Parallels Tools update hangs at 32% after update to PT 13 / reinstallation fails

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by AlfS, Aug 22, 2017.

1. AlfS

AlfS Bit poster

Hi there,
    today I have updated Parallels Desktop today from version 12 to 13. During the update / the tools installation procedure under Windows, the installer hangs at 32%. This lasted over 60 minutes without any progress.

I had to shut down Windows and restart the virtual machine. Unfortunately, the tools start and the installation process does not restart again. Trying to reinstall this from Parallels Desktop failed without error.

From Windows side, I can no longer access Mac data, and Coherence mode does not work anymore.

What can I do, thx for any hint or help

2. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Sorry I cannot help, but I have the same issue. Parallels Tools installation hung at 32%, and I waited an hour.

3. Purplish

Purplish Forum Maven

Update: I shut down the Windows VM. Then shut down Parallels. Then shut down my Mac.
    Started Mac. Opened Parallels. Started Windows 10. In the Actions Menu, choose Reinstall Parallels Tools. Look for a small warning box at the bottom right in Windows 10 asking what you want to do. I can't remember the exact wording, but it amounts to "run the file", rather than store the file.
    After doing this, Parallels Tools installed completely. (Then restart Windows.)

4. AdamP7

AdamP7 Bit poster

Thanks, Purplish! I had the same issue and have been troubleshooting it for a couple hours with no help from tech support. I followed your simple steps and PRESTO - problem solved. You're a life saver.

5. LeonP

LeonP Bit poster

Tried your solution, could not duplicate your favorable result

6. AlfS

AlfS Bit poster

Hi there,
    Thanks for the tips and hints, but unfortunately they did not work for me. The solution was: Go back to the last Windows snapshot before upgrading to Parallels 13. After that, the installation of the Windows tools will start again and will not stay as much as 32%. Fortunately, the snapshot in my case was still "quite young", just a few hours old, so this was not a problem. In any case, Windows 10 now works with all Parallels tools again completely to my satisfaction.

Thanks again to all the posters,

Alf

7. LeonP

LeonP Bit poster

Hi Alf
    Sorry to reveal my ignorance of the Windows world. But how do I get a Windows snapshot prior to upgrading Parallels 13.

8. FernandoA4

FernandoA4 Bit poster

I had a similar problem when upgrading to Parallels 17.0.1. I found a simpler way to resolve the problem. I went to the "Actions" roll-down menu and hit "Reset". A pop-up window asked if I really want to reset when "Parallels Tools" have not yet been installed. I accept the action and when Windows restarted the "Tools" installation was also reset and finished normally.

Maria@Parallels likes this.
  9. Thanks a lot for sharing your resolution steps.
    and please let us know if you have any additional questions.

10. jonahlee

jonahlee Junior Member

Mine stopped on 32% just stopped, nothing worked. Had to force quit the app, and then windows would only start in emergency mode, tried rollback, but only ine to show up was before install, but as soon as restarted it went back to start of install and froze again at 32%. I then tried the action reset and have been stuck in that for 4 hours now.

11. Hello, could you collect the technical report once the issue reproduced and post the report's ID here please?

12. jonahlee

jonahlee Junior Member

The technical report ID is 381305189 and I did it just after it hit 32% on install and stopped.
    Can't update or install anything on windows because of this issue.

13. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, thank you for providing us the technical report id, we will check from our end and update you shortly. Thanks, Parallels Team.

14. jeremycrandell

jeremycrandell Bit poster

I have attempted the path of Action > Reset and then re-running the Parallels Tools Installer. I still get the same result of the install crashing at 69%. "An error has occurred while installing Parallels Tools."

I've tried the registry fix "reg_pt_fix.reg" but that hasn't made it possible for the installer to get past 69%.

My Bootcamp Windows 10 installation hasn't been useful in over a year because I am unable to install Parallels Tools.

15. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hello, kindly perform the steps mentioned in https://kb.parallels.com/8969 for resolving Parallels Tools reinstallation issue. Thanks, Parallels Team.