DirectX11 Metal 3.0 (Catalina) vs Metal 2.0 (Mojave) Performance

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by DashtonP, Aug 14, 2019.

1. DashtonP

DashtonP Member

Hi there!
    I was wondering if the performance improvements for DirectX11 are already noticeable in the Catalina beta, if I wanted to try that? I assume these performance improvements are due to native Swizzling support in Metal 3.0?

2. Hi, yes, Parallels Desktop 15 is the first iteration of the cross-platform software to support DirectX 11 using Apple's hardware accelerated Metal graphics API.
    The switch to Metal should bring a noticeable performance boost - Parallels claims 3D graphics rendering is up to 15 percent faster.
    Also please note that DirectX 11 requires at least macOS Mojave 10.14 but works best on macOS 10.15 Catalina.

3. Dmitry@Parallels

Dmitry@Parallels Parallels Team

Hi @DashtonP, yes with macOS Catalina Beta you will get noticeable performance improvements due to faster shader compilation time in Apple Metal 3.

4. DashtonP

DashtonP Member

Perfect, thanks! I am upgrading to Catalina now :)

5. StenF

StenF Bit poster

Is Parallels 15 able to take advantage of multiple GPUs available in the host system for workload distribution? If I have more than one Metal enabled GPUs available, will I see any performance gains?

6. DannyD3

DannyD3 Bit poster

I'm seeing a decrease in performance running the latest Mojave version after upgraded from Parallels 14 to 15.

7. Se-youngS

Se-youngS Junior Member

I also found performance decrease indeed. Frame rate of fsx was 24 fps with PD14 but now I got 14 fps in 15. I think the graphic driver needs to be optimized.

8. ylluminate

ylluminate Member

Has this improved for anyone with Mojave yet? Catalina is proving to be a nightmare for me with even 10.15.3 and I'm moving back down to Mojave. I've lost nearly a week's worth of work time due to all of the nightmares I've had with it over the past month. I do like the additional graphics performance, but I have so many other problems with hangs, various glitches, and general stability issues causing so many headaches that I just have to write off Catalina as trash from Apple this round.

9. Hi, could you provide us with the additional info about the issue please?