High cpu usage due to bsdtar process

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by CarlB7, Oct 9, 2019.

1. ArthurK2

ArthurK2 Bit poster

Glad I came cross this forum. Would have never associated this issue with Parallel, let alone the Toolkit feature. Especially since I've had Parallel installed for over 4 years and never had this issue. In any case, I went into Toolkit preferences and unchecked "open toolkit at startup", performed a restart, and everything is running smooth now. No "bsdtar" listed. Got my quiet MAC book pro back lol. Thanks fam.

2. MikeL7

MikeL7 Bit poster

You can stop Toolbox from loading on startup, temporary fix only. I agree that the software folks at Parallels should have sorted this out with a patch ages ago!!!!

3. PaulB1

PaulB1 Member

Still happening here. CPU Temp dropped 40ยบ after quitting the 3 "bsdtar" processes.

4. EvrenK

EvrenK Bit poster

Same problem here. CPU at 100% and fan running fast for three hours until I stopped the five bsdtar processes.

5. FernandoR2

FernandoR2 Bit poster

They have done it on purpose. They do not give solution to the affected versions, such as the last perpetual version that I have. All for us to move on to the annual subscription, which I do not intend to do. For the two or three things I use I do not plan to pay more and there are alternatives. They should correct perpetual version 1.5.2 or at least give a license forever of the corrected version, which we already paid too much money in Parallels Desktop updates. For my part, if they do not correct it, I will move on to another program and will not update anything else about Parallels.

6. GunterD

GunterD Bit poster

I have the same issue. I have the latest Parallels updates installed. Parallels Toolbox is not usually switched on, as I only use it on occasions. It is not set to auto-start. Deleting the suggested file in the Library does nothing. I still have to kill the bsdtar processes manually. Once killed, Parallels continues to work as normal and I can run V-machines as I please. When I look at this thread I am surprised that there hasn't been a solution identified by Parallels, because this has been going on for some time now.

7. Hi, could you please collect the tech report right after the bsdtar process appeared and share id here.

8. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

I've sent in a report everytime I reboot. This has been a problem for 3 months now, nothing?

9. PaulR20

PaulR20 Bit poster

If you are still having the battery drain issue, trash the toolbox entirely, if you do not use it. Reboot the laptop. It worked on mine

10. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

I'm well aware of the work-around. I would like to know when it is going to be fixed.

11. RandalK

RandalK Bit poster

I just about didn't post when I saw the default account and privacy settings.

I just (1/18/20) installed Parallels Toolbox 3.8.0 on my Catalina iMac. So far so good. If Toolbox breaks again it is gone.

Parallels Toolbox 3.8.0 for Mac. Jan 16, 2020.
    Parallels Toolbox 3.7.0 for Mac. Nov 20, 2019.
    "Improved compatibility with macOS 10.15 Catalina"

12. JackV1

JackV1 Bit poster

Thanks everyone for the investigations you've done so far. Anyone know why Parallels Toolbox doesn't offer to upgrade itself? The one I have on my machine is showing "Version 2.0.4 (1219)" and when I check for updates, it tells me I am running the latest version. (I have the latest version of Parallels, according to Check for Updates there - "Version 15.1.2 (47123)".)

I take it I should just download the latest Toolbox...

13. JackV1

JackV1 Bit poster

Following up... I did a shutdown of the Toolbox and _then_ the bdstar process started up at high CPU usage (and doesn't seem to be interested in stopping). Out of curiosity, I started Toolbox and closed it again, and two more bdstar processed fired up in the monitor. All running a similar high CPU usage. This is the Version 2.0.4 (1219) version of the toolbox. It appears that this old version of Parallels Toolbox is the culprit in combination with Catalina.

I've now installed the latest version of Toolbox from the Parallels website. So far, so good... Strange. Haven't rebooted yet, though.

14. DavidM69

DavidM69 Bit poster

Like others, I had the same issue with bdstar causing high CPU usage and the fan to run continuously on my 2014 MacBook with 16gb RAM. This started right after I updated to Catalina and Parallels 15. I tried to update Parallels Toolbox from within the Parallels Toolbox application, but it reported that I had the latest update (which I do not since the installed version is from 2018). I have not ever used Parallels Toolbox so I deleted it and this fixed the issue.

15. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

Computer just did an update and restarted and now there are 7 bsdtar processes running!!! Computer is getting really hot.

Attached Files:

16. Hi, you're running 2.6 version of Toolbox on macOS Catalina.
    And Parallels Toolbox and macOS Catalina compatibility issue has been improved at Parallels Toolbox 3.7.0 version.
    Could you please update your Toolbox and check the issue.

17. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

I checked and it told me my Parallels toolbox was up to date?

18. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

see?

Attached Files:

19. JohnG31

JohnG31 Bit poster

It tells me my parallels toolbox subscription is valid until 6/2020 but when I try to install the latest version of Toolbox it tells me my key is invalid for this version. What gives?? How can my subscription be current and yet invalid?

20. RikS

RikS Bit poster

Yep, same problem: fan running continually, battery drain over the moon, and 6 or 8 buster processes taking up 99% each of the CPU. AppZapped Parallels Toolbox, restarted the MacBook Pro, and that seems to have solved the issue. Parallels wants to install the Toolbox again, but I refused.