Energy Saver Issue

Discussion in 'Parallels Toolbox for Windows' started by MirkoR, Jul 30, 2019.

1. MirkoR

MirkoR Bit poster

Since update on the Parallels toolbox for windows and its energy saver 7/2019 this drives me crazy. Whenever I disconnect Mac from power I get the icon on the right bottom that energy saver is on and 2 min later the windows goes to sleep (even if I use it). Now I have to log in again. The only way to get out of it is disconnecting the Mac, then go to "energy saver" in the toolbox on windows and launch and the icon comes and says it's off.
    How can I set it to be off be default. This is simply crazy!!!

2. Alex Patsay

Alex Patsay Parallels Team

You can disable automatic detection and activation of Energy Saver mode by going into the tool's preferences and clicking "Launch when on battery" (see attached screenshots).
    Also please submit a technical data report and share a report ID here, if you don't mind. Taking VM to sleep while you are working is not an expected behavior and we would like to investigate further. Thank you for your help!
    Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 3.38.30 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-05 at 3.38.37 PM.png

3. MirkoR

MirkoR Bit poster

Thanks => I did unclick "launch when on battery" - took me a while to find that preference.
    I mostly work in PhraseExpander when in windows and even though I'm working on it - the system turned on the screensaver after 2 min on battery.
    How do I get the " technical data report and share a report ID" in the windows? (I'm a Mac guy and not windows guy).

4. Alex Patsay

Submitting a report from Parallels Toolbox is easy. You click a gear icon in the upper right corner of Toolbox window, and then select Submit Technical Data (see attached screenshots):
    Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 8.23.24 PM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 8.23.57 PM.png

Once the data is submitted, you'll see a dialog with report ID. Just copy it and post here:
    Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 8.25.59 PM.png

5. MirkoR

MirkoR Bit poster

Thank you, that was easy.
    Report sent.
    ID 319321322

6. JeremyS8

JeremyS8 Bit poster

Mine is disabled but still switches to the Parallels power saving mode on my laptop on resume from sleep. Highly annoying, and cutting into my work having to switch manually ad-hoc. Opened chat via messenger (no ticket options), nothing heard yet. May need to uninstall until that feature is removed/fixed.

7. Alex Patsay

See if this KB article helps to resolve this issue before we roll out the fix:
    https://kb.parallels.com/124757

8. JeremyS8

JeremyS8 Bit poster

It doesn't resolve the issue, because i have to switch power plans every time the laptop resumes from sleep. The KB is the issue itself.

9. PatrickM3

PatrickM3 Junior Member

I have a similar issue, but worse. I CANNOT disable this thing. I have it switched off on my parallels toolbox in my Windows 10 VM, yet whenever parallels desktop is running with that VM, the damn thing enables itself whenever I disconnect power. It automatically keeps switching my power settings, seems there is no way to stop it except for completely uninstalling the desktop tools. Please assist.

10. JeremyS8

JeremyS8 Bit poster

Uninstalled mine, got a refund, couldn't take it anymore.
    Let me know when it's fixed and i might come back.

11. DeanC6

DeanC6 Bit poster

Ive just installed parallels toolbox on my new Windows 10 laptop (suface laptop 3). However, even if I configure energy saver to not switch itself on it always does, and its driving me nuts!! Ive even deleted the parallels toolbox battery saver power plan thinking that would fix it, but no! it gets re-created whenever it feels like it. Clearly the parallels team dont belive in testing this stuff, which is a bit scary. I feel very nervous about software infecting my operating system this way and overwriting my settings. Its getting uninstalled right now while I browse for an alternative product.

12. JeremyS8

JeremyS8 Bit poster

In my chat with Parallels support, they refused to acknowledge that this was an issue and nobody else has been reporting it. They wanted to me remove and reinstall a 3rd time. That's when i had to demand the refund. Too bad it's still not fixed.

13. Alex Patsay

Thank you for your reports. I apologize for this inconvenience, I have filed the bugs for the team, so they can investigate and address these issues. Unfortunately, changing something in the system so deep that it starts having some positive effect on the energy consumption had some unintended consequences, but we will try to fix it and have an update as soon as possible.

14. FrederikP

FrederikP Bit poster

I have been suffering with a similar problem on the mac version of toolbox: the energy saver switches off Spotlight when on battery, but does not switch it back on when on the power supply. for the longest time I thought it was OSX related, but I just found out that it is this program/app that disables (and does not re-enable) spotlight.

15. ParallelsU381

ParallelsU381 Bit poster

I've spent 10+ hours over several months trying to figure out why Spotlight keeps getting turned off, and finally traced it back to Energy Saver on Parallels Toolbox. I've disabled it and hope that fixes the problem. Frustrating!!

16. Alex Patsay

We will add an option to Energy saver tool to disable deactivation of Spotlight, so it should resolve the issue and still bring some benefits in enabling the tool when needed.

17. We've received reply from @ParallelsU381:
    That is fine, but this "feature" should *not* be turned on by default, as
    it breaks Spotlight. Also, indexing should be turned back on when
    reconnecting to a power source, rather than just shutting it off
    permanently without warning the user.

18. Alex Patsay

I agree wholeheartedly with this. And actually the application does attempt to turn it on. And for most users it works, but unfortunately in some cases macOS behaves unpredictably and doesn't enable Spotlight back.

19. RodneyX

RodneyX Bit poster

Hi

what else does Energy Saver switch off please? I just removed it because it was messing up Spotlight, as some users are reporting. Can you please let me know what else is disabled so that I can return my brand new Mac to normal working order?

I have managed to turn on Spotlight again and deleted Toolbox

20. ByoungjunC

ByoungjunC Bit poster

I happened to reproduce the symptom and re-indexed to resolve the issue. Has this bug not been fixed? And if the symptom is not fixed, there should be a guide text or warning text near the option to inform the user that Spotlight indexing may be damaged before checking the option.