Loses network after sleep (Catalina / Par 15.1.4 / Win10Pro)

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by ksignorini, Jul 1, 2020.

1. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

I'm using Parallels 15.1.4 with macOS Catalina 10.15.5 on a 16" MacBook Pro 2019.
    My network is set up as Bridged (Default Adapter) since I need to specify my IP address within my home network scheme. I cannot use DHCP for this setup.
    Every morning, when I wake my computer from sleep, the Windows 10 Pro VM has lost its network connection and must be restarted.
    Any ideas how to fix this?
    Thanks!

2. Hello, did you shut your VM down completely or just suspended it?
    If you shut down your VM and then start it, does the network works normally?

3. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

If I shut down completely it will reconnect after reboot. That's the only way. Otherwise, every sleep cycle of the computer, the Windows 10 VM loses its bridged network connection. Every time.

4. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

That is... shut down the VM completely to restore network connection. Suspend just suspends the broken connection and it doesn't work when un-suspended either. It takes a full VM reboot to restore the network connection.
    I'd have to test, but I don't think this happens when using the default Shared Network. Only Bridged. (But I need Bridged as I need my router to dish out s specific IP to this VM based on Mac address.)

5. ChaseE1

ChaseE1 Bit poster

Did you figure out a solution to this? I'm having the same issue. I can switch to shared, then back to bridged and it will start working again, or I can reboot. OS 10.15.6, Parallels 15.1.4, Win 10 Pro 2004, and problem persist in version 20H2. I'm assuming this is an upgrade to parallels 16 fix.

LeoL15 likes this.
  6. ksignorini

ksignorini Member

I never did get resolution. Just I do what you are doing.

7. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

It happens to me also for the last 1 year after I upgraded to parallels16 . Everything the computer went to sleep and wake it will lose all the connections. This is specially for Quickbooks which I need to quit and logging again. anyway for parallels to have option to keep network the same state and no change of IP address?

8. DirkM9

DirkM9 Bit poster

I have the same problem with my CentOS 7 VM. After waking up the computer the VM has no IPV4 address anymore. The VM has the network configuration set to shared.
    MacOS is 11.2.3 (20D91)
    Parallels Desktop is 16.1.3 (49160)
    Parallels Tools is installed.

9. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

The only solution that I have on hand now after disconnection to Quickbooks is to disconnect the network and connect to either Shared Network again.
    And this can be happen couple of time every day when the Mac goes to sleep. I also have tried to disable Mac to goes sleep automatically when display is off without any success.
    Parallels developer please do something about this
    MacOS 11.2.3 (20D91)
    Parallels Desktop 16.1.3 (49160)
    Parallels Tools is installed.

10. Hi, could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and reply us back with the ID number please?

11. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

Kindly find report id as follow 365859972. This report is taken after issue re-occurs.

12. DirkM9

DirkM9 Bit poster

I have communicated with support via email and for me the following procedure has helped (so far). In may case it's CentOS7 VM, which lost its IPV4 address.
    1. Shutdown the virtual machine
    2. Quit Parallels Desktop
    3. Uninstall Parallels Desktop
    4. Temporarily disable Antivirus and Firewall on MacOS (I've no antivirus or firewall installed)
    5. Download and install Parallels Desktop, from the below link: http://www.parallels.com/directdownload/pd16/
      Note: Do not start the virtual machine. after the installation
    6. Quit Parallels Desktop
    7. Click Apple icon -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab -> Accessibility -> Check (enable) Parallels Desktop
      Note: If the options are grayed out, please click the lock from the bottom left corner of the same window to unlock it
      (These option was still checked)
    8. Click Apple icon -> System Preferences -> Security and Privacy -> Privacy Tab -> Full Disk Access -> Check (enable) Parallels Desktop
      (These option was still checked)
    9. Start Parallels Desktop and the virtual machine. Check for the issue

13. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

Hi DirkM9
    Thank you for the recommendation for solution. I did try the steps provided by you but the same the problem persist.
    Once MacBook goes to sleep, the connection to network will cut off also and I will need to reconnect/re login program like Quickbooks.

14. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

Hi Maria ,
    I copy new technical report again 367324184. Please help me to rectify this problem.

15. JohnK51

JohnK51 Bit poster

Do you have a solution, I have the same problem?

16. JimV2

JimV2 Bit poster

Anyone find a solution to this? I have the same problem, but with Parallels 17.1 which I just installed on a new Mac Mini M1. I'm now running Quickbooks Pro Desktop 1010 in the Windows 11 ARM OS via Parallels. Quickbooks works fine (so does AutoCAD LT 2022). But as everyone is saying, every time the OS goes to sleep the VM loses the network connection, which then requires a restart of Quickbooks. I'm using the trial of Parallels 17, which along with Windows 11 ARM installed extremely easily. Unfortunately I won't be able to use this setup if this disconnect on sleep problem isn't fixed.

17. LeoL15

LeoL15 Bit poster

Hi Maria it has been like a year already. Have you guys fix this problem?

18. GregS37

GregS37 Bit poster

I've had the same problem (with Parallels desktop 18 for Mac) since installing it several months ago.

Has this problem been fixed? Has anyone found a workaround?

Thanks.

19. Julian_Kreho

Julian_Kreho Bit poster

Of course it's not fixed. What can we expect. Parallels is no different than Micro$oft. Maybe, if these kind of elementary issues were dealt with a little faster and maybe not 3 PAID major versions later, maybe then I wouldn't call Parallels the corporation a PARASITE.

20. Frederick_Florizoone

Frederick_Florizoone Bit poster

Since a couple of months, I have this issue as well. When it occurs, instead of restarting virtual machine, I can fix it with changing following setting: Hardware -> Network -> Source: change it to something else and after a second, change it back your previous value. Now you virtual machine should have internet connection again.
    It takes less time than restarting the machine.