Win10 won't enter safe mode

Discussion in 'Windows Guest OS Discussion' started by ZiescheT, Mar 30, 2018.

1. ZiescheT

ZiescheT Bit Poster

Went to Settings->Update & Security->Recovery->Advanced->Restart Now->(switches to "Choose and Option" screen)->Troubleshoot->Advanced Options->Startup Settings->Restart (held down F8) -but it just boots normally! No prompt for safe mode. Nothing.

I tried Actions->Reset.
    I tried Shift-F8.
    I tried FUNCTION-F8.
    I tried FUNCTION-Shift-F8.

It's a Windows 10.0 10240 VM with Parallels Desktop 13 (Version 13.3.0 (43321)) on a MacBookPro.

Please help.

2. ZiescheT

ZiescheT Bit Poster

I finally got it. Use msconfig. Note that nothing will look different. There will be nothing that tells you that you are in fact in safe mode. To know you are in safe mode, check that you have no network connection, and that many services are not running, like "bits" for example.

3. Sathiya@Parallels

Sathiya@Parallels Staff Member

Hi ZiescheT. Nice to know that you were able to sort out the issue. Please post again for any additional queries.

4. Bachsau

Bachsau Bit Poster

Why does fucking parallels not just accept pressing F8 during boot, like every other virtualization product?

5. Ajith@Parallels

Ajith@Parallels Parallels Support

You have to do a mouse click inside the Windows boot screen and start tapping F8 but you have to do it fast. You can also refer to this article for more steps.

6. Bachsau

Bachsau Bit Poster

Would be nice if it were that easy. So far I had no success on my Windows XP VM, even when clicking inside the Window as soon as the virtual BIOS shows up and hammering the F8 key like nuts. At least, I also had to resort to `msconfig`, but that needs a working system beforehand, so it's not always an option.

7. Ajith@Parallels

Ajith@Parallels Parallels Support

Have you tried the steps suggested in the article?