Restore from backup VM disappeared

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ColinJ2, Mar 28, 2018.

1. ColinJ2

ColinJ2 Junior Member

I think I posted this yesterday but I can't find it.
    Anyway my Mac hung up so I decided to restore it from my Time Machine backup.
    It worked perfectly except Parallels is not there anymore and Windows isn't either.
    I reinstalled Parallels and windows but all my files and programs have gone
    I think I'm resigned to starting from scratch but would appreciate some advice regarding windows because when I reinstalled I was asked to pay you but I think I already have.
    Your advice would be greatly appreciated,
    Colin

2. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi ColinJ2. Let's try and restore the Windows virtual machine from Time Machine backup properly. Please click on the Parallels Desktop icon in the Mac menu bar on the top (it looks like 2 parallel red lines), select 'Control Center' from the menu that appears, right-click on where the Windows installation you are using is shown within the Control Center window and select 'Show in Finder' from the menu that appears. This takes you straight to the virtual machine file on the Mac (it is a file with the extension '.pvm'). Once you see it, take note of its size. If this size is lesser than the remaining disk space on your Mac, then, while the window in which you see the .pvm file is open, enter Time Machine, wherein you will see the .pvm file in the Time Machine interface. Now, navigate to the .pvm file backup, make a copy of it and paste it under Macintosh HD/Users/(username)/Parallels. Wait till the copy/paste operation completes. Finally, double-click on the restored .pvm file and run it [select 'Moved' (or 'Use Current') when asked to choose between 'Moved' and 'Copied' (or 'Use Current' and 'Create New')]. Use this article for reference.

3. ColinJ2

ColinJ2 Junior Member

Hi, and thanks but I don't see the Parallels 2 red lines just a message saying " Parallels desktop can I be started. Please Reinstall Parallels Desktop...."
    I have tried an earlier time machine back up and the lines are there.

Should I try that one?
    I'll lose Some files but I can cope with that.
    Your advice please,
    Colin

4. ColinJ2

ColinJ2 Junior Member

I forgot to mention that I can see the Windows 10.PVM file in the backup which does not display the to read parallel lines.
    Is there a workaround on this?
    Finally,
    When I did reinstall Parallels and Windows 10 yesterday I was asked to pay for Windows 10 again.
    Hope that all makes sense,
    Colin

5. ColinJ2

ColinJ2 Junior Member

I forgot to mention that I can also see the parallels desktop applications on the Macintosh hard drive.
    It is dated February 14, 2018 546.5 MB clicking on it brings up the message "parallels desktop cannot be started "

6. Hemnath@Parallels

Hemnath@Parallels Parallels Support

We've created a support ticket for you and sent you an e-mail. Please check it and revert.