Win10 won't enter safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ZiescheT, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ZiescheT

ZiescheT Bit poster

Went to Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Advanced->Restart Now->(switches to "Choose and Option" screen)->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options->Startup Settings->Restart (held down F8) -but it just boots normally! No prompt for safe mode. Nothing.

I tried Actions->Reset.
    I tried Shift-F8.
    I tried FUNCTION-F8.
    I tried FUNCTION-Shift-F8.

It's a Windows 10.0 10240 VM with Parallels Desktop 13 (Version 13.3.0 (43321)) on a MacBookPro.

Please help.

2. ZiescheT

ZiescheT Bit poster

I finally got it. Use msconfig. Note that nothing will look different. There will be nothing that tells you that you are in fact in safe mode. To know you are in safe mode, check that you have no network connection, and that many services are not running, like "bits" for example.

3. Hi ZiescheT. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please post again for any additional queries.

4. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Why does fucking parallels not just accept pressing F8 during boot, like every other virtualization product?

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

You have to do a mouse click inside the Windows boot screen and start tapping F8 but you have to do it fast. You can also refer to this article for more steps.

6. Bachsau

Bachsau Junior Member

Would be nice if it were that easy. So far I had no success on my Windows XP VM, even when clicking inside the Window as soon as the virtual BIOS shows up and hammering the F8 key like nuts. At least, I also had to resort to `msconfig`, but that needs a working system beforehand, so it's not always an option.

7. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Have you tried the steps suggested in the article?

8. KevinB4

KevinB4 Bit poster

For me personally, which I came to this thread searching for a solution, I can't get F8 or F4 or anything to be recognized. The article assumes we have a working GUI for Windows. I need to get to recovery mode while booting and can do it in VMWare just fine. Just not using Parallels on the Mac, I assume, because there is no input recognized correctly while booting.

9. natel2

natel2 Bit poster

This error can be caused by several different reasons. Device drivers are probably the most common error but this can have diverse causes like an issue with the Windows files being broken or some issue with external hardware or the device itself.
    Here are some things that we can try when you're unable to boot into safe mode:
    1. Remove any recently added hardware.
    2. Restart your device and long press the Power Button to force shutdown the device when logo comes out, then you can enter Recovery Environment.
    3. When you enter Windows RE(Recovery Environment), please select Troubleshoot.
    4. Select Advanced options.
    5. Select Startup Settings.
    6. Click Restart.
    7. You can select F4 Enable Safe Mode to enter Safe Mode.
    8. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you're using.
    Moreover, you can visit this support article below for more information about Windows 10 recovery options. This will let you select an action if you can't boot your PC normally.