How do you collapse dock when using coherence

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by CodyS1, Feb 6, 2018.

1. CodyS1

CodyS1 Bit poster

In coherence mode, when I enlarge a parallels application, it won't stretch past the dock. If I exit coherence and switch to full screen mode, all applications will fill the screen and the dock will hide and show itself only as you run the mouse past the bottom of the screen. Just curious if there's a way for me to fully enlarge application windows in coherence to fit my full display and the dock collapse (hide & show) as it would with any of my Mac applications. I prefer working in individual applications rather than switching between desktop views.

I am currently running Parallels Desktop 13 for Mac Home Edition on my 2016 15" MacBook Pro.

I'll attach a photo of an application fully enlarged in coherence mode. Note that it won't stretch to the bottom of the screen and collapse the dock as it would in the Desktop/fullscreen mode or as a regular Mac application would.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  2. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @CodyS1, to do this you need to enable 'Automatically hide and show the Dock' feature at System Preferences > Dock. Then Parallels Desktop will "take" the entire desktop screen and all guest apps in Coherence will expand to the bottom.

3. CodyS1

CodyS1 Bit poster

That works but is that the only option? Because I only like my dock to hide/show when I have an application fully enlarged. I don't seem to have this issues with any applications besides parallels. My dock will typically be on permanent display until I fully enlarge an app and then it will toggle between hide/show as i move my mouse over the bottom of the screen. I don't know why my parallels apps don't have that same functionality.

4. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

By "fully enlarge" you mean toggling Full Screen mode? I've checked with Safari and Finder, all Mac applications behave the same way: if you want to enlarge app window to maximum while staying in windowed mode - you cannot overlay the Dock. You can also toggle Full Screen for any Windows application while being in Coherence.