Error PRL_ERR_KEXT_LOADING when trying to start a vm

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by HW_1, Nov 25, 2020.

1. HW_1

HW_1 Bit poster

Hello,
    i upgraded my Version from 15 to 16. After the installation i tried to start a vm and then this message appears in title and description: PRL_ERR_KEXT_LOADING.

Someone knows how to solve this problem?

2. JohnS78

JohnS78 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I also encountered this problem after upgrading to Big Sur and Parallels Desktop 16. Some of my vms can start while the others can't, with the same PRL_ERR_KEXT_LOADING error. Turned out for those which can't start, the option 'Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings -> Hypervisor' was set to 'Parallels'. After changing those to 'Apple' these vms starts just fine.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  3. Hello, it looks like a known issue that has been already escalated to the Parallels Engineering Team.
    Could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced please and post the report's ID here?

4. HW_1

HW_1 Bit poster

I found a solution to this problem.
    The kernel extension doesnt seem to be enabled. I had to reinstall the mac os big sur. After that the message poped up that that i have to enable the kernel Software and also in System Preferences > Security. Then a restart and the message was gone.

5. Thanks a lot for sharing this.
    We also update you here once we get any news from Parallels Engineering Team

6. JohnS78

JohnS78 Bit poster

Best Answer
    I also encountered this problem after upgrading to Big Sur and Parallels Desktop 16. Some of my vms can start while the others can't, with the same PRL_ERR_KEXT_LOADING error. Turned out for those which can't start, the option 'Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings -> Hypervisor' was set to 'Parallels'. After changing those to 'Apple' these vms starts just fine.

7. Thanks a lot for sharing this with us! We will let you know once we get any updates from the Engineering Team

8. RalfB7

RalfB7 Bit poster

Hi,
    a change of the Hypervisor works but is painfully slow / consumes four cores on my system.
    How can I enable the Kernel Extension (afaik supports Big Sur only "System Extensions")?
    Cheers,
    Ralf

9. RalfB7

RalfB7 Bit poster

Security & Privacy does not show a popup Message.

10. It looks like that @HW_1 reinstalled macOS Big Sur firstly and right after that he got a message about enabling the kernel software.
    PRL_ERR_KEXT_LOADING error is under investigation with the Parallels Engineering Team. Once we get any solution or workaround (except changing HV to Apple) we will let you know.

11. GeraldM2

GeraldM2 Bit poster

Hello, I have the exact same pb here. Everything was working fine since Catalina then Big Sur. Then I decided to do a clean install of Big Sur... When reinstalling my PVM I have this message now: PRL_ERR_KEXT_LOADING . I can fix it with the hint given 'Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings -> Hypervisor' set to 'Apple' but I'm not happy with that. Can you investigate quickly please? Thanks

12. Thanks a lot for your feedback.
    We will forward it to the Engineering Team.
    Thank you once again, once we get any news we will let you know.

13. beta_oliverzzz

beta_oliverzzz Bit poster

Dear Parallels-Team,

do you have any news on this? I have run into the same issue here. Not actually using the Vms that much, but it really is painfully slow. I have updated to the latest version auf PD 16 and updating Windows 10, but then what else is there to do?

Kind regards,
    thank you.

14. GeraldM2

GeraldM2 Bit poster

I'm still interested in that problem, why is it so long to have an answer?

15. Did you try the "best answer" workaround?
    This issue is still under investigation with Parallels Engineering Team

16. GeraldM2

GeraldM2 Bit poster

Hello, we're now 1 month later and still no news... Still under investigation? How long will it take? Are you serious?

17. The issue is still under investigation.
    Please do not forget to keep your Parallels Desktop updated.

18. JoeO4

JoeO4 Bit poster

How do you navigate this in Apple? I can't get my VM Parallels to work all of a sudden. Just updated my VM on Friday, stopped working Monday.

19. JoeO4

JoeO4 Bit poster

Found it... however I can't load my virtual machine to shut it down, therefore I can't make this change.

20. DouglasB4

DouglasB4 Bit poster

I too get the same message when attempting to launch a previously working loaded OS within the PD launch window. Some users have reported that this issue goes away after REINSTALLING the Big Sur MacOS release (currently 11.2.1). Has this been definitely proven to be a solution? Do I have to reinstall the OS???
    Please advise expected date for PD code release to correct this problem.
    Regarding the solution provided above (several posts were same): "Turned out for those which can't start, the option 'Hardware -> CPU & Memory -> Advanced Settings -> Hypervisor' was set to 'Parallels'. After changing those to 'Apple' these vms starts just fine.", it wasn't clear where the individual started. Is this within MS Windows or someplace within an app in the Mac? I don't see ANYTHING like this in the PD interface or the MacOS "System Preferences" application. Please advise.

21. DouglasB4

DouglasB4 Bit poster

I just found it! Its in the "gear icon" within PD Control Center next to my OS installation. Clicking on there let me find the window that looks like this:

Attached Files: