MacBook Pro Won't Wake From Sleep If Parallels Is Running?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by JohnL1, May 28, 2015.

1. Sorry my bad. You meant that Mac hanged and you didn't start Parallels Desktop? right? And Mac hanged once you start it?

2. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

Still no fix. I even created a new Windows 10 VM to make sure it wasn't some setting or something I had installed.

Maria, please have someone higher up in the company contact me in order to explain what Parallels has done and is trying to do to address this issue. This is ridiculous.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017
  3. StevenP8

StevenP8 Bit poster

Hi

Is there any update on this. I've had intermittent freezing upon waking my macbook pro for sometime. It's a huge pain. I've finally figured out that it only happens when i have Parallels Desktop running. Then I found this thread.... Is there a resolution? Update?

Thanks...

4. ZacB1

ZacB1 Junior Member

Nothing from Parallels. And the support staff are pretty terrible. They ignore what you write which results in non-sequitor responses to issues and fixing problems like this are an extremely low priority.

Here's what I've been able to deduce: If the VM successfully pauses, it does not cause wake-from-sleep issues. The problem is more prevalent when going from AC to battery power immediately before putting the machine to sleep. On AC power, the pause timer is set longer. If you are able to go into settings and leave the VM in "travel mode," you can at least minimize the occurrence. I've also filed reports with Apple and can only hope that their engineers can come up with creative ways to sandbox sloppy applications that require low-level hardware access.

5. StevenP8

StevenP8 Bit poster

Thanks ZacB - very helpful suggestion, I will try that out. You never know, with Hi Sierra around the corner, Apple/Parallels may surprise yet!

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @StevenP8, please be informed that the update for Parallels Desktop 12 for Mac 12.2.1 (41615) addresses this issue. Parallels strongly recommend keeping your copy of Parallels Desktop up-to-date. To download the latest update go to Parallels Desktop menu > Check for Updates.

7. StevenP8

StevenP8 Bit poster

I don't think it does fix it. I installed 41615 as soon as it appeared (2 / 3 days ago?) and i had a frozen mac this evening on startup.
    I did see the release note on 41615:
    - Resolves an issue with Visual Studio freezing after the Mac wakes up
    I don't run Visual Studio under Parallels. If it were in fact a wider fix than this, why not say so?

8. AndreasB6

AndreasB6 Bit poster

I am also having this issue on a Retina iMac, new to build 41615 (this didn't happen before). When the display is off (energy saver) on the iMac the video on the iMac never resumes when you try and wake it up. However I have a 2nd monitor plugged in, and that one will show video (so I can at least reboot the mac) but this only happens when a Parallels VM is running. It takes a reboot to get the video back on the iMac.

Something broke in 41615 because I never have had an issue before.

9. Smiles

Smiles Bit poster

I have used Parallels for years and never had this problem. I got a new MacBook Pro last year and am using ver 13 and this problem started happening. Is anybody at Parallels looking into this?

10. FrankH13

FrankH13 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue with macOS Mojave and Parallels Desktop 14. When the Mac resumes from sleep, the login screen hangs and the cursor never appears. This only happens when the VM is running.
    This is extremely annoying. I just bought the update to PD v14 in the hope that this issue is fixed, but it is not.

11. Hi, are you running the latest build of Parallels Desktop 14? If yes, please generate the problem report using these steps and reply us back with the report ID. Please generate a report right after the issue reproduced.

12. FrankH13

FrankH13 Bit poster

I'm running Version 14.1.0 (45387). Report ID is 295529568. Please note that I have to reboot the Mac in order to generate the report.

13. I've transferred all info about the issue to the Parallels Engineering team. We will contact you once any updates will be available. Thanks a lot for cooperation.

14. Franklin, we need one more report from you.
    There are the instructions:
    1. Start your Mac
    2. Start Parallels Desktop,
    3. Then let you Mac turn to the sleep more,
    4. After that wake up Mac -> reproduce the issue.
    5. Then restart Mac, start Parallels Desktop again and generate the problem report.
    Looking forward to your reply and thanks a lot for your cooperation.

15. FrankH13

FrankH13 Bit poster

New report ID is 298343754. I'm now running version 14.1.1, however the issue still persists.

16. Did you update to the 14.1.3? And does the issue still persist?

17. BirgerH

BirgerH Bit poster

Having the very same issue, several times per day: Mac mini i7, late 2012, 16 GB, 1TB SSD, OS X 10.15.5, Parallels 15 (updated to latest version), Windows 10 (with all updates) and MS Office 365 (with all the updates). The only solution may involve avoiding the Mac going to sleep in Parallel mode by first clicking the OS X desktop and then let the Mac sleep. Or set the Mac to "never sleep".

18. BirgerH

BirgerH Bit poster

Can add that this just happened again. However, another computer in the house was connected to my Mac through screen sharing, and through that computer I could log in and wake up the screen on my Mac.

19. Hello, could you please share with us your macOS and VM OS versions?