Limited Screen resolution. 1024x768 only

Discussion in 'macOS Virtual Machine' started by ParallelsU233, Nov 6, 2020.

1. ParallelsU233

ParallelsU233 Bit poster

Hi. I've been running Lion on macOS Catalina/Parallels for a while and it's been fine until the last Parallels update to 16.1.0.
    Previously I had several screen resolutions to choose from but after running the Parallels Tools update I've lost all but the 1024x768.
    I have uninstalled and reinstalled P-Tools but it hasn't fixed anything.
    Some help please - even if I have to install them manually via Terminal
    This is painful. :)
    thank you!

2. Rail Rogut

Rail Rogut Member

I see all resolutions listed in Catalina with PD 16.1.0 (48950) -- there is a known issue with it not allowing you to use non-standard resolutions... to see all the resolutions available to select from click on "Scaled" while holding down the Option modifier.

Big Sur is limited to 1024x768.

3. ParallelsU233

ParallelsU233 Bit poster

Thanks.
    I don't see any options when I Option click "scaled" (I'm assuming you are referring to "Graphics" in Parallels Config panel. I also don't see any other options in the Display system prefs in Lion.
    I'm running a MacBook Pro Retina 2012. It's getting long in the tooth. So I might go back to Parallels 15
    Emailed Tech support - they're looking into it.

4. Hello, it's a known issue and Parallels Engineering Team are currently working on the resolution.
    They are continually working on issue that are escalated from our Support Team; however do not share an ETA for fix until one is available.

jlorre likes this.
  5. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

The latest post on this thread is now 3 months old. I am still having this screen resolution issue. Is there a fix or an update with new information?

6. SteveC24

SteveC24 Bit poster

I waited for the last update to fix the macOS client install bug and now find it's limited to 1024x768 resolution.

Please put a priority on this.

7. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

https://kb.parallels.com/125039
    The above source indicates this is a bug which was to be fixed in 16.1.0. I am running 16.1.3, just ran the updater for Tools, restarted... still only have the option for 1024x768. Why?

8. SteveC24

SteveC24 Bit poster

It's not a priority for them obviously.

9. SteveC24

SteveC24 Bit poster

Unfortunately my trial period has now ended so there is no way to confirm this has been fixed without buying the software.

10. BrianC23

BrianC23 Junior Member

Frustrating. If it were open source software or a free version, these types of issues would be easier to understand... but for paid commercial software there is really no excuse. Big Sur was released 4 months ago.
    And then to put a statement in an article in their Knowledge Base that it's fixed with just a link to download an updater that doesn't fix the problem? There's not even a link to a ReadMe or something with instructions or explanation.

11. SteveC24

SteveC24 Bit poster

Indeed it is...

This issue happens for me in 10.15

12. MikeL24

MikeL24 Bit poster

I had the same issue after buying Parallels Desktop 16.1.3 (49160). I only had a 1024 x 768 option.

So, I contacted support. This is what Diviya Ramalingam (support) did.
    1. Started the virtual machine (VM)
    2. Selected "Install Parallels Tools" from the "Actions" menu (I confused this with the "Install Parallels Toolbox for Mac..." under the "Parallels Desktop" menu)
    3. Rebooted the VM, then shutdown the VM
    4. With the VM shutdown, opened the Configuration for the VM
    5. Selected the "Hardware" tab, then "Graphics" item
    5. She then set the Memory setting to 2 GB (I think this did the trick)
    6. Selected the "Mouse & Keyboard" item
    7. Changed "Mouse to "Don't optimize for games" (Not sure this made any difference)
    8. Changed "Keyboard" to "Don't optimize for games" (Not sure this made any difference)
    9. Closed the Configuration and started the VM.

Problem solved, for me at least. I can go as high as 1840 x 1380.
    Hope this helps someone.

KarenL2 and Maria@Parallels like this.
  13. Thanks a lot for sharing your resolution steps here!
    If you have any additional questions please let us know.

14. Guys if you still have the same issue could you collect the tech report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?
    We will be glad to help!

15. BennettL

BennettL Bit poster

Thanks

16. KarenL2

KarenL2 Bit poster

This finally worked for me, but it was Step 2 that hung me up. Nothing was happening when I selected 'Install Parallels Tools' from the Actions menu. Finally I noticed that if I looked in the VM Finder window, there was a mounted 'disc' for Parallels Tools and if I looked in there, there was an Install app. I double-clicked that and it installed the Parallel Tools. It rebooted, and just like that, I could drag the VM window to whatever size I wanted (like my full display size) and it auto adjusted the resolution to match. Whew. I think I stumbled on this by accident last time I installed a VM. To me there is a lot of confusion with the difference between this Parallels Tools and the Parallels Toolbox for Mac. I have the toolbox installed and I couldn't figure out why that had nothing to do with resolution (some documentation I read said to control resolution on a VM, you have to have Parallels Tools installed). I thought the Toolbox was it.

17. SteveC24

SteveC24 Bit poster

Thanks for the info Karen. Unfortunately I must purchase the software to test this and ensure it works as the trial period has expired.

18. Hi, according to the Parallels Desktop return policy you can request a refund during the 30 days after purchasing.

19. SergejV

SergejV Bit poster

Hello all!
    My stuck was in "System Preferences" --> "Security and privacy". There I saw a disapproved request from "Parallels tools update". After approving and reboot everything became fine.

20. WalterE1

WalterE1 Bit poster

I tried many solution.
    For me only works, when Parallel Tools removed in Ubuntu.
    With Parallel Tools: max 1024x768, 800x600 also in the list
    Removed: Any Resolution from 4069x2160 to 1920x1080 in the list ...
    I already tried two times, only change is with and without Parallel tools
    --> Dear Parallels Team, please fix this, without the tools I have many cool functions not any more ... but base for work is the resolution ...