Upgrades to Parallels 17 Standard version?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by PaulFryer, Aug 13, 2021.

1. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I see that buying the Standard (non-subscription) version of Parallels 17 states that "Free upgrade to latest version" is not available. What exactly does this mean? Does it mean that when a 'bug-fix' up-issue of P17 comes out I will not be able to get it? Or will it simply mean that I wouldn't get a free upgrade to Parallels 18? Or something else?

I'm no fan of subscription software, especially something that I use as intermittently as Parallels. But I do need to feel that performance issues within the version that I DO buy will be resolved without continually having to pay for them.

2. Bibi Fricotin

Bibi Fricotin Member

I have that question as well.

3. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

You get updates in the same version but not to the next major release

I am a little annoyed that I only purchased the upgrade to 16 4 months ago and now 17 is released

they used to do a policy whereby you could go to the next release if you purchased in the last 6 months - major release versions usually last 12 months

4. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Count yourself lucky. I just got P 16 on 1st July, and now it looks like I will have to pay to upgrade again. I probably would skip this version except for the TPM issue and the ability to get W11 (and the PrintNightmare fix!). Has that 6-months policy now lapsed?

5. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

It would seem you only get a free boost if you bought 16 at the start of August

6. rlsx

rlsx Junior Member

7. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I would like to see an official Parallels reply to the questions raised in this thread:
    - Will I really get free P17 up issues if I buy 17 Standard?
    - Who gets a free or discounted upgrade to 17 following a recent purchase of 16? How recent does it have to be?
    - How far away is P18?

I think it's only fair to users to know where they are, and to see Parallels playing fair with them.

8. Hello,
    We would like to inform you that Customers who purchased and registered a copy of Parallels Desktop 16 for Mac from the Parallels Online Store or an authorized reseller between August 1 2021 and September 30 2021 are eligible for an upgrade to the next version of Parallels Desktop for Mac at no charge, subject to certain conditions.
    For more information please check this KB article.

9. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Thanks, Maria. Can you also confirm that if I buy P17 Standard I will get free upgrades to 17 as they come out.

PS That link in your last reply took me to a Chinese language article. Where is the English one?

10. ellisag

ellisag Bit poster

11. Anand48

Anand48 Member

We are sorry for the inconvenience caused. We suggest you choose the Parallels Desktop subscription to receive free upgrades to the next version.
    Please describe your technical issue with Parallels Desktop. We look forward to assisting you. Thanks.

12. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

I'm not expecting to get a free upgrade to P18 if I buy 17 Standard - it's fair enough to have to pay for it at that time. What I want to know is whether buying P17 will entitle me to free up-issues of P17 as and when they might occur.
    Please advise.

13. Anand48

Anand48 Member

Yes, you will get minor updates and fixes for that Parallels Desktop version alone until the version reaches End-of-Life. Refer to ( https://kb.parallels.com/122929 ). Thanks.

14. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Thanks.

15. ConnectixSoldOut

ConnectixSoldOut Member

lol.. you think 16.x is getting any more minor updates on M1? Hell naw. This whole thing has soured me on Parallels.. even getting a good discount on 16, being asked to basically pay full price on v17, nope. Sorry. The product is great, but getting M1 users to pay twice in <1 year, nope. You and me are done.

VMware is launching a beta of fusion shortly.. I'll just hang tight for that.

16. PaulFryer

PaulFryer Member

Having reluctantly got the upgrade to Parallels 17, I now would like to move from Windows 10 (on the Windows Insider Program) to Windows 11. i understand that even without that pesky TPM hardware, it is now possible with P17.

Although Microsoft seems to think, from the emails I have been getting, that I am on Windows 11, I am still on W10. When i go into the Windows insider page in my W10 settings, it is still telling me that I don't meet the hardware requirements for W11.

So how can I make this move to W11 on my M1 iMac?

17. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

Maria

what about those of us who tested 16 on the M1 - this version only became full release in April this year so we only got 4 months of use before 17 came out

I paid £40 for and upgrade to this version and 4 months later I have to pay again to get to 17

Surely there is something Parallels can do here as a gesture of good will?

18. Hello, please PM with your email address

19. MJHamilton

MJHamilton Junior Member

PM'ed .. I think

20. Bhargava

Bhargava Bit poster

Please DM us with the Parallels account email address, so that we can assist you further. Thanks!