Parallels 14, Sierra and Itunes movies: Wont Play

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by MartyL4, Oct 2, 2018.

1. MartyL4

MartyL4 Bit poster

Hi

Forgive me ifs this has been covered but i am new to this :)
    I have a Parallels 14 running Sierra. I have logged in to my iTunes account and can see and play my music library.
    I can't get an TV or Movies to work and i suspect it is because the VM does not have a sufficient graphics capability...i say this as because no matter what..if is set it to 2gb of Graphics ram ...it reverts to 256mb
    How can i force it so run sufficiently fast graphics to sup0port 1080p hd Movies?
    Regards
    Marty

2. Arun@Parallels

Arun@Parallels Parallels Support

Hi @MartyL4 . please let s know the edition of Parallels Desktop you are using. Is it a Home/Pro/Business.

3. applestar

applestar Bit poster

+1

I even bought the Pro version now but it does not help at all ...

4. Arun@Parallels

Hi @applestar , please let us know how much graphics memory you have allocated to your virtual machine.

5. RamyG

RamyG Bit poster

I have the same issue, Parallel (Lite or Home v14 trail) only issue maximum of 256MB to my graphics memory. resulting in flickering in Safari tabs and almost all applications i use, VS Code,MongoDB Compass and Atom.

Also my discreet graphics on my 2014 MacBook Pro is 2GB, It says in Parallel 512MB recommended, i choose 512MB and start VM, it only allocates 256MB. Same if I choose 1GB of video memory.

Can someone please explain how do I allocate more than 256MB of video memory?

6. RamyG

RamyG Bit poster

An update for everyone who is looking for a solution, I was not able to solve this with Parallel as it is a software "Parallel" issue and not anything else. Other VM Hosts softwares do not have this problem with much less video memory..

7. Arun@Parallels

Hi @RamyG , please let us know the version of Parallels Desktop you are using.

8. PascalG2

PascalG2 Bit poster

I am Running Parallels 14 and macOS Sierra 10.12.6 with iTunes 12.8.2.3 in a VIrtual Machine on a MacBook Pro running macOS High Sierra.
    iTunes wont play any Songs nor Movies in Parallels - what do I need to do?

9. Hi, did you get any error message when iTunes doesn'' play songs?

10. OlsenH

OlsenH Bit poster

Hi, did you get any error message when iTunes doesn'' play songs? - Simple question!

11. JeremyG2

JeremyG2 Bit poster

I have the same issue. I was trying to use iTunes when running my virtual machine with Sierra, but could never get it to play. At that point I just wanted to figure it out, so I installed Sierra on multiple VM's on multiple computers. running both parallels 13 &14. I had 2 GB of video memory allocated, 8 GB ram and 4 processors. It would just always black screen instead of play the movie. I could not even make a purchase with iTunes. As soon as I would click purchase I would get the beach ball and iTunes would need to be force quit. After trying for almost 3 days between two computers and multiple installs I never was able to get it to work.

12. BradH4

BradH4 Bit poster

Look I read the thread, required information for while updating iTunes (An unknown error appears "error 9") I would try to configure it as a various step which I know, the result is zero, in that course, I found a website, I visit https://itunessupport.org/blog/fix-itunes-error-9/ here eventually problem resolved.

13. applestar

applestar Bit poster

Still does not work (!)

Parallels 15. Host: Mojave 10.14.6. Guest: Sierra 10.12.16. iTunes on Guest: 12.8.2.3. (manually updated)

Black Screen with iTunes

14. Hi, could you provide us with the step-by-step instructions in order to reproduce the issue on our side and then please collect the tech report right after the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.

15. Veikko

Veikko Bit poster

Hi there,
    I am Running Parallels 15 Desktop on MAC with this configuration:
    Host: Sierra 10.12.6
    Guest: Sierra 10.12.6
    iTunes on Guest: 12.8.2.3

Hardware:
    iMac 21.5 late 2013, i5 2.9, 16GB, Nvidiq GeForce 750m 1024MB

Problem
    I am trying to use iTunes in my virtual machine, but can never get it to play.
    It always black screen instead of play the movie. I can't make a purchase with iTunes. As soon as I click purchase / rent I get the beach ball and iTunes needs to be force quit.

And i installed Windows 10 Pro 1903 in a virtual machine...same result, but there iTunes just quit when you try to make a purchase.

==> Here comes the reportID: 322838448
    No fun at all guys.
    Thx and good luck
    Veikko

16. Did you get any specific error message? Or just blank screen?

17. Veikko

Veikko Bit poster

Hi Maria,
    nope unfortunately only a black screen, no message. Movies just don't play. No rentals or purchases can be made.
    Not helping, I know, but that's how it is.

Sorry
    Veikko

18. RobertT2

RobertT2 Bit poster

Hi Maria. I'm having the same problem, being unable to get any picture or sound when trying to play an iTunes movie using a Sierra VM on Parallels 15. There are two interesting things I notice that might be relevant. First, no matter what I configure the graphics RAM for in the VM, "About this Mac" reports it as 256MB. Second, the virtual display seems to be identifying itself as a projector. I have a menu bar icon that, when clicked gives me "Connected Projector: Display" along with relevant options like a projector calibrator.

19. SiegbertK

SiegbertK Bit poster

Hi,

I have the same problem.

Parallels 15 Desctop for Mac Home Edtion, Host: Catalina 10.15.1, Guest: Sierra 10.12.6, iTunes 12.8.2.3

Black screen when I try to watch my purchased iTunes movies.

Paralles support checked a couple of settings and then referred me to Apple.

Apple Support has referred me back to Paralles. According to Apple, the problem lies with Paralles.

Can someone help me?

Best regards, Siegbert

Geekdan likes this.
  20. SiegbertK

SiegbertK Bit poster

Almost two months have passed and no solution is in sight, right?

There is the "Parralles Team" here. Don't any of them leave the postings? It's all very annoying.