OpenGL 3.2+ Support

Discussion in 'Linux Virtual Machine' started by ThomasP3, Mar 12, 2016.

1. BillyM2

BillyM2 Bit poster

You are correct. I'm using Ubuntu Bionic for the OS. glxinfo is a "bash" command ;)

I spent most of the day setting up fusion 11. The application runs just fine under fusion 11, but fusion is such a cow compared to parallels. Hope there's a fix for parallels. Any hints/help would be appreciated.

2. ColinH2

ColinH2 Member

Under Ubuntu I also see 2.1. I tried glxinfo in Windows 10 (this was a bit hard to do, but I figured it out), and got an unable to open display error.
    I tried a lot of things under Fedora, but whatever I did I still saw 2.1. Under Windows 10 I see 3.3, so Parallels has improved, but maybe not enough to solve the issue for Linux.

3. BillyM2

BillyM2 Bit poster

Thanks for trying. The shocking thing is that 2.1 is like 15 years old. 3.2 is like 10 years old. openGL is now onto 4.x releases. additionally, if you follow the threads on this topic here you will see that they were saying several years ago that "we're working on it" and "expect it soon". Most windows apps use the direct x video stuff so its not an issue. OpenGL is important on unix/linux/bsd type machines as well as many CAD packages.

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

OpenGL compatibility profile is not supported on macOS, meaning we are currently unable to create this functionality. Regardless, Parallels Engineering team does its best to improve OpenGL support in Windows virtual machines. As of now, only OpenGL core profile (version 3.2) is supported in Windows virtual machines.
    Parallels Desktop 14 currently provides OpenGL support for several applications including 1.) SketchUp 2017/2018 2.) CTVox 3.) DIALux 8 4.) OriginLab.
    Parallels Engineering team keeps working on extending the list of supported applications that required OpenGL 3.3 or higher. Unfortunately, we do not have an ETA for this. Please post your suggestion/vote here, mentioning the program(s) you use which need OpenGL support.

5. BillyM2

BillyM2 Bit poster

"OpenGL compatibility profile is not supported on macOS," --> that's pure BS or deliberate mis-direction. Since posting here, I've installed VMWare Fusion 11 on the exact same mac book pro, running the exact same version of macOS and my application works just fine. The ONLY difference is that I'm running Ubuntu under VMWare Fusion 11 rather than Parallels 14. I even imported the same parallels ubuntu VM into fusion.

As for voting, I'm voting with my feet and dollars. If parallels wants me back, implement the features that I need and when fusion lets me down I'll give you another try. That's how this works. Show stopper features are just that: show stoppers. Stated another way, I am not able to simply shut down my business waiting for you to maybe implement a feature that is critical for my success.

Damian6 likes this.
  6. Damian6

Damian6 Bit poster

This is disappointing. I've been trying to figure this out for a couple of hours now, but it looks like I will need to try VMWare Fusion.