Unable to Locate Assembly Components in SolidWorks

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Schmitz&, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Schmitz&

Schmitz& Bit poster

I am working on my laptop, the secondary system, which is a MacBook Pro running Parallels 13 with Windows 10 Pro and SolidWorks 2018.

Prior to a Windows update yesterday, I was working on an assembly in SolidWorks 2018 which when reopening the assembly file, had no issues.

Windows did an update and now when I open the assembly file, I am prompted to locate the assembly components. This occurs every time that I open the file.

Any suggestions as to why I have this issue now?

2. Schmitz&

Schmitz& Bit poster

It seems to be an issue with Windows and Parallels. When moving the assembly to a "local" drive on the VM, it works as it should yet the same assembly file will not work properly when using the /Mac// location.

3. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi Schmitz&. Were you able to run the assembly file on the /Mac// location before the recent Windows update? (Would like to clarify this part.)

4. Schmitz&

Schmitz& Bit poster

Yes I was working on the assembly prior to the update. I closed down Solidworks are break time, Windows wanted to do the update and proceeded with that. Parallels also did an update at this stage and afterwards, the issue with not seeing the /MAC// drive as a native drive (I assume) occurred.

5. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

This could mean that Parallels Tools aren't properly installed. Please install Parallels Tools and check if it helps.

6. Schmitz&

Schmitz& Bit poster

I saw an option to reinstall Parallels Tools and went through that process but it didn't resolve the issue.

7. AlexR5

AlexR5 Bit poster

I am having this same issue. I am unable to open assemblies that are in my Mac drive but the "local" C drive assemblies open fine. Any resolution?

8. ArnoR1

ArnoR1 Bit poster

Same problem here and Solidworks call to tech support did not help much. Reinstalling the Parallels Tools does not help either. If anyone find a solution, it would be greatly appreciated.

9. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @ArnoR1 , do you have any snapshots taken before this issue started?

10. MitchellS

MitchellS Bit poster

Has anyone found a solution to this problem? I just got a new laptop with with the most recent updates and have now run into this same problem. thx

11. TylerC3

TylerC3 Bit poster

Same problem here

12. Rodrigo5

Rodrigo5 Bit poster

any update ?? same problem still re installing tool bar did not work

13. FrodoN

FrodoN Bit poster

has anyone found a solution to this problem?

14. AliA9

AliA9 Bit poster

The only solution that worked for me is to browse for each file SolidWorks is asking for which is tedious.

Hope this help.

-Ali

15. Rodrigo5

Rodrigo5 Bit poster

You have to run the windows and Mac file sharing separately so you have to disable isolation

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2018
  16. JasonP14

JasonP14 Bit poster

Also having this issue as of may 2019. Anyone find a fix for this? If I save files in the local C partition for parallels, I have no referencing issues and assemblies open normally. If I save the part files within the C partition and save the assembly on the mac partition, I am able to open the assembly without error. It seems like what ever parts are saved on the mac partition are not openable by solidworks.

Interestingly, if I copy the path that solidworks is saying it cant open, and paste it into windows explorer, the part file opens up automatically just fine.

Also, if I go to File>open and click on a mac partition saved assembly, and click the "References..." button I get the following error:
    "Cannot edit file references. Either the file is not a valid SOLIDWORKS document or it has not been saved in SOLIDWORKS 97 or later."

I get this error even if I make a fresh test assembly of one fresh test part I just made in solidworks 2015 which was saved to the mac partition.

When I use SOLIDWORKS Explorer 2015 and I look at the assembly files which have reference failures, The paths are there and look normal (see attached image). The parts in that assembly were freshly made stupid simple parts and the assembly file itself is saved in the same directory.

This is very frustrating.

EDIT: I have found that if I have the part files (saved on the mac partition) open already, the assembly that references them is able to open without any errors!

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  17. AlR5

AlR5 Bit poster

I'm now having this same irritating issue after a recent update. I have a Solidworks folder within my Documents folder. I tried editing the Search Paths category in File Locations in the system options. I also made sure that the Search file locations for external references option is selected in External References in the system options. None of that worked.

After being disappointed that no one had figured it out in 2-1/2 years, and after suffering with it for months now, I just figured out a solution:

When you click [File][Open], there are some convenient "Quick access" locations and "This PC" locations on the top left. If I browse to my assembly or drawing file from either of these conveniently placed shortcuts, it results in Solidworks not being able to locate component files that live in the same folder.

Don't select the Documents folder from either of these areas. Instead, scroll down to the mapped drives. In my case it is "Home on 'Mac' (Y:)". Once I select that mapped drive, I browsed to my Documents folder and on to my Solidworks file locations. Now, Solidworks has no trouble finding the files when I open assemblies and drawings.

18. >>> Message has been deleted by the user <<<

19. RobertB43

RobertB43 Bit poster

Oh wow thanks! Just updated, discovered this issue, found this thread, thought it still not resolved, but here you are solved it! Appreciate it!

20. DanielG24

DanielG24 Bit poster

OMG thank you! How insanely unintuitive. I am reminded why I use a Mac and wish Onshape was a bit more mature.

PrometheusT likes this.