Bad performance in Coherence Mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by JohnNash, Sep 7, 2017.

1. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

Since the new version came out, performance in Coherence mode is terrible. Basically it seems that if any UWA app like Mail or OneNote is running, then performance goes down. Typing shows significant lag to the point where when you type a character there will be a momentary delay before it appears on the screen. In apps like Outlook 2016, if you right click on a misspelled word, the context menu will take a moment to appear rather than just pop up like you would expect. The issue doesn't seem to occur in windowed mode or full screen, just coherence.

Any suggestions?

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @JohnNash , please try Actions > Reinstall Parallels Tools and check if that works.

3. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you, work has been busy and I opted to run in full screen vs coherence so I could get my job done. I removed and reinstalled the tools and I still have the same issue.

4. JyriJ

JyriJ Bit poster

I'm suffering the same problem when i'm using Coherence view. Os versions: (MacBookPro11,4) macOS 10.12.6 and Windows 8.1 Pro with latest updates. After Parallels restart (shut down Win 8.1, shut down Parallels and restart both) windows works better but the performance seems to degrade after few hours and especially in Outlook working starts to be impossible because window updates are so slow. Changing between Outlook folders might take up to 50 seconds, normally it happens in a blink of eye. If I exit Coherence, everything is working as it should be. As soon as I get back to Coherence the sluggisneh repeats. The problem started when I upgraded to 13.0 (now I have 13.0.1). My extrnal display is Samsung with 3440x1440 resolution.

5. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JyriJ, we released a new update Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Update 1 (13.1.0-43108) and this update addresses this issue. To check for updates, click on the Parallels Desktop menu on Mac menu bar and select Check for Updates: http://kb.parallels.com/124262

6. SteveP5

SteveP5 Bit poster

I have been having this issue as well on a new 2017 iMac with an SSD and 32 GB ram. I only use Quicken and Safari, but on first launch, Safari doesn't even respond and Quicken launches very slowly in Coherence. I've downloaded the update too.

7. Arun@Parallels

Hi @SteveP5 , are the applications working correctly in Normal mode?

8. SteveP5

SteveP5 Bit poster

No its the same. I think thats its the applications themselves. I use Quicken mainly and Safari. Quicken takes a very long time to start up and Safari never loads a page. If I quit them and start again, they run at top speed. Other applications, like Chrome for example, never have a problem.

9. Arun@Parallels

Hi @SteveP5, please follow the steps suggested in the article and let us know if that helps.

10. SteveP5

SteveP5 Bit poster

That didn't help. But, what I did do was finally upgrade to Windows 10. Windows 7 is pretty old. This solved my speed problem as well as a Retina display problem I was having. All good now.

11. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

Hello @SteveP5 We are glad that you have resolved the issue. We are always here to help you.

12. JyriJ

JyriJ Bit poster

Hello Paul

After I upgraded th parallels, I cav see a slightly better performance. From 40 sec to 30 sec to open a folder in Outlook. Just to be sure it is not the win 8.1.. I tested also windows 10 with latest updates. I can't see any differnece between these two. In a window ok. with coherence after an hour; unusable. Stop virtual client os, stop Parallels, start over again and you may work an other hour in Coherence.

13. Arun@Parallels

Hi @JyriJ , please try uninstalling and reinstalling Parallels Desktop for Mac and check if that works.

14. waveen

waveen Bit poster

Hello,

I have exactly the same issue. Running coherence in parallels 13 slows down the VM after a while, so much that it is impossible to work. In full screen mode or windowed mode it's better but still worse then in parallels 12. I downgraded back to parallels 12 and in parallels 12 the same machine is running smoothly in all modes (also in coherence mode). I have this issue both on my iMac 27" and my macbook pro 15". Both are very up to date macs that perform well with all other software.

I am running a Windows 10 virtual machine on the latest parallels 13 builds,

thanks for any advice that might help,

regards,

Wouter.

15. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

The best I can figure it is that if you open anything that leverages any of the Windows Store stuff is where the problems begin. Example - OneNote from the store slows down the PC in coherence but OneNote 2016 from Office 2016 doesn't. It also seems like a lot of the context menus use whatever code is causing the issue also. I've learned that you can use coherence but based on your task you might need to switch to windowed mode for certain tasks.

16. PaulChristopher@Parallels

PaulChristopher@Parallels Product Expert Staff Member

Hi @JohnNash, please shut down the virtual machine and go to it's VM configuration settings, Hardware -> USB & Bluetooth ->Advanced settings -> untick " Enable USB 3.0" and check out the virtual machine performance.

17. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

I'll give that a shot and report back.

18. JohnNash

JohnNash Member

Nope - same thing.

19. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @JohnNash, I will create a support ticket for you. Our engineers will contact you for further troubleshooting.

20. HernanV

HernanV Bit poster

Hi, I have the same problem as @JohnNash. Have you been able to fix it?