CD/DVD Sources not listed

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by David MC, Jun 24, 2017.

1. David MC

David MC Member

As you can see in the screen shot, i have TWO CD/DVD drives, but neither is listed in the prefs->hardware->CD/DVD->sources list. i tried rebooting both guest and host, i tried removing the virtual CD/DVD "hardware" and re-adding it.

I'm on Version 12.2.0 (41591)
    Parallels DesktopScreenSnapz001.png

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @David MC , please Click Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and let us know if that works.

JohnD15 likes this.
  3. David MC

David MC Member

nope. screen shot is from AFTER reinstalling Parallels Tools and restarting the Guest.

JohnD15 likes this.
  4. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @David MC , did you click Configure and try locating the CD/DVD and try to map it ?

5. David MC

David MC Member

yes, after i updated parallels tools, i shut down the Guest, went to configure, deleted the existing virtual CD, added a new one, and got what you see in the below screen shot.

6. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

David, please send us a tech report via Help menu > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here.

7. David MC

David MC Member

Report ID: 192177983

8. David MC

David MC Member

hello?

9. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you for the report, David.
    In the report we see that there are multiple USB devices connected to the Mac.
    You're using a USB hub, right?
    If you connect optical drives directly to the MacBook, do they become available in Parallels Desktop context menu?

10. David MC

David MC Member

when i connect it directly, yes i can see and use the CD drive in the guest OS. However this failure is new behavior: i have been using my setup (using USB hubs) forever and it has ALWAYS worked, this is a new regression. it should work. My host OS can see the drive, and use it just fine.

11. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you for the clarification, David.
    Can you please connect all the devices (your usual setup) to the Mac and post an information from USB tab of Mac system report? (About this Mac > System Report... > USB)

12. David MC

David MC Member

13. David MC

David MC Member

still waiting. this is kindof a problem guys

14. David MC

David MC Member

15. ImranA

ImranA Bit poster

I too am fed up with this problem as I have my USB BluRay CD/DVD device connected to the 2017 MacBook Pro retina laptop and it only has USB-C so there is no way I can even 'plug directly' to the Mac without some device in the middle.

2 weeks of no response to the OP's last reply is shocking considering we are paying every month for this product, it is not like some old paid up version we are trying to run on new Macs.

However, David, in the interest of full disclosure, and to help Parallels team, if there is one fewer device/hub in the way, the CD drive will show up in Parallels. e.g. in my case if I use a USB-C hub's USB-3 port just for the drive and not for a USB-3 HUB. i.e. if the level of nesting goes to 3 the CD does not show up. But I think you already saw that in your testing.

Parallels does need to solve the problem as I cannot unplug my USB-hub with all my other devices to use the CD drive because then I cannot do what I need to do with the data from CD that has to go to the drives connected via the USB-3 hub.

Thanks/

IMRAN

David MC likes this.
  16. David MC

David MC Member

seriously, please give me a status update!

17. Elric

Elric Parallels Team

Hi,
    Thank you for the report. It was really an issue in Parallels Desktop. It is quite rare and happens when device is connected through several hubs. We have just fixed this internally.

18. David MC

David MC Member

YAAAY! THANK you for letting me know.

19. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know if the issue persists.