Reinstall Parallels

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by StuartD1, Feb 11, 2020.

1. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

Hoping someone has seen this before...

My Macbook died, previously here I asked about freeing up the parallels license from the dead computer, this was achieved and I now have a replacement computer.

On the new machine I have performed a backup time machine, to find parallels inoperable. No problem, I drag it to the trash and set about reinstalling from the original DMG file. I double click on the DMG, the wheels grind and open up a dialog box with the "Install" app, I double click on this icon, acknowledge the file was downloaded from the internet and click "open".

The next dialog box gives me the message:
    "Parallels desktop can be installed from a disc image only, Please open the parallels desktop DMG file and try again"

Which is where I started... a never ending loop....

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get passed this....?

Thanks,

Stuart.

2. Hi, please clarify, did you download the installation file and after double clicking on it you got "Parallels desktop can be installed from a disc image only, Please open the parallels desktop DMG file and try again". Right?

3. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

Well.. not "download"...

The dmg file and code information has been sitting on a storage drive since the initial download, so I have returned to that location and attempted to install from there. After double clicking on this a dialog box presents with an icon of the install app, double clicking this results in the failure message...

thanks..

4. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

No way forward then....?

5. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

We would like to know the Parallels Desktop version you are trying to install and macOS X you are using now.

6. StuartD1

StuartD1 Junior Member

PD ver 9 and osx 10.14.6....

Is that it...? they don't talk to one another...?

7. grnnyn

grnnyn Bit poster

Click Start > Settings > Apps > Apps and Features (or right-click on Start button > Control Panel > Programs and Features) and remove Parallels Tools if present. Proceed with reinstallation. Restart Windows.

8. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Parallels Desktop 9 is not compatible with Mojave. You have to buy an upgrade to Parallels Desktop 15 and use.

9. grnnyn

grnnyn Bit poster

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 26, 2020