Does the new version 14 support OpenGL 3.3?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HellenB, Aug 21, 2018.

1. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

I need version of OpenGL 3.3 and I wonder if it is now supported with the new version.

VeruM likes this.
  2. YaoY

YaoY Bit poster

That;s something I want to know too

3. FriedrichW

FriedrichW Junior Member

So far I can see the highest is 3.2 but not fully implemented.
    You can check with the tools from http://www.gpuinfo.org

4. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

I know it works with windows 10, because I work now with bootcamp on my Mac, and that works with the software I needed openGL 3.3 for.
    Besides windows 10 is much faster then under parallels, the only problem is that you have to restart your Mac every time you want to use windows 10.
    So I think I will not upgrade to version 14.

5. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

While booted to Boot Camp Windows uses exclusive Windows drivers provided by Apple, that's why it works there.
    While booted to macOS and using Windows in virtual machine, macOS video driver is used that is very limited and does not support OpenGL compatibility profile, meaning we are currently unable to implement OpenGL 3.3 and higher support.

What software are you using?

6. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

I'm using Vasco da Gama 11 (Motion Studios). Magix software PhotoStory de Luxe works also much faster on my bootcamp partion. These are the two programms, I once bought parallels for, now I'm thinking to completely remove parallels.

7. PaulC12

PaulC12 Bit poster

If it's the macOS video driver, then why does Fusion 10 support OpenGL 3.3?
    In addition, when Apple depreciated OpenGL earlier this year I thought for sure Parallels 14 would finally include Metal support. Sadly, its non-existent again this year while your main competitor introduced support in Fusion 10 last year!! Come on guys!

8. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

I agree with Paul

9. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you @HellenB, I've added your programs to the list for checking possibility to support them in virtual environment. So are these programs don't work at all in Parallels Desktop or there's performance/graphics issues?

10. Dmitry@Parallels

Fusion supports OpenGL 3.3 core profile + 3.0 compatibility profile (see https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2139606) while Parallels Desktop provides support for 3.2 core profile + 3.2 compatibility profile for a dozen of Windows applications and overall provides more extended OpenGL support. Compatibility profile is used much more frequently by Windows applications. If you know for 100% any program X that works on Fusion but does not work in Parallels Desktop please let me know.

As for performance, in Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac we have implemented Automatic Video Memory feature for Windows 7+ using aperture segment. If your Mac is equipped wih GPU that has 2+ vRAM, simply assign more RAM for the virtual machine and Windows will use up to half of assigned RAM for video purposes (8GB RAM - up to 4GB of vRAM), which will boost graphics performance in virtual environment.

11. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

It works with Magix Photostory Software, but not so fast as with bootcamp. It doesn't work with Vasco da Gama 11, this software absolutely requires OPenGL 3.3.
    My Mac: Modelaanduiding: iMac16,2
    Processornaam: Intel Core i5
    Processorsnelheid: 2,8 GHz
    Aantal processors: 1
    Totale aantal cores: 4
    L2-cache (per core): 256 KB
    L3-cache: 4 MB
    Geheugen: 8 GB

12. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you! Can you please send us a technical data report via Parallels menu > Help > Send Technical Data...
    Please post the report ID here. I will check if your Mac has a discrete graphics card and if giving more system memory (RAM) to Windows will help to boost graphics performance.

13. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

ID number 272726483

14. Dmitry@Parallels

Thank you. You have integrated Intel Iris Pro Graphics 6200 with 1536 MB of video RAM. I suggest you try Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac Trial (download link) applying the following changes:
    1. Install Parallels Desktop 14 for Mac.
    2. Launch Windows 10 virtual machine. Update Parallels Tools.
    3. Shutdown Windows 10. Go to its configuration > Hardware > Graphics > set memory to 'Auto'.
    4. In Hardware > CPU & Memory make sure that you have 2 virtual processors selected and 8GB of RAM.
    5. Close the configuration window, start Windows 10 and check both Magix Photostory Software and Vasco da Gama 11.
    Please let me know your feedback.

15. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

Do I have to uninstall version 13 first?

16. Dmitry@Parallels

No need, simply run the installation of version 14.

17. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

Why do I get a message this will slow your performance in parallels or Mac, when I set 8GB of Ram?
    It works for Magix but not for Vasco da Gama.

18. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

How Can I go back to previous version of Parallels ?

19. Dmitry@Parallels

I installed Vasco Da Gama 9 HDPro, it works fine in my Windows 10. What exactly does not work in your case?

20. HellenB

HellenB Junior Member

I have version 11 of Vasco da Gama HD Pro and it load not maps. I contact Motion Studios about it and they told me I need OpenGL 3.3.
    I don't want to go back to an older version of Vasco da Gama, but I want to go back to Parallels 13.