100% Disk Usage - Parallels 11 for Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by NewZeroRiot, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Shathish@Parallels

Shathish@Parallels Pro

2. DavidC33

DavidC33 Bit poster

I'm seeing this same issue on Parallels 13, with the latest macOS and Windows 10 version. So far the only way I've been able to resolve it is being disabled the aforementioned Sharing-> Access Windows folders from Mac functionality. Whilst that's an acceptable workaround, it does leave me without some of the functionality that I was relying on, and paying for. It'd be ideal to see the issue resolved once and for all from the Parallels team.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2018
    CaseyC likes this.
  3. CaseyC

CaseyC Member

I have this same problem. I have the latest Windows and the latest Mac OS and the latest Parallels. Looking in Task Manager, various programs are at the top of the disk usage column at various times.

4. CaseyC

CaseyC Member

I just finished setting up a new VM, and the same thing happens. So it's not any settings I've messed up.

5. RogerH6

RogerH6 Hunter

I'd suspect it is Spotlight.
    Try using the Mac preferences. Select 'Spotlight', 'Privacy', and add an item to it's exclude list. Select the Windows drive share.
    This causes issues with lot of other types of drive, so can quite believe it is causing an issue here....

6. CarlD2

CarlD2 Bit poster

I tried both things suggested here and I still have 100% disk usage. I excluded Bootcamp partition from Spotlight searches, and I turned off sharing both ways -- from Mac to Windows and Windows to Mac. I'm just about ready to ask for my money back. I'm using Parallels 14 and the latest OSs from both Mac and Windows. -- Carl

7. AJ@Parallels

AJ@Parallels

Hello CarlD2, Kindly follow the instructions from this link and check if it helps.

8. CarlD2

CarlD2 Bit poster

Aj, you misread my message. My problem is 100% DISK USAGE, not CPU usage, which is OK.

9. As mentioned in the other thread, please check for the disk usage in the native bootcamp partition. Also, refer this Microsoft article and check if it helps. As per the article, it is a known issue in Windows 10 OS and they have provided the troubleshooting steps to fix it.

10. CarlD2

CarlD2 Bit poster

As mentioned in other thread: No problem with disk usage when I boot into Bootcamp, only when I'm using the Bootcamp VM under Parallels in Mac OS (Mojave).

11. Thorsten-Vienna

Thorsten-Vienna Bit poster

Exact same problem here with a completely fresh install of Windows 10 Pro & Office 2016. This block me from installing update 1803 (April 2018 Update). I am trying to install manual updates and do a manual reinstall of Windows.

12. Thorsten-Vienna

Thorsten-Vienna Bit poster

ps: This only happens on my MacMini(s) the MacBooks with similar setup are working completely fine (performance, updates etc.).