VM breaks internet for both host and guest

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by jdslab, Feb 27, 2020.

1. jdslab

jdslab Bit poster

When I start my Windows 10 VM and try to access the internet, the internet stops working on both the host and guest system. After I shut down the Windows 10 VM and quit Parallels Desktop, the internet resumes working on the host system. Not sure what's the issue, last time I used the VM it was working fine.
    Host OS: macOS 10.15.3 Catalina
    Guest OS: Windows 10 Version 1909
    Network Settings are set as default: Shared Network, Intel Gigabit CT

utku1 likes this.
  2. Please make sure Parallels Desktop has appropriate permissions under Mac System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy > Accessibility, Full Disk Access, Files & Folders.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. jdslab

jdslab Bit poster

I checked, Parallels Desktop has permission for accessibility and files & folders, but it doesn't show up in full disk access.
    Sometimes the internet works at first when I turn on the VM, but stops working for both host and guest OS immediately when I try to download something on the guest OS.
    By the way, the guest OS is the bootcamp partition virtualized, not sure if this has anything to do with it.

4. Hi, did you check the same behaviour with the bridged network mode?

5. jdslab

jdslab Bit poster

I tested it out, bridged network mode is also the same. (tested Standard-Adapter and WiFi)

utku1 likes this.
  6. VishnuNUK

VishnuNUK Bit poster

My post still not approved. I think this is a common issue.

7. Could you please post it once again, we will recheck the moderation queue.

8. utku1

utku1 Bit poster

I have the same issue please help me out.

9. Please provide us with a bit more info. Your Parallels Desktop, macOS versions. Did you reinstall Parallels Tools and check the issue.

10. utku1

utku1 Bit poster

I have the latest version of macOS and Parallels Desktop software. I didn't reinstall Parallels Tools but it would have been reinstalled while updating Parallels Tools. I also created a new post regarding my problem: https://forum.parallels.com/threads/windows-10-cant-have-access-to-internet.349506/#post-864918

Thanks.

11. jdslab

jdslab Bit poster

Hi there. I still periodically get problems with the network. It doesn't matter whether I use bridged or shared network mode, the internet will sometimes stop working for both the host and guest OS. Most of the time, if this happens, I need to shut down the VM and completely quit Parallels Desktop, then the internet immediately works normally again.
    Guest OS: Windows 10 Version 2004
    Host OS: macOS Catalina 10.15.6
    Parallels Desktop Version: 15.1.5 (47309)
    Parallels has permission for full disk access in system preferences.
    Maybe this can be forwarded to the developers for examination?
    If needed, I can provide more information.

12. Hello, could you please collect the tech report data once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here?

13. PrzemyslawW2

PrzemyslawW2 Bit poster

I have the same problem after update to macOS Big Sur.

Host OS: macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)
    Parallels Desktop Version: 16.1.0 (48950)
    Parallels has permission for full disk access in system preferences.

14. Hi,
    could you please collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here?

15. PrzemyslawW2

PrzemyslawW2 Bit poster

Report ID: 354847356

16. Hi, Parallels Desktop newest build has been released recently. Please update your version and check the issue.

17. PrzemyslawW2

PrzemyslawW2 Bit poster

After an update it stops blocking host internet access but now shared network on guest doesn't work (bridged network works fine)
    Host OS: macOS Big Sur 11.0.1 (20B29)
    Parallels Desktop Version: Version 16.1.1 (49141)

18. Did you reinstall Parallels Tools?

19. lyle_berman

lyle_berman Junior Member

I have this same problem using Parallels 14. Upgraded to 16 but still the same issue remains. On Mojave.

20. Did you reinstall Parallels Tools after upgrade?