VM version of Mojave running Quicken 2007

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by DHinschberger, Nov 10, 2019.

1. DHinschberger

DHinschberger Bit poster

Following the guidance posted by Glenn Fleishman (https://tidbits.com/2019/09/18/moving-to-catalina-keep-your-32-bit-mac-apps-running-with-parallels/) in created a VM and installed Mojave. After installing Parallels Toolbox, I was able to copy the Quicken 2007 app from my current Mojave system applications folder into the Mojave guest version applications folder. I was unable to find my host version of the Quicken preferences file that Glenn mentions at the link he wrote about (or anywhere when looking for searching).
    I went ahead and started the Quicken app in the Mojave guest, it loaded and asked for the location of the data file. I navigated to it via the Shared Folders, but Quicken won't open it.
    I copied the data file into the Documents folder in the guest, same thing.
    Need some suggestions.

2. jimmbo

jimmbo Bit poster

When I have an issue that doesn't google and multiple inquiries (e.g. Tidbits) yield nothing, it nearly always turns out I've done something dumb.
    Please don't take offense, we've all been there. If I were you, I'd redo the whole process from scratch, examining workflow much more carefully, especially the obvious parts.

3. JosephK11

JosephK11 Bit poster

I am having exactly the same problem as DHinschberger, always receiving an "unable to load file" message. It is not a workflow problem, I believe, as I am an experienced Mac user and followed the instructions to the letter. Any help would be appreciated!

4. DHinschberger

DHinschberger Bit poster

Joseph, did you ever figure this out? I'm back trying to get this working...

5. Could you please provide us with more detailed issue description: Parallels Desktop version, macOS Host and guest version, Quicken version and screenshot of the issue.
    Thanks in advance.

6. JosephK11

JosephK11 Bit poster

DHinschberger, through trial and error I was able to get this working. I compressed the Quicken data file into a zip file (using control-click---compress) then transferred it to the Parallels virtual Mac OS Mojave desktop and uncompressed it. The Quicken 2007 app was then able to open it without any problem. Don't know why this worked, but I'm not complaining.

DonD4 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  7. DonD4

DonD4 Bit poster

I was having the same problem, Quicken 2007 would not open my Quicken file on my Virtual Mojave machine. So happy I found this "fix" it worked for me too. Tried Quicken 2017 and was unimpressed. Quicken 2007 is now working on my Virtual Mojave machine! Thanks josephK11.

8. DonD4

DonD4 Bit poster

However, the automatic backup file writing in Quicken 2007 seems to be broken in my Virtual Mojave machine. I get this message "Quicken was not able to automatically backup your file." A bit bummed about that - though I can't say I ever really used my automatic backups. A search over on Quicken seems to imply that feature is broken on the VM.

9. DanS21

DanS21 Bit poster

I am seeing the same problem.
    What is happening is that the Quicken data file is actually a Mac "container". Parallels doesn't seem to recognize it as a container and thus show it as a normal Mac "folder". That makes Quicken unable to select it as a data file. This happens both through the shared folders access or if you drag it onto the virtual desktop.
    Using: Parallels Desktop 16.1.2 - MacOS 10.15.7 - Guest OS MacOS 10.14.6 - Quicken 2007 16.2.4

Attached Files:

10. Hey, could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

11. DonD4

DonD4 Bit poster

I have submitted a tech report, the number is 360853560. Hoping you can solve the problem. Thanks for your help.

12. DonD4

DonD4 Bit poster

By the way. I am using Parallels Desktop 16.1.1 on Mac OS 10.14.6 - Guest Mac OS is 10.14.6 and Quicken 2007 16.2.4

13. Thank you for your reply.
    Could you check the same issue with the latest Parallels Desktop update 16.1.3 please?
    Looking forward to your reply.

14. DonD4

DonD4 Bit poster

Still the same problem. I have submitted another tech report, the number is 361343877.
    I am now using Parallels Desktop 16.1.3 on Mac OS 10.14.6 - Guest Mac OS is 10.14.6 and Quicken 2007 16.2.4

15. GlennF

GlennF Bit poster

Hello! I was trying to find a solution for this myself, as I am trying finally to migrate from Mojave to Big Sur on my 2017 iMac, and find myself quoted. Well! The ZIP solution is one I'd forgotten about. For some reason, Quicken files seem to lose both their association with the app and their package status. If you ZIP a folder level above the one that contains the Quicken Data File, you can then copy that to the Mojave virtual machine, decompress it, and navigate into the folder to find the Data File, and then double click that to open or open it within Quicken 2007.