Windows 10 - Unresponsive / spinning wheel

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by MichaelK20, Sep 29, 2017.

1. MichaelK20

MichaelK20 Bit poster

After an hour on phone support where they basically removed and installed Parallels tools twice, I thought I would try my luck here. Here is the situation.

Two month new MacBook Pro running Sierra 10.12.6 with updated Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed (but failed pre-creator edition version) - started being very unresponsive, especially when clicking on start or the taskbar. It would take up to 30 seconds for it to open. Sometimes reverts to normal, but usually it's unusable in this state. The desktop also "refreshes" several times. Everything blinks and then comes back. Things I've done (none have worked):

After running the DSIM to try to repair, created an entirely new VM for Windows 10, starting from scratch. Removed and reinstalled tools - changed resources (doubling from 4 to 8gb mem, 2 to 4 cores). Deleted Parallels completely and purchased the corporate version for this laptop, pointed it to the new VM I created. Still not working right. Changed small things like syncing time, turned off shared desktop, etc.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MichaelK20 , Do you experience any performance issues on any Mac applications other than Parallels Desktop for Mac?

3. AndrewB24

AndrewB24 Bit poster

Similar issues here. Parallels Pro 13, MacOS High Sierra, iMac 27" 5k late 2015 Fusion Drive 3.1 TB Core-i7 4 GHz with Windows 10 Pro VM.
    Mac part all seems fine. Windows VM has similar behavior to what you've described, and long lags/delays. Disk IO appears very slow in Windows VM. Take a look at the attached screenshot -- This one shows 99% disk but extremely low data throughput. Again, Mac side seems okay.

Attached Files:

4. JosephL6

JosephL6 Junior Member

Is there any word about a fix for this issue?

This just started happening to me yesterday. Same issue with the taskbar being extremely slow to appear, spinning wheel, finally (after 10 minutes) seems to function normally.

I have a brand new MacBook Pro, with new installations of parallels and windows.

Are there any solutions that seem to work?
    Thanks,
    Jerry

5. TimC7

TimC7 Bit poster

I have been having this issue for months. Thought it was my old 2007 24" iMac which was running El Capitan and Desktop 13. Up to 10 minutes for windows vm to load and be usable, which is a bummer as I only use it for MS Publisher! So now I have a brand spanking 3.5ghz 27" 2017 Mac. Thought it would solve speed issues. In fact it's even slower!! What the hell is going on? It's almost making the VM unusable and unstable.

6. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @AndrewB24 , please follow the steps suggested here and let us know if that helps.

7. TimC7

TimC7 Bit poster

Hi, I've tried all those steps (had done so some time ago but checked again today) and it makes no difference. 8mins to load windows in parallels and be able to use MS Publisher. I am relieved - judging by the posts above - that it's not just me. As posted above I have had this problem on two Macs now. I have been contemplating completely reinstalling windows but I will hold off as I don't think this is an MS issue as I had it in parallels 11 in El Capitan on last machine.

8. Dr.T2

Dr.T2 Bit poster