WARNING: Upgrade from PD 15 to 16 can crash your Mac like it did to my MBP

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by ReinerD1, Aug 15, 2020.

1. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

Some days ago I upgraded PD 15 on my MBP mid 2012, High Sierra (10.13.6) to 16.
    The upgrade process failed. To check the issue, I didn't have time. What I didn't realized because of business time constraints: PD didn't work at all anymore!

Some days later I realized that my encrypted folders and files were not accessible anymore: Boxcryptor failed to work. At this moment I didn't remember, that the upgrade of PD failed. And I never could imagine, that the upgrade failure of PD 16 could crash other Apps!

I contacted the support of Boxcryptor Inc. and created a lot of log-files. In the meantime I wanted to run my PD VM with Win 10. But I couldn't start Win 10. Then I remembered the failure of upgrading PD 15 to 16. Nothing worked. Restart, de-installation and re-instalation, nothing helped.

I contacted the support of Parallels via phone. A support agent in Asia took over the control of my MBP via LogMeIn. He couldn't solve the problem.

I had to de-install PD 15/16 and then undertake a full recovery process of MacOS!
    After the recovery process Boxcryptor was running again smoothly without any other measurement!
    Then I tried to install PD 16 again. FAILED! And - much more - CRASHED my MacOS again!!! Boxcryptor stopped to run.

Again: De-Installation of PD 16. Recovery of MacOs. Boxcryptor worked fine again without any other measurement. Installation (downgrade) of PD to 15 instead of 16. PD 15 is running as expected.

Back to support by Parallels Inc.: I told them my experience, that PD 16 is 'Banana-Software' ('not mature', needs to get mature at customer premises...).
    Believe me or not: The agent asked me to upgrade to PD 16 again, create log files and reports and send them to him. He wanted to excalate the issue to the engineers. FORGET IT!

2. Hi, we've found your ticket. One of our engineers will contact you soon.
    If you have any questions please let us know.

3. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

Many thanks. I'm looking forward very much to seeing the engineers solution!

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  4. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

Current status: The issue is confirmed, there's another customer/user facing the same issue.
    Very good message from support today, the issue will be solved by the development team..

5. DoniK

DoniK Hunter

@ReinerD1 Is the issue support confirmed specific to Boxcryptor?

6. MicheleA

MicheleA Bit poster

Hi
    I encountered almost the same problem. I successfully installed PD 16 and boxcryptor works normally unless I let the boxcryptor create spotlight index. When the indexing start, within a few minutes (sometime hours) my MBP 15 2019 crashes ... If I turn boxcryptor spotlight indexing off, my MBP is working normally again. Moreover, W10 goes slower than normal ...

7. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

No, not specific to Boxcryptor. The 2nd level support team confirmed, that the same issue happened to other users running their Mac under MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra).

8. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

With my MBP 13 (mid 2012, MacOS 10.13.6) PD didn't start anymore after upgrade from 15 to 16. And Boxcryptor didn't run anymore. And I assume, that the failure in mass email using MS Word & Excel had the same background: Crash of kernel functions by upgrading PD from 15 to 16.

9. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

The Development team assumes macOS misconfiguration/corruption and advised me to erase the SSD, install MacOS from scratch.
    I re-installed MacOS High Sierra several times using recovery mode. This didn't solve the issue.
    I'm told by Apple support that re-installing MacOS using recovery mode has as result a clean MacOS installation. Whats different if I erase the SSD, install MacOS (and then all Apps) and restore all data (more than 1 TByte of files and data)?

10. FabioF4

FabioF4 Bit poster

I think PD16 it broken, I upgraded successfully from 15 but now VMs crash without apparent rational reason, they just keep crashing, the support is disappointing as they waste a lot of time with template solutions that obviously don't work instead to make the issue escalade to the top experts to solve it.

Now I've lot of work blocked, I'm seriously considering to switch to another virtualization system and forget about PD.

11. DirkB5

DirkB5 Bit poster

Open the config of your VM and go to Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings -> Hypervisor -> change from Parallels to Apple and try to start your VM. It helped me on my Big Sur Beta... Good luck ;)

12. FabioF4

FabioF4 Bit poster

Thank you for your tip, but it does not help, I've already tried out any sort of settings, the PD support team finally escalated the issue to higher level, this suggest they know there are something really wrong. I'll update this thread as soon as there are news.

13. DonovanD

DonovanD Member

Thank you @DirkB5! Your suggestion worked perfectly for me -- though I had to stop the VM first in order to change the configuration to change Hypervisor from Parallels to Apple.

Much appreciated!

14. ReinerD1

ReinerD1 Bit poster

The Development team advised me some weeks ago to make a clean new installation of MacOS (in my case 10.13 / High Sierra). I did it several times, but PD 16.0.0 (first release) crashes every time totally.

Today I took the time to upgrade to PD 16.0.1 (updated version) after the new installation of MacOS 10.13. Result: Crash of PD!
    I took a copy of my system SSD, attached it via USB, started MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra) and then upgraded MacOS from 10.13 (High Sierra) to 10.14 (Mojave). After this upgrade of MacOS I upgraded PD from 15.1 to 16.0. Result: PD 16 is working fine with MacOS 10.14 (Mojave) on this external SSD.
    Next trial:
    I upgraded PD 15.1 to 16.0.1 (newest version) on my internal system SSD (life system) running 10.13 (High Sierra). Result: Crash of PD!
    I deleted PD from my internal system SSD. Then I upgraded MacOS from 10.13 (High Sierra) to 10.14 (Mojave) on my internal system SSD and installed PD 16.0.0. Result: PD is working finde on MacOS 10.14. Same after updating PD from 16.0.0 to 16.0.1 (newest version).

Conclusion: PD 16 is not ready to run on MacOS 10.13 (High Sierra). System requirement is at least MacOS 10.14 (Mojave).

Question: Why didn'tParallels tell this??? Neither the support team nor the development team???