High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. LudwigS

LudwigS Bit poster

Also have this problem. None of the suggestions help. Please update.

2. ViacheslavK

ViacheslavK Junior Member

Same issue here. PD 15 with toolbox from v13

3. EdK5

EdK5 Bit poster

Sorry for the delay, Maria@Parallels, I have submitted my report number: 326622487. It seems that the bsdtar process doesn't run all the time, but on some periodic (weekly?) cycle.

4. Hi, please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here.
    Thanks in advance.

5. Does the bsdtar process run only when Toolbox is working?

6. EdK5

EdK5 Bit poster

Yes, that's correct. I thought the problem had fixed itself as I had started using Toolbox again without problems. But then the process came back.

I should add that I haven't noticed the same problem on my MacBook Pro where I have a separate full license for Toolbox (and Parallels is not installed). I can't absolutely guarantee that it hasn't happened, but I haven't encountered it.

7. One more question, when you use Parallels Toolbox without Parallels Desktop, you don't see the bsdtar process? And when you start Parallels Desktop without Parallels Toolbox do you see this strange process?

8. EdK5

EdK5 Bit poster

Yes, I think that is correct, but it would be better to say that I haven't noticed it on my MacBook which only has Toolbox installed. It only appears to be associated with Toolbox, however. It does not appear if Toolbox is not running (but Parallels Desktop is). However, it does not always appear if Toolbox is running, only periodically.

Hope this makes sense.

9. OK, thanks a lot for clarification.
    Once the issue reoccurs, could you please collect two reports: from Parallels Toolbox and From Parallels Desktop too. Please post both reports' IDs here.
    Looking forward to your reply.

10. Garden City Nick

Garden City Nick Bit poster

For your records I am adding myself to this thread as I had the same issue this morning, also on P15. Parallels was not running or toolbox but had 3 instances of the BSDTAR process each using 100% cpu, my fan was going crazy. Staying tuned for updates. I'm also on Catalina 10.15.1 (19B88) with the latest and greatest Parallels.

11. TraceyM2

TraceyM2 Bit poster

Maria, I have the same problem and just submitted two reports as you requested. They are P327102464 and P327102548. This is running on an iMac with Catalina 10.55.1 and Parallels Pro 15.1.1 with Toolbox 2.6.1. Right now I have the bsdtar process running 8 processes at the same time.

12. jonnybradley

jonnybradley Bit poster

Same issue here

13. amacg6

amacg6 Junior Member

Same problem here. CPU at 100% and fan running fast for three hours until I stopped the tree bsdtar processes.

MichaelT32 likes this.
  14. MichaelT32

MichaelT32 Bit poster

Same problem here. CPU at 100% and fan running fast for three hours until I stopped the tree bsdtar processes.

15. LudwigS

LudwigS Bit poster

Bsdtar is doing same on my system. Parallels is not open at all but these services are running. See screenshots. Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.50.11.png Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 10.48.38.png

16. RichardC25

RichardC25 Bit poster

Hello Parallels Team,

I am having the same problem. But, I have some additional information. I hope it is related.

Related Case numbers
    Toolbox #327215283
    Parallels #327216159

Version Info
    Catalina 10.15.1, Parallels 15.1.1, and Toolbox 2.6.1

Notes / Procedures taken to fix issue (I suspect only temporarily)
    • Slow down of system periodically. Unfortunately, I've only thought about running Activity Monitor Twice:
      • First time, I came to this forum, shutdown parallels & toolbox, rebooted the system, updated Parallels and Toolbox. Macbook Pro (13-inch, Early 2015, 8GB, 512GB SSD) seemed to be fine until last week. Slow down of system last week was not enough for me to justify an investigation.
      • Second occurrence, Tonight, the system became REAL SLOW after trying to start Excel for Mac.
      • The Apps being actively used (don't remember background / minimized):
        • Chrome (with 4 tabs)
        • Evernote
      • Steps taken to diagnose:
        • Started activity monitor and found 5-6 'bsdtar' processes executing with high cpu utilizations.
        • Performed Google Search to discover this thread.
        • Found where 'Maria@Parallels' was advising everyone to perform 'collect the tech report'
          • I collected Toolbox Tech Report
          • I collected Parallels Tech Report
        • While investigating bsdtar processes, I saw a "_windowserver" process with high utilization. So, I killed it since parallels was not running and suspected it to be the culprit.
        • bsdtar processes disappeared from Activity Monitor for a while - seemed all was better.
        • returned to my other tasks, noticed another degradation in performance.
        • opened Activity Monitor again and found 9-10 bsdtar processes.
          • quit Parallels Toolbox & Parallels
          • killed "_windowserver" process
          • rebooted system
        • As of now, system seems to be fine. The '_windowserver' process is running and system performance seems to be fine.
    I hope this helps,
    Richard

17. Hi Guys,
    Please try to remove this log file "/Users/---/Library/Logs/ParallelsToolbox/toolbox_report (3).xml.tar.gz" and reboot the Mac. Observe Activity Monitor after reboot and check if it helps.

18. DeanJ

DeanJ Bit poster

Having the same issue. I installed updated to both Parallels and Catalina - it went away for awhile, but is back again. Urgh.
    Maria, happy to submit a report - just not sure how to do that? Do you have instructions?

Attached Files:

19. EdK5

EdK5 Bit poster

Hi @maria, I've just submitted two further reports: 327280020 (Toolbox) and 327280363 (Desktop). Sorry to take a while to do this but I forgot that I had stopped Toolbox from running! As soon as I started it again, the bsdtar processes appeared again. As LudwigS has shown, so I also enclose a screen shot from Activity Monitor showing that the processes and Toolbox are connected.

Screen Shot 2019-11-25 at 22.26.32.png

20. EdK5

EdK5 Bit poster

Ah, just a moment, though.

I've just checked on my MacBook Pro (where I haven't noticed the bsdtar problem), and that is running Toolbox 3.7.0 (build 2768). This machine does not run Parallels Desktop and so has a separately licensed copy of Toolbox. I also note that Toolbox has just updated and the message was "Improved compatibility with macOS Catalina".

However, my iMac which has had the problem is running the copy of Toolbox that comes with Parallels Desktop 15 Pro (version 15.1.1 build 47117). This version of Toolbox is only 2.6.1 (build 1620). In other words, it seems to be a whole version behind. However, when I check for updates, it tells me that I have "the latest version of Parallels Toolbox".

Is this the problem, that the version of Toolbox is out-of-date???