macOS Catalina work?

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by MDumke, Jun 3, 2019.

1. MDumke

MDumke Bit poster

Does Parallels Desktop work on the new macOS Catalina ?

2. Best Answer
    As many other software vendors, Parallels Engineering team is testing Parallels Desktop for Mac and other products against macOS 10.15 Catalina Developer Beta to ensure full support of macOS Catalina 10.15 as soon as it is released.

See KB Known issues with macOS 10.15 Catalina and Parallels Desktop for Mac and subscribe to stay tuned for more updates on official support for macOS Catalina.

If you experience an issue with Parallels Desktop for Mac and macOS 10.15 Catalina that is not listed in our KB, please share your feedback with us by posting in this thread. Please include technical data along with issue description, it will greatly help us in further troubleshooting.

3. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

Nope. So far what I've found is when you launch the app directly the Starting dialog appears for a period and then the app quits without any dialog or notice. I haven't looked at logs yet to see what's happening.

4. Don Sullivan

Don Sullivan Bit poster

First glance at the logs indicates the network daemon isn't working in the new OS build

Jun 3 17:39:32 Dons-iMac-27 prl_client_app[4793] <Error>: objc[4793]: Class OpenPanel is implemented in both /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Frameworks/libPrlGui.3.dylib (0x103394750) and /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app (0x102a1e700). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    Jun 3 17:39:32 Dons-iMac-27 prl_client_app[4793] <Error>: objc[4793]: Class MethodInfo is implemented in both /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Frameworks/libPrlGui.3.dylib (0x1033946d8) and /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app (0x102a1e778). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    Jun 3 17:39:32 Dons-iMac-27 prl_client_app[4793] <Error>: objc[4793]: Class DeallocHook is implemented in both /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/Frameworks/libPrlGui.3.dylib (0x103394700) and /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app (0x102a1e7a0). One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.
    Jun 3 17:39:32 Dons-iMac-27 AGMService[1816] <Warning>: ProcessPath : /Applications/Parallels Desktop.app/Contents/MacOS/prl_client_app
    Jun 3 17:39:32 Dons-iMac-27 prl_naptd[4863] <Notice>: Starting Parallels Network Daemon (proxy_mode)
    Jun 3 17:39:33 Dons-iMac-27 prl_naptd[4922] <Notice>: Starting Parallels Network Daemon
    Jun 3 17:39:33 Dons-iMac-27 prl_naptd[4922] <Error>: Failed to start: error -1; Parallels Network Daemon will restart in one minute or after receiving of some signal.
    Jun 3 17:39:33 Dons-iMac-27 prl_naptd[4922] <Notice>: Reloading configuration...
    Jun 3 17:39:33 Dons-iMac-27 prl_naptd[4922] <Notice>: vnic0: DHCP/NAT for 10.211.55.1-10.211.55.254 netmask 255.255.255.0
    Jun 3 17:39:33 Dons-iMac-27 prl_naptd[4922] <Notice>: vnic1: DHCP for 10.37.129.1-10.37.129.254 netmask 255.255.255.0

5. Best Answer
    As many other software vendors, Parallels Engineering team is testing Parallels Desktop for Mac and other products against macOS 10.15 Catalina Developer Beta to ensure full support of macOS Catalina 10.15 as soon as it is released.

See KB Known issues with macOS 10.15 Catalina and Parallels Desktop for Mac and subscribe to stay tuned for more updates on official support for macOS Catalina.

If you experience an issue with Parallels Desktop for Mac and macOS 10.15 Catalina that is not listed in our KB, please share your feedback with us by posting in this thread. Please include technical data along with issue description, it will greatly help us in further troubleshooting.

6. JohnW39

JohnW39 Bit poster

So far Parallels launches, Windows also gets to it's desktop but upon doing so reports a \\Mac\home\desktop permissions issue. Have reinstalled Parallels Tools but no change. Have taken the Desktop out of the shared folders setup and all appears to be going OK.

7. CharlesJ3

CharlesJ3 Bit poster

One of my reasons for getting Parallels was the ability to run 32 bit apps. I.E. I am a Ham Radio Operator and most of our software is written for Windows and most is 32 bit. This is my concern. I don't want to buy a Windows box just to play with my radios, but what point will there be if, vicariously say, the new Mac OS won't support 32 bit applications? Even via parallels.

So waiting with bated, virtual. breath.

8. r3volution11

r3volution11 Junior Member

@CharlesJ3 I wouldn't be concerned about that at this point.

Everyone else, thank you for reporting your progress in getting Parallels up and running in Catalina. I can't wait to update but Parallels is holding me back.

9. MarkM7

MarkM7 Member

So I've installed Catalina into a Parallels Virtual Machine and can't get it to work. I can't get the Network to work at all. Also, the windows won't move (though still work)... I'm running a MacBook 15". Hope Parallels will be out with some kind of fix soon..

10. RobC7

RobC7 Bit poster

Same, Parallels Tools hangs at 100% and network interfaces do not connect either through bridging or shared.
    Also, I can't move windows or icons in the Dock, it's as if they are stuck.

Setting Network to Wi-Fi seems to get me a connection, so will try that.

ScottN57 likes this.
  11. PavelF

PavelF Junior Member

Hi, I have issues with booting from Windows To Go drive with MacOS Catalina. I sent message to support via twitter, but they replied that MacOS Catalina isn't officially supported. Should I just wait till official support before submitting any issues?

12. RyanK7

RyanK7 Bit poster

The windows drag issue seems to be because the trackpad is no longer recognized as a trackpad. I got networking to work by disabling and re-enabling (shared) network.

JJC1138 likes this.
  13. r3volution11

Some of you have dock icon and windows movability issues. How is it when you aren't in coherence mode?

14. JJC1138

JJC1138 Bit poster

I had the same success with toggling the network off and on again, and I got dragging windows working by setting the Mouse option in the hardware settings to 'Optimize for games'. That way dragging works, but you have to use Ctrl+Alt to manually free the pointer when you want to use the mouse outside the VM.

So it's all a bit wobbly, but it looks like it can just about be made to work if you're willing to put up with my hassles.

15. r3volution11

Parallels always needs time to see what's new and build in support for new MacOS versions. Issues/Differences arise with every new OS release. It seems like networking is one issue that occurs almost every time.

For anyone stumbling onto here before upgrading to 10.15 Catalina: Don't update until Parallels says it'll work. Otherwise, you're in for a lot of fun *sarcasm*.

beta_mikecwest likes this.
  16. RyanK7

RyanK7 Bit poster

Actually, that's not in coherence mode... it's in windowed mode.

17. If the issue reoccurs, please generate the problem report right after that and reply us back with the report ID.

18. Hey, did you reinstall Parallels Tools? If yes and it didn't help please reproduce the issue, generate the problem report and reply us back with the report ID (also detailed ifno about the issue and step-by-step instructions for the issue reproducing will help us to reproduce this issue on our test environments)

19. You can report it here, please reproduce issue-> generate problem report and provide us with report ID and detailed issue description.

20. PavelF

PavelF Junior Member

Report ID: 314699674. I can't access any USB device inside Parallels VM (Windows 10).

beta_mikecwest likes this.
  21. oztrev

oztrev Member

I installed Catalina in a Sierra VM. The final reboot stuck at 9 minutes to go for two hours, after which I used Parallels STOP to kill it. Restarted the VM and all was fine except: (1) no network; (2) could not move/resize windows. The network needed Parallels Tools to be reinstalled (their installation sticks at 100%, so I force quit them, and restarted the VM) and the ethernet to be disconnected and then re-enabled. Setting the mouse and keyboard to "optimise for games" got the windows moving again. Yes, it's actually usable now and, yes, 32 bit apps do not run anymore which is what I was testing :(