Deactivate Rollback Mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by -ChristianS-, Nov 25, 2018.

1. -ChristianS-

-ChristianS- Junior Member

Hi,

I recently bought a Parallels Desktop 14 license. Prior to that, I installed the test version and installed a Windows 10 VM, which I would like to keep. However, with the test version I activated the automatic rollback mode which asks every time when I shut down the VM if I want to revert or not. After activating my home edition license, the machine still is in automatic rollback mode and I am not able to deactivate it. I don't want to setup everything gain because this already took some time. So, how can I deactivate the rollback mode in my Parallels "home edition"?

Regards,
    Christian

2. KebhaK@Parallels

KebhaK@Parallels Hunter

Hi @-ChristianS- , To disable the Rollback mode option please follow the below steps:
    1) Please make sure your virtual machine is shut down.
    2) Go to your virtual machine's Configuration menu.
    3) Then select "Options" tab and "Startup and Shutdown option".
    4) Click on the drop down list options of "Rollback mode" and disable it.

3. -ChristianS-

-ChristianS- Junior Member

Hi KebahK,

thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, it does not answer my question. As mentioned in my previous post, I use the Parallels Desktop 14 "home / student edition". In this edition, the rollback option is not available in the "Options" tab. For some reason, Parallels decided that this should be a "Pro" feature only now (which is a really bad decision by the way). But I use a VM for which the automatic rollback was activated before switching to the home edition. Although I use the home edition now, it remains active and the option to deactivate "Rollback mode" has disappeared due to the fact that I use the home edition. So, how can I deactivate it within the home edition?

4. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Under Manage Snapshots check and let us know how many snapshots are there.

5. MartinW21

MartinW21 Bit poster

Is there now a solution to this problem? I have the same problem.

And to the answers above (which actually missed the problem): By switching from Pro to Home, the rollback option is no longer displayed. I don't have any snapshots either, because the rollback does not show a classic snapshot. But I get asked at every shutdown whether I want to accept or discard changes.

How can I deactivate the option with the home version?!

6. Hello, did you check this KB article?
    Please let s know if it's not that case.

7. MartinW21

MartinW21 Bit poster

I do not have the option "Start in Rollback Mode". Again: I had the Pro version and the option "Always Start in Rollback Mode" activated. Now I switched to the Home Version. Therefore all options for the rollback mode are hidden - but the Windows VM still starts always in rollback mode.

Now understandable? ;-)

8. JosephB12

JosephB12 Bit poster

I have the same issue. No option to turn rollback mode off. This prevents me from doing snapshots. Please send steps to fix this error. Thanks!

Heigen likes this.
  9. Hello, did you check the Kb article above?

10. JosephB12

JosephB12 Bit poster

Yes, I started the vm with doing this:

1. Open Parallels Desktop. Do not launch your virtual machine.
    2. From the virtual machine's Actions menu, choose Start.
    But when I shutdown the VM I still get a message saying," "VM Name" was started in rollback mode. Apply the changes to its hard disk? ". This indicates that it was still started in rollback mode.

The other options in the kb article for setting changes for the vm do not exist. See image.

Note I am running Parallels Desktop Pro Edition
    Version 15.1.4 (47270)

Thanks for your time and help with this issue.

Attached Files:

11. Hello, did you try to turn off the rollback mode?
    Could you share with us a screenshot of the running VM?

12. Heigen

Heigen Bit poster

I have the same problem under Parallels Desktop 17 for Mac pro to do Windows 11 Snapshot failed. No way to have a correct operation to turn off rollback mode which caused snapshot could not be executed.

13. Heigen

Heigen Bit poster

The problem was reported one year and nine months ago, however, while I was using Parallels Desktop no matter V14, V15 or V16, I did snapshot under running Windows 7, 8 or 10 once in every month without any problem. However after having migrate macOS from V11 (old Macbook Air Intel) to V12 (new Macbook Air M1) and new installation of Windows 11 two months ago, snapshot could not be executed due to VM always runs under rollback mode. I tried all ways in configuration option but still failed; i.e., one problem was happened one year and nine months ago but still exists in new version without anyone included such old bug in regression test before releasing it as a commercial product. Could anyone tell me what was happened those days ? Thanks !

14. Heigen

Heigen Bit poster

Ha, find the solution to turn-off rollback mode has been switched to "security" instead of "option" of VM configuration setting. In which, the rollback mode could be set to be one of the three ("prohibit"(禁止), "cancel modification"(放棄更改) or "Ask to do"(問我怎麼做)). When you choose "prohibit", then, to do snapshot is allowed.