MacOS Catalina issues

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by Mark34, Jul 3, 2019.

1. Mark34

Mark34 Bit poster

I was able to get Catalina working in a VM but I am having a few issues:
    1. Network connection has to be enabled each time to access the internet
    2. Cannot move anything around on the desktop, windows won't budge, icons won't move.
    3. Can run some programs but the one I wanted to test, ArtStudio Pro, always crashes, have tried several different configuration settings to memory and graphics. Note that ArtStudio Pro did not work when I had 10.14 as the VM before I updated to the beta.
    4. Memory allocation for Graphics is stuck at 256mb in the Mac VM even though I have set it higher in the configuration.
    5. iMovie is not in the App Store (yet) so I was able to copy it over from my Mac but won't run as the graphic settings are not sufficient.

I would be interested in other people's experiences with Catalina and any solutions.
    Public Beta 3 will be released tomorrow so will see if it makes any difference.

2. Mark34

Mark34 Bit poster

The problem with the mouse has been slightly fixed by getting it to connect to a usb mouse but the cursor disappears at random times, though it can move windows around.
    iMovie is now back in the App Store for Catalina.

3. Mark34

Mark34 Bit poster

Mouse problem fixed by setting Mouse configuration to 'optimise for games', as stated in the knowledge base.

4. MarkusW2

MarkusW2 Bit poster

I confirm that I have the same problem with the network connection. Each time, I have to disable and re-enable it. I hope this will be fixed shortly

5. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

I created a Catalina beta (19A512f) VM using PDM 14.1.3 (45485) on a 2017 MacBook Pro 13" (16GB, 3.5GHz i7 CPU, 1 TB SSD, TouchBar, 4 Thunderbolt ports). I used settings of 2 CPU, 4GB RAM, 64GB HDD, Shared Home Folder. I have the same issue with the network not connecting, which is solved by toggling the setting in Parallels. What I don't know at this point is what is an Apple issue and what may be an inconsistency between the beta and Parallels. Thus, I'm hesitant to open any feedback reports.

For example, on my MacBook Pro, when I hold down the Option key when selecting from the Apple menu, the ellipsis entries are toggled (e., Shutdown, Restart). In the Catalina beta, this behavior is different, as it requires multiple mouse presses (the option works, but doesn't toggle without multiple key presses/mouse clicks). I left the "Auto-detect for games" setting in PDM's hardware, and have never needed to change that for other OS VMs. Is this an Apple bug/feature or a PDM issue.

I'd like to participate in the Apple beta public feedback but since I'm not running on a dedicated Mac, I'm not sure this was a wise choice.

6. Lee4

Lee4 Member

"as stated in the knowledge base."

Do you have a link to this?

7. homepup

homepup Bit poster

8. homepup

homepup Bit poster

9. Filip10

Filip10 Member

I have a Mac Pro 5,1 that doesn't run Catalina native. I am running Mojave. Can I run Catalina in a Parallels desktop VM? I bought Parallels 15 Pro.

10. DashtonP

DashtonP Member

Yes :)

Filip10 likes this.
  11. RobR2

RobR2 Bit poster

Have installed today latest Catalina Public Beta in Parallels Desktop 15 VM. Installation went smoothly.

However the Touch ID and Apple Wallet are missing from system preferences and from spotlight. It's as if Catalina is not recognising that I have a touch-bar model.

I have a 2018 13"MBP with Touch Bar and 4 thunderbolt 3 ports.

Wallet and Touch ID work fine on Mojave with normal HD start in normal environment

12. 肥肥仓

肥肥仓 Bit poster

Hi, I installed Catalina in Parallels Desktop 15, but the GraphicsCard configuration didn't work normally, seems that I only got 256MB vram (not 2GB as I set it). How is yours? I just wants to know is it rare or common. :)
    Hope to reply:)

13. 肥肥仓

肥肥仓 Bit poster

Sorry, I haven't finish the whole passage to say that. Looks like we've got the same problem on graphics.

14. Hi, could you please collect the tech report and post the report's ID here?

15. ChristianB25

ChristianB25 Bit poster

I just bought Parallels on the AppStore specifically so I could install macOS Mojave and iMovie in order to convert my old *.mov files to *.mp4 since these are incompatible with later versions of macOS and iMovie and there is not out of the box way to convert them in these. Unfortunately, I keep getting the "video card does not meet system requirements" when I try to install the compatible version of iMovie from the AppStore in Mojave... I have tried maxing out the Graphics settings on the VM to no effect... :(. Pls help!

16. Frederic Puhan

Frederic Puhan Member

Two suggestions, @ChristianB25. Neither of them Parallels Desktop Mac related: If you simply want playback, look at downloading the *free* VLC (https://www.videolan.org/vlc/). It's been able to play any video format I've thrown at it. The other is the Convert Video application bundled in Parallels Toolbox.

There are also online services that can convert these files for you for free. If you have a lot of files to convert, however, you might want to look into getting one of the commercial converter products like videoconverter from Wondershare (https://videoconverter.wondershare.net/). Note, I do not work for any of the above mentioned organizations.

17. ChristianB25

ChristianB25 Bit poster

Thanks for your tips @Frederic Puhan. I was able to play them using VLC, but I really wanted to update my iMovie projects to future-proof them. I ended up dusting off my old 2008 MacBook Pro w/ Catalina and manually converted all of my old incompatible *.mov files by opening them one by one in QuickTime 7 and saving them to an external HD. For some unknown reason, the resulting Apple ProRes encoded files were better quality than bulk converting them in Finder w/ the same setting.

18. ChristianB25

ChristianB25 Bit poster

Correction: I used macOS El Capitan