High RAM usage for VM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by DennisJ3, May 10, 2021.

1. MarioT5

MarioT5 Bit poster

RolandB11 - THANK YOU SO MUCH for your video and the research-work you have done to solve this issue (temporarily). It cost me hours to play around with this (without any success) - and support was of no help at all (also spend about 2 hours with them...).
    I am quite disappointed that Maria from PD asked for tech-reports more than 3 weeks ago and no reaction of all in all this time....
    I hope that an update will solve this issue soon.

Roland, thank you again for your help!

2. PabloP3

PabloP3

Hi, I can confirm this issue too running WIN10 Pro Build 21390, macos m1 11.4 and Parallels 16.5.0. After uninstalling "Parallels Memory Controller" ram usage dropped from 95% to 40%. This issue is critical, and must be solved asap!!

3. Hi, could you check your inbox for more information please?

4. Hi guys, it looks like a known issue and we're working on the resolution with Parallels Engineering Team.
    Once we get an updates we will let you know.

5. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

Just don't hurry guys. after all we reported the problem more than 1 month ago ...

Joking aside, my main problem is that it's a paid software. We have to pay exactly the same money like the well working x64 version.
    But the M1 (arm64) version is not ready yet. Bugs, missing or non working functions.
    Did we pay to be beta testers?

6. CynthiaR1

CynthiaR1 Bit poster

Hi Maria,

I didn't give up yet, and I really want to use windows on my M1 macbook. So I investigated more in this topic.
    As I said earlier, this is a bug in your driver. I attached a video, where you can see the problem and a temporary workaround.
    I just uninstalled the "Parallels Memory Controller" device in the "Device Manager" and it immediatelly released all of the occupied memory.
    I know this is not the final solution and I'm sure there is a good reason why this device installed by "Parallels Tools".
    But I can use the windows without this driver, it remains fast and stable after the uninstall.
    Anyway, I'm looking for the real solution from you.

7. CynthiaR1

CynthiaR1 Bit poster

Roland,
    Did you find any other technical problems that would lead you to question using Windows with M1 macbook. I still have the 2020 Intel chip Macbook pro and am thinking of trading in for M1. The Intel constantly overheats and Windows 10 doesn't work seamlessly with Office Outlook etc. But Parallels 16 does work well. So is it worth changing given everything is still Beta. Appreciate thinking on this.
    Thanks,

8. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

You have to know, the Windows that you can install in Parallels Desktop on M1 macbook is different. It is "Windows on Arm" and it is a technical preview builds. Dispite this, it works well, pretty well. But there may be problems, especially with device's drivers.
    Currently, Microsoft Office is available in 32 and 64 bit versions. There is no "Arm" version for Windows. That means, it has to run in emulation mode in your Windows. It will be slower than a native app.

Do you just want to install windows only for Office? Why don't you use MS Office for Mac? These are universal apps. Run natively on Intel and M1 platform as well.

9. ChrisT24

ChrisT24 Bit poster

This is also happening on my Intel MacBook Pro with 64GB RAM, it's not just an M1 issue. Shortly after starting Windows, the Committed RAM increases from circa 2.5GB base load to 18-20 GB. Uninstalling the Parallels Memory Controller driver immediately brings the memory back down to the 2.5GB I would expect.

10. LiamM2

LiamM2 Bit poster

I was having the same issue (>95% RAM use), then updated to the latest version of Parallels and now it is down at a manageable level (30-40%). Looks like they fixed this.

11. ChrisT24

ChrisT24 Bit poster

Just updated Parallels, fired up the VM and re-installed Parallels Tools. Task Manager Performance tab, Memory starts at 2.3 GB, then still jumps up to 12.7 GB after approx. 60 seconds when using the Parallels hypervisor, but appears to stay at 2.3 GB with the Apple hypervisor.

12. RolandB11

RolandB11 Bit poster

Nope. Nothing has changed in this topic.

I also installed the new update & reinstalled Parallels Tools.
    After restart Windows, I opened my random project in Visual Studio then compile & run.
    Shortly after the memory usage jump to 98%. Uninstalled the Pararells Memory Controller and memory usage went back to the normal 30-40%.

So no, they didn't fixed this problem. Yet.

13. ndr

ndr Bit poster

I have the same issue with my VM. No matter what memory limit I set it uses almost two times that value.
    I am running version 17.0.0 (51461) on MacBook Pro 13" M1 and the VM is running latest Windows 11 version.

14. AlejandroC12

AlejandroC12 Bit poster

Do you have any update?

M1 MacBook Air with 16GB of RAM. Windows ARM configured as 6GB but eating above 12GB of RAM in OS X...

Can you please fix this issue?

15. AlejandroC12

AlejandroC12 Bit poster

Any update in this issue? Its FRUSTRATING.

16. MalteB2

MalteB2 Bit poster

same here, waiting for an update

17. AlejandroC12

AlejandroC12 Bit poster

Hi Maria... do you have any update on this? I need to run two W10 ARM in parallel on top of OSX and every W10 is eating double the set up RAM size...

W10 1: 3GB RAM (eating 6,9GB)
    W10 2: 3GB RAM (eating 6,9GB)
    No room for OSX to work properly

Please we need an update on this with a new release ASAP.

Thanks.

18. MalteB2

MalteB2 Bit poster

hi it has almost been a month, can you escalate that issue once again?

19. AlejandroC12

AlejandroC12 Bit poster

Do you have any update?
    Its unacceptable this coming from Parallels... leaving your customers abandoned.

20. AlejandroC12

AlejandroC12 Bit poster

Any update?