[SOLVED] Can not enter product key after hard drive failure

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AlanD7, Jun 26, 2018.

1. AlanD7

AlanD7 Bit poster

I have a customer who's hard drive failed and needed to be replaced. Everything but Parallels is working because it is missing the product key. My customer did not write down the key but I do have the original licenses.xml file and all the rest of the plist and config files. I can't put the old drive back in another machine and get the key that way since the OS will not start. My customer did not find the key on his parallels account. I'm using the same version (Parallels 11) on the new machine so the license file should work. "prlsrvctl info --license" shows nothing after I copy over the license file.
    I need some help on how to transfer a valid license file on to a new machine. Every help article I've come across is not helping so I'm appealing to the community.
    Right now I've got him on the 14 day trial so at least he can get work done but I've got to get this completed.
    Thanks,
    Alan

2. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello AlanD7, Please check our private conversation.

3. AlanD7

AlanD7 Bit poster

Did you get my reply in the private conversation?

4. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Yes, we received your reply and I have provided the information. Kindly check our private conversation.

5. AlanD7

AlanD7 Bit poster

For anybody with my same question this is how it was solved:
    -You first need the product key. Huge thanks to AJ for getting me that since my customer did not have it.
    -Sign on to the parallels account and deactivate the old computer (I added a different admin user but i'm not sure that is necessary)
    -Move the Parallels app to the trash and reinstall, getting the updates in the process
    -When the program starts you will not see a box to enter the product key, if you do then don't even try putting it in - it won;t work. You will see a choice of keys to pick from, that is how you know you did it right. Pick it and you're good to go.

6. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Perfect! Thank you, Please feel free to reach us any time for any queries regarding Parallels.