Memory leak in Windows?

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by koppah, Apr 18, 2021.

1. koppah

koppah Bit poster

When running Windows ARM in Parallels, I'm seeing the system bounce up to 100% memory usage and stay there, then come back and immediately jump back up, even with no apps running. This is causing Windows to slow to a crawl, and I can see that the Parallels Desktop process in MacOS is using over 12GB of memory, even though my system only has 8GB. Additionally, this happens if I increase the VM's allowed memory from 4GB to 6GB.
    It seems like there may be a Parallels driver that's leaking a lot of memory in Windows and causing it to run terribly.

2. Michael Pitt

Michael Pitt Member

I've got the same issue. Just created a new VM and memory was fine - installed Parallels Tools and it's back at 95%. No apps or anything else installed, so definitely looks like a driver issue.

3. koppah

koppah Bit poster

Glad that I'm not the only one seeing this!

4. koppah

koppah Bit poster

Was the VM usable without Parallels Tools? I tried uninstalling and the experience isn't great...

5. Rob Grayson

Rob Grayson Member

Just noticed the exact same thing here. M1 MacBook Pro with 16 GB of memory, of which 6 GB is allocated to the Windows 10 ARM VM. The macOS Activity Monitor shows Parallels Desktop using around 160 MB, while Windows 10 is shown as using 12.39 GB!!

6. Rob Grayson

Rob Grayson Member

Update: with 6 GB of memory assigned to the Win10 ARM VM, Activity Monitor said Win10 was using 12.39 GB of memory. If I reduce the amount of memory assigned to the VM to 5 GB, Win10 memory usage according to Activity Monitor falls to around 10 GB; if I reduce it 4 GB, Win10 memory usage falls to... you guessed it, around 8 GB.
    So it seems Activity Monitor is reporting Windows 10 as using approximately twice the amount of memory assigned to it.

7. Xeyyakkenn

Xeyyakkenn Bit poster

I have the very same issue with 4GB assigned, yet Activity Monitor states that Windows 10 is using 8GB, when I only have the 8GB M1 Air. Is there any upcoming fix for this memory leak?

8. koppah

koppah Bit poster

Looks like if you go into Task Manager's Performance tab, you can see that the 'Commit' value seems to match with the amount of RAM that Parallels is using....

9. NickK7

NickK7 Bit poster

I'm seeing an incorrect value for memory speed in Task Manager of my Parallels VM. System Report shows 2667 MHz while Windows Task Manager is only showing 667MHz.

Attached Files:

10. SimonR6

SimonR6 Bit poster

Same thing happening to me, makes the program unusable upload_2021-6-2_17-36-18.png

11. DmitrijG

DmitrijG Bit poster

What to do? I have a same problem.
    upload_2021-6-3_14-41-54.png
    upload_2021-6-3_14-45-5.png

12. Hi guys, could you collect the tech report once the issue reoccurs and post the report's ID here please?

13. Hey,
    do you still have an issue? If yes, please collect the tech data as described here.
    We will be glad to help.

RoyK4 likes this.
  14. RoyK4

RoyK4 Bit poster

Got also the same issue! Hopefully this will be solved quickly.

@maria I'll send the tech data.

15. DmitrijG

DmitrijG Bit poster

I've sent too Rerport id is 371366014.

16. RoyK4

RoyK4 Bit poster

17. DmitrijG

DmitrijG Bit poster

The support gave me advice to remove parallels tools from windows. It helped. There are no memory leak now in Windows.

18. Hello guys, thanks a lot for the provided information.
    We've involved Parallels Engineering Team in this case for the further issue investigation.
    Once we get any updates we will let you know.
    Thank you once again.

19. RoyK4

RoyK4 Bit poster

Unfortunately for me with my MacBook Pro M1 it didn't solve the issue :(

This is my RAM directly after booting the VM. Without running any applications.
    upload_2021-6-12_9-26-45.png

20. Hi, we've already transferred this issue ti the Parallels Engineering Team.
    Once we get any updates we will let you know.