Cannot print to Canon MX922 after upgrade to ver 14

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by michael123, Sep 23, 2018.

1. michael123

michael123 Bit poster

After upgrading to ver 14, I can no longer print to my Canon MX922. The output tray now defaults to the upper tray which is empty (and inaccessible), all the paper is in the lower tray. When I downgrade back to ver 13, it returns to its old behavior of printing correctly. (Parallels desktop uses the HP Color LaserJet 2800 Series PS driver. That hasn't changed).

I can find no where to force the printer to look in the lower tray. From the MAC OS, I can adjust printer properties to specify "feed from lower tray" But, presumably, since the Parallels VM sees this as a HP LaserJet, it offers tray 1 through tray 9, but neither specifying Tray 1 or Tray 2 keeps the printer from looking only at the upper tray.

Any ideas?

2. Hi michael123. Please start the virtual machine, select Actions (from the Mac menu bar) -> Reinstall Parallels Tools and make sure that the tools are installed successfully. Then restart the virtual machine and check if it works.

3. CarolaH

CarolaH Bit poster

hello,

as my problem is nearly identical to the one of thread opener michael123 i post my "history" here:

i was running windows 7 ultimate with all current patches in parallels on mac os el capitan with all current patches. to prepare for upgrading to mac os high sierra i upgraded from parallels 11 - which was working very fine including printing via mac sync - to 14, and after that printing was not working properly anymore:
    there was a mess of which tray to use without having changed any printer setting from p11. the win7 vm was configured to share from the mac printers, and syncing the default printer from mac was checked also. with a hp laser printer having two trays plus manual tray the output tray now defaulted to the upper tray; with a hp laser printer having one tray plus manual tray the output tray now defaulted to the manual tray which is empty normally, so i would have to put paper in there all the time...

i reinstalled parallels tools. no change, same behaviour.

* one hp laser printer configured in mac os is conntected via network "installed" either via bonjour or ip configuration.

* one hp laser printer configured in mac os is connected via usb when needed.

the weird tray choosing behaviour described above applies to both the network printer as well as the usb printer.

meanwhile i have upgraded to high sierra, no change, same behaviour.

i again reinstalled parallels tools. but still noch change, still same beaviour :/

to get the printers working "properly" my first workaround was that i configured the printers in win7 to print from fix defined trays (like e.g. "print from tray 3", "print from tray 2"), but this only worked for a windows session; after rebooting i had to configure the workarounds again - which was very annoying.

due to working reasons within our company's network the win7-vm is conncted like this:
    * in the office: bridged network -> thunderbolt ethernet
    * at home via vpn: bridged network -> vtap0

the printing behaviour applies in the office as well as at home - means: with a networking printer as well as with a usb printer. so the network adapters don't seem to be the problem.

meanwhile i switched off printing via mac sync in the vm's config and intalled native windows drivers. this works, but at home where i often have to print from mac os as well as windows it's very annoying that i always have to reconnect the usb printer either to mac or win...

i alread exchanged a lot of emails with the parallels support, but the tips "reinstall parallels tools", "change to standard network adapter", "contact the printer manufacturers" unfortunatley were not quite helpful:
    * reinstalling parallels tools didn't help.
    * changing to standard network adapter was/is not an option as i need the exact network setup as described abpve due to work reassons.
    * contacting the printer manufacturers was/is also not an option as the whole thing worked perfectly well with p11, and the manufacturers would probably say "it's a bug in parallels".

the tip of using native windows drivers is just a workaround as well because of the reason described above.

the email support's offer to check my system via a remote support session is nice, but at the moment i dont have time for that because of lots of work...

and still nobody can say something about the reason of that annoying printing phenomenon... maybe someone here? would be very much appreciated.

the whole setup worked perfect in p11, so it should do so in p14.

how can this be fixed? is there a fix, or do i have to downgrade again?

thx a lot and kind regards,

caro

4. CarolaH

CarolaH Bit poster

hello... nobody any idea?

5. AlexanderB11

AlexanderB11 Bit poster

It worked for me just with the extra options window which has to be activated in the printers configuration of Parallels.
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-25 um 09.09.16.png
    You will now see an extra window before printing and have to change the tray manually.
    Bildschirmfoto 2019-01-25 um 09.14.50.png
    At the moment its faster than clicking OK at the printer display but I would prefer the old workaround before I updated to P14. Could you please

6. CarolS3

CarolS3 Bit poster

its my problem too

7. Please explain your issue with more details and provide us with your Parallels Desktop and MacOS version.

8. AlexanderB11

AlexanderB11 Bit poster

My problems disapeared after update to version 15. OS version is 10.14.6 and will be updated this night.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  9. Please let us know if the issue reoccurs after macOS update

10. AlexanderB11

AlexanderB11 Bit poster

No, it doesn't reoccur after update to OS 10.15. But I can't recommend an update to Catalina at the moment due to some issues like WLAN connection, booting and multi speaker output.

11. Could you please check these issues with the latest update of Parallels Desktop 15.1.0?

12. AlexanderB11

AlexanderB11 Bit poster

Its still working. Thanks.

Maria@Parallels likes this.