Could not install Topaz Studio under Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MikeFromMesa, Dec 18, 2017.

1. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

I have several Topaz plugins and the new Topaz Studio installed on my Mac to use with my photo editors (AffinityPhoto and PhotoLine) and decided to install the Windows version under Parallels to use with a Windows photo editor I have running in the VM. The plugins installed with no problem but the Topaz Studio install failed. It first told me that it could not create a link because the target did not exist and offered me the option to continue anyway. I chose the continue option, but then the install told me that my machine did not meet the technical specs required for Topaz Studio, and the install rolled back.

I tried this in both Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 VMs, but both failed in exactly the same way. Of course my machine meets the technical specs for Topaz Studio as it runs properly on the Mac side so I do not understand why it will not install under Parallels. My machine specs are: Late 2014 Mac Mini, i7 chip, 16GB RAM, 256GB system ssd running High Sierra. The Mini has uses integrated Intel graphics, not a separate video card. I have configured Parallels to use more virtual memory than the default.

UPDATE:

I have done some additional research into this issue by looking up the minimum requirements to run Topaz Studio and then comparing them to the Parallel configuration values. It may be (and I stress "may") that the amount of memory allocated for the graphics card (or, in my case, allocated for Intel Iris) is too small. The configuration value specified in the Parallels configuration screen is 512MB while Topaz lists the minimum as 1GB. I will change the value in the Parallels configuration setting, even if just to see if that fixed the issue, and post as to whether or not that fixed the issue.

UPDATE 2:

No. That did not fix the problem.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
  2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi MikeFromMesa. The cause of the issue is that Parallels Desktop does not support OpenGL 3.3, which is one system requirement for Topaz Studio, according to this article. The following are the programs/games requiring OpenGL 3.0 which have started working with Parallels Desktop 13: (1) DIALux 6 evo (2) Northgard (game, Early Access since Feb 2017) (3) Unigine Heaven & Valley benchmark (4) OpenGL Extenstions Viewer (glviewer). Other programs which require OpenGL 3.0 and higher support do not work with Parallels Desktop yet. Parallels engineering team can only develop support for such applications one by one. Please post your suggestion/vote for the program(s) you need here.

3. MikeFromMesa

MikeFromMesa Member

Thank you. I have posted in support of the application.

At least I finally know why the installer does not work under Parallels 13.

4. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hopefully, support for this program should be given soon. Appreciate your time.