The future of Parallels to support Windows 11 - DirectX 12, WDDM 2.0, and TPM 2.0 missing

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by SimonZ2, Jun 28, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Member

This is a question about the uncertain future for Parallels to be compatible with Windows 11 upgrade. The minimum requirement of Windows 11 clearly denotes that supporting DirectX 12, WDDM 2.0, and TPM 2.0 is mandatory.

It is confirmed by the knowledge base of Parallels that TPM 2.0 support will be added to the M1 version Parallels in the future updates. (see the note section on https://kb.parallels.com/en/122702) This solves one concern, but others are remaining. Is DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0 support on the plan for Parallels to run Windows 11? The official confirmation would be very helpful to address the uncertainty.

2. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Dxdiag in the Windows 10 running under PD, shows driver model WDDM 1.2 and DirectX 11 support.

I think beta channel will be switched to the 21H2 builds very soon, so it will be possible to receive new builds which support x64 emulation through beta channel.

3. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Build 22000 is downloading in dev channel. Will it work? :)

4. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

Insider preview is out

5. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

No luck

upload_2021-6-28_13-54-55.png

6. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

Installed via dev channel and working!

How exactly you've trying to install Windows 11?

ChristopherW23 likes this.
  7. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

it just showed up in Windows Update.

ChristopherW23 likes this.
  8. ChristopherW23

ChristopherW23 Junior Member

Yes Windows 11 update installed perfectly for me

9. GiovanniM7

GiovanniM7 Junior Member

works for me!

10. SimonZ2

SimonZ2 Member

An update about the new Windows 11 Insider Preview: it has been successfully installed on the new M1 Mac via Parallels. However, the incompatibility message still reminds that if the compatibility issue is not solved users will need to clean install to Windows 10, losing all the data.

It is a Microsoft's special policy to allow Insiders register before 24 June to receive Windows 11 Insider Preview even if their hardware does not meet the minimum requirement. I'm concerned that this won't last long. An official confirmation from Parallels is still needed.'

So far what is mostly lacking is the support of DirectX 12 and WDDM 2.0.

11. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

I am not fully caught up on wintel hardware but if Microsoft is forced to make an exception on the CPU generation, wouldn't they also have to make concessions on TPM? I read TPM 2.0 is the floor. Not sure how negotiable that is...meanwhile my x86 Windows 11 VM is not even setup as UEFI and it works fine. So it appears to be an artificial restriction.

12. ekohn00

ekohn00 Junior Member

How did anyone who installed 11 from the update get around the TPM2.0 requirement?

13. AlexeyY1

AlexeyY1 Member

There are no requirements if you were into insider dev channel before 6/24.

Several sources also state that if you will make .reg file with the following content:

Code:
    Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Setup\LabConfig]
    "BypassTPMCheck"=dword:00000001
    "BypassSecureBootCheck"=dword:00000001
    and import it into the registry, you can install Windows 11 even you were not into insider program

14. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

do we know what parallels presents to the VM when creating the initial boot device on M1? Is it UEFI, EFI or BIOS? Even if Parallels does enable TPM in the not too distant future, you can enable it only if UEFI is in place.

15. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

is there a way to determine?

16. kundanno

kundanno Hunter

NVM found it. System Information.

upload_2021-6-29_13-39-42.png

17. ShiqiangY

ShiqiangY Bit poster

Got my PD win 10 copy updated to win 11 without any issue. I am a long time insider though. Not sure if that matters.o_O

18. ekohn00

ekohn00 Junior Member

this worked on my Intel box, but i can't get this to work on my M1

AlexeyY1 likes this.
  19. ArnulfB

ArnulfB Bit poster

Hallo stimme dem uneingeschränkt zu, ich bin Windows Insider und möchte auch auf dem MAC M1 asap WIN 11 nutzen. Aktuell wird der Prozess sofort abgebrochen TPM 2.0 ist die Mauer

Attached Files:

20. Harry12

Harry12 Member

Heute erfolgte Download von Windows 11 auf meinem MacAir M1 automatisch ohne eine Anforderung von mir und wurde ohne Probleme erfolgreich installiert