here but the rules of the forum don't allow it.

14. BumpMan

BumpMan Junior Member

Thanks Justin Sent you a PM with my email! Don't know why they haven't been appended to that other post. Thanks would love those files from you.

15. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We are glad to see your active participation here. You can reach us anytime for support.

16. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

If you haven't received the files from JustinR3, please let us know.

17. MattB6

MattB6 Bit poster

Hi Ajith, are those files going to be posted anywhere? I'm definitely in need of them as well. Thanks

18. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You can refer this thread and make use of the attachment of FredericJ2 and check. If you are still facing issues, let us know.

19. JRowske

JRowske Junior Member

This post should be updated to included the download for the 2017 files.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We've forwarded your request to the concerned team. You can use these files until the article is updated.

Attached Files: