Slow Parallels 14

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NewNickName, Aug 29, 2018.

1. NewNickName

NewNickName Guest

Hi.
    I have a new install of Parallels 14 Pro, on a brand new map (32Gb RAM etc.) When running MS access, it is slow ... I mean to draw a rectangle on a blank form takes about two minutes watching a blue circle whilst the app is not responding.
    My OS is Windows 10. The same database and OS on my old MacBook Pro 2010 words without a hitch (it is actually the same VM copied across). I was not expecting to see a stable reasonably simple basic app crucified by a significant hardware upgrade!!!

What should I try to sort this? I have looked through no end of settings and cannot see an issue.

Thanks.

BTW. Is there any support to users who cannot access Twitter (I honestly thought Twitter had gone out of business, I had not heard of anybody using twitter for years ... who knew!)

2. NewNickName

NewNickName Guest

Parallels is still slow ... excruciatingly so ... I have copied my VM so that I could delete the snapshots (not happy with that ... they have a purpose ... ) so that I could make the VM drive larger ... and that did not make it any faster.

Anybody know how I can get support without twitter (!!!!)

Thanks.

3. AshtonM1

AshtonM1 Junior Member

NewNickName likes this.
  4. NewNickName

NewNickName Guest

Thank you.
    That is very helpful, I had not seen that thread. :)
    I actually managed to 'chat' with a tech a few days ago was less than impressed!!!
    The other thread says that I am not alone.
    Combining the price, lack of support, annual frailty (it must be August again) and a website that does not respect my privacy (this is a forum not the CIA in Langley ... I do not need to 'verify my browser' o_O... I do want to use private browsing:rolleyes:), I have decided to not renew my subscription ... which runs out today or tomorrow at any rate. Parallels is simply not cost effective even when it functions. Time to cut the final Windows cord.:)
    Thanks again though for the link.

5. AshtonM1

AshtonM1 Junior Member

I understand your frustration with support. The last version 13 would force my Mac to freeze when used in full screen. Support was less than helpful, and ended up waiting for v14. Full screen seems to work correctly now but now this has shown up. I'm about to throw in the towel as well. Best of luck on the mac side!

6. Alexx1

Alexx1 Bit poster

Upgraded 2009 Mac Pro 4,1 to 5,1. My Mac Pro hangs and freezes each time I run Windows 10 Pro on Parallels 14.Not the same issue with Parallels 13. I'm running High Sierra and it runs perfectly. No other issues with the OS or hardware until I run Parallels 14. Since the upgraded nothing but crashes and it's slow to run the application. To note, I'm using a Boot Camp partition. When I run it solo it's fine! But each time I run Parallels 14 using the boot camp partition it unresponsive and the darn Parallels Tools makes things worst. I've been waiting a hour for it to go away and it's stuck at 24%.

7. Alexx1

Alexx1 Bit poster

Issue was with internet. After updates Windows 10 Pro is running fine. Only major concern is that Parallels Tools was installed as 32 bit.

8. Alexx1

Alexx1 Bit poster

SMH who am I kidding! it's still slow to the point I won't be using Parallels anymore. OMG it's too slow to do anything worth while. It still won't show the start menu app icons correctly! Some are missing or black. LOL! Epic fail!

9. beta_wayne

beta_wayne Bit poster

I feel your pain. Windows on Parallels Desktop 14 is totally useless to me. I cannot do any real work. It takes forever to launch, and once it does, the response time is terrible. Unless I see some improvements, I will not be renewing my subscription. In the meantime, I am using VMWare Fusion to get my work done.

10. PhillipJ2

PhillipJ2 Bit poster

Found a solution for my problem with Win10 being VERY slow on Parallels 14 Pro.

I called support yesterday after trying everything here and in other threads to no avail. The tech told me that there have been issues with recent windows updates corrupting things within the VM. I was somewhat skeptical of this, but went through the motions with him. It took a while, and I finally went home, but when I got back in this morning, my machine had rebooted and everything appears to be working the way it should. VM Startup is much faster, and so is app launching.

Here's what I did:
    1: Open an elevated/Administrator command prompt window within the Win10 VM.

2: Execute the following command: sfc /scannow (this will run the system resource checker, which will verify the install files...it takes a bit. Mine came back clean).

3: Execute the following command: chkdsk /r (this runs the scandisk feature, which checks for corruptions in the drive. It said that it had to run with the disk locked, so it prompted me to schedule it to run at the next VM startup. I said yes, then restarting the VM, and it started the scan. Mine hung at 14% for more than 1/2 hour, which is when I went home. When I got back this AM, it had restarted the whole system, so make sure not to have anything else open. )

4: Shutdown the vm, and then in the Mac Disk Utility app, run first aid on your "Macintosh HD" or whatever your main drive is where the VM is stored. (Mine came back clean here as well).

Hope this helps some of you.
    PJ

EDIT: System Details:
    iMac (late 2012), 16gb, 1TB fusion drive, OSX v10.13.6 (high sierra), Win 10 build 10.0.17134.345

Schnautz likes this.
  11. EugeneZ1

EugeneZ1 Bit poster

would be great for parallels support team to jump in and give us heads up.. technically i spent over $1000 on your products.. Give us heads up and instructions on how to downgrade to previous versions. Very unprofessional to charge us and not let us know what to do

12. BaitsT

BaitsT Bit poster

13. BaitsT

BaitsT Bit poster

I went through the exact disappointing very slow windows. It could not even load Revit after many many hours. Finally I did exactly what you recommended and I am so thankful it worked and it's faster. Thank you for your post it saved my day

14. Hi BaitsT. Nice to know that the issue is resolved and thanks for sharing the steps which resolved it. Please post again for additional queries.

15. Hi BaitsT. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue by following the troubleshooting steps. The issue might be due to Windows corruption and by running sfc /scannow will repair the corrupted files and fix it. Please post again for additional queries.

16. Schnautz

Schnautz Junior Member

I can't explain it. I tried a thousand things. And this seems to have worked ... but only after a reboot of macOS.

So, I'd add
    step 0: reboot macOS
    steps 1~4: as @PhillipJ2 posts
    step 5: reboot macOS.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  17. Schnautz

Schnautz Junior Member

Maybe worth adding, I also did a manual 'optimize' (defrag) in Windows 10.

My best guess is that the Repair Disk and reboot of macOS was the key. Improvements weren't noticed until after the host rebooted. Rebooting the guest (several times) didn't help one iota, even after steps 1~4.

Maria@Parallels likes this.