Configuring memory in Parallels 13

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by CraigF1, Oct 19, 2017.

1. CraigF1

CraigF1 Bit poster

I'm a virtual newbie to Parallels (used it a long time ago but haven't used it for years). I have an iMac with 16GB RAM and want to allocate 8GB RAM, but Parallels is auto configured to 2GB. I've read the article 113649 which instructs to shut down the virtual machine then change the memory, but when I close Windows the configure option is no longer available. What am I doing wrong?

2. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

3. CraigF1

CraigF1 Bit poster

Thanks Alfena, sorted! I thought it would be something simple... :eek:)

4. Alfena@Parallels

Alfena@Parallels Pro

Hello @CraigF1 , Glad to know it works. We are always here to help

5. DougA3

DougA3 Bit poster

The directions on that link don't work for me. It says to start parallels and go to control panel, which then says to shut parallels before adjusting. Just going in circles here...

6. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @DougA3, you will be able to adjust the settings when your virtual machine is not running but its window is present on the screen, or when your virtual machine is running in Windowed mode.

7. Kristine2

Kristine2 Bit poster

Hello, I guess I have the same issue as DougA3. When I run parallel 13, a window pop up saying "The specified video memory size is invalid" so I found the configuration of windows 10, however it says "To be able the change the settings on this page, resume the virtual machine and shut it down" and I could not make any changes on this page. What can I do?

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Try to force quit/kill the virtual machine directly from the Activity Monitor then change the graphics memory.