Windows cannot connect to internet

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by 4everJang, Jan 25, 2020.

1. 4everJang

4everJang Bit poster

I moved to a brand new MacBook Pro and did a fresh install of Parallels Desktop 15, had a Windows 10 created and entered the new product key I purchased from the MS store. Using shared network as recommended, but Windows cannot access the internet, no matter what I try. This should work as I have not done anything to change the original installation and have not done any installs on Windows yet.
    I did NOT install Parallels Toolbox for Mac as I see no use for it on the Mac side. I did install them on Windows, but that did not solve the issue.

It should be possible to do a fresh install of Windows 10 on a fresh install of Parallels 15 on a fresh MacBook Pro. Where is the missing info ?

2. AndrewH16

AndrewH16 Bit poster

I have also just installed 15 on a new Macbook Pro with a new Windows 10 product key / new install and have no internet ... BUT I do have internet access for the first 30 seconds or so on Windows 10 after activation. If I don't activate my copy of Windows 10, it seems I have no trouble with the internet. More perplexing still, after spending over an hour with tech support (they tried resetting my DNS cache, renew / release etc. repeatedly and seemed at a loss to try anything else).

1. Unactivated, new install of Windows 10 works fine.
    2. After activation with new key, Internet worked fine for several days. I am running a Windows 10 Education key
    3. This week something broke (on the windows/parallels side).
    4. Internet on Windows side breaks roughly 30 seconds to 1 minute after a start of the VM.
    5. Mac internet shortly follows on an app by app basis.
    6. I don't have to reboot the VM, I can just close parallels and restart it to regain internet.
    7. isolating Windows solves the problem of losing internet on the mac side.
    8. Reinstalling parallels tools doesn't work.
    9. Temporary (maybe 5 minutes) fix found in resetting network settings on the Windows side
    10. Throughout Network Utility is able to ping google.com successfully on the mac side.
    11. Windows ping via cmd was able to hit google.com successfully for slightly longer than it was able to load the same web page in Edge, but not after losing network connectivity (which isn't too surprising).
    12. Internet appears to last longer if I leave Onedrive running vs. closing it.

3. PhiloC

PhiloC Bit poster

I have same issue. I have lost all internet connection twice on the windows side. Repair does not work in Windows 10. The Mac side works fine. The first time, I deleted and reinstalled a new VM and had to deal for hours with all the activation issues. It worked for a couple days and now is exactly the same as before.

4. PhiloC

PhiloC Bit poster

My issue was fixed by a parallels technician and now everything works well. The technician changed the Network adapter from "Shared Network (Recommended)" to "Bridged Network: Default Adapter" to resolve it.

5. AndrewH16

AndrewH16 Bit poster

Sadly, mine did not get resolved so simply. I have been waiting on a resolution by the development team.

6. Hi, Toolboox and Parallels Tools are different. Parallels Tools is a Parallels Desktop component that helps to use your VM. Please try to install Parallels Tools.

7. Hi, this issue is under investigation and we've involved Parallels Engineering team in this case.
    Also our engineers have already requested additional info from you and provided our Engineering team with it.
    Once we received any updates or possible workaround we will contact you here (or by email)

8. Hi, please let us know if the issue reoccurs. And also if this happened please reinstall Parallels Tools first and check the issue.

9. TanyaH

TanyaH Bit poster

I have the same issue going on. About every 30 minutes I lose internet connection and I have to go to Network Status to fix it. My mac does not lose connection.
    I've tried reinstalling Parallel tools and that didn't help. I tried changing my Network Source to Bridge (which I know nothing about) but Bridge is greyed out so, it's on Shared Network (Recommended).
    Very frustrating since trying to work from home.

10. Hi, please share with us your Parallels Desktop and macOS versions?
    Did you reinstall Parallels Tools with out any issues?

11. TanyaH

TanyaH Bit poster

I'm using Parallels desktop 15.1.3. It was fine until I upgraded Parallels little over a week ago. I reinstalled Parallels Tools with no issues. My network source is Shared Network. On my mac side, I'm using Wi-Fi as my internet connection as I'm working from home and don't have access to connect to ethernet. I tried switching to Source Wi-Fi in the Configuration, however, when I do that I'm unable to connect to my work network which I'm using VPN for.

12. 3ddy

3ddy Bit poster

I have had the same problem with Parallels 15 for quite a while. I'm able to work around the issue by jumping into the Parallels setting for my VM and toggling the network connection from Shared Network (Recommended) to Host-Only. When it breaks again, toggle it back. This has worked for me 100% of the time while I wait for Parallels to fix it (I assume it's a bug).

13. NickR6

NickR6 Bit poster

I hit this bug yesterday after a OSX update. I tracked it down to the shared network virtual DHCP server in Parallels not responding to Windows 10 asking for an address. I solved it by configuring IPV4 in Windows manually, so the shared networking is working, just not the DHCP element.
    HTH

DoniK likes this.
  14. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

@NickR6, was it the 10.15.4 supplemental update?

15. NickR6

NickR6 Bit poster

@DdoniK Bingo, that's the update that caused it

DoniK likes this.
  16. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

@NickR6 Ah, that explains it! Now that you mention it, that's when my issues started too. But this is a new laptop so I didn't immediately correlate the timing. Been too busy to troubleshoot -- restarting the VM once or twice temp fixes it for me -- but next time I'll try your static IP tip. Thanks.
    FWIW, I'm using bridged network, not shared, so PD Win10 net issues aren't limited to shared network.

17. JamieR3

JamieR3 Bit poster

I'm having the same issue and the only thing that is working is if I change to Default Adapter, but then I don't get access to my company's VPN. I have re-installed Parallels Tools. I'm current on Parallels and MacOS 10.5.4. This just started happening today. As of Saturday everything was fine.

18. AThakur1

AThakur1 Bit poster

Try changing to any different Network Adapter under Tools > Devices > Network> Bridged Network >WiFi
    This happened to me after Windows 10 update not Parallels. (possibly for anyone if Auto Updates is on Windows)
    I am on Windows 10 Education, Parallels 14.1.3 and macOS Catalina 10.15.4, MBPro (15-inch, 2018)
    Changing to WiFi worked for me.

19. Sace

Sace Bit poster

I met the same problem, my macOS version 10.15.4, while my PD version 15.1.4.
    I tried the methods of changing Network Sources, but it did not work for me.
    When I open my vm, the internet can be accessed for the first 30 seconds, and then, I can not use it.

20. Ajith1

Ajith1 Parallels Support

Let us know the Windows version you are using. If it is Windows 10, is it upgraded or directly installed?