USB interface communication issue.

Discussion in 'Windows Virtual Machine' started by GarrinC, Nov 19, 2021.

1. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, please perform the below steps:-
    1. Shut down your virtual machine (Actions > Shut down)
    2. Set a permanent assignment in Parallels Desktop preferences for your device to always connect to Windows.
    3. Then run the VM, see if the issue persists.
    If still the issue persist, please create a support ticket https://kb.parallels.com/6571 and send us a technical report https://kb.parallels.com/9058 after recreating issue.

2. KavehV

KavehV Member

I've already gone through this and filed a technical report here: 385830716. I really don't have the time to upgrade to 17.1.1 and check this then downgrade again (as I mentioned in the other USB thread). Parallels should check the report and get in touch with us if necessary, but it's pretty clear something broke after version 17.0.1 and has not been fully fixed.

OO_ likes this.
  3. OO_

OO_ Bit poster

Same problem here. I'd like to downgrade to 17.0.1 but don't have the link to download...

4. KavehV

KavehV Member

5. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

I have the exact same problem. Also using the Philips SpeechMike here in Parallels 17.0.1 does work while it doesn't in 17.1 nor 17.1.1.
    (Using Win11 on ARM on a MBP 16", M1 Pro)
    It can't be that hard to look what you've changed from V17.0.1 to 17.1.0 in the USB part and revert this, now can it?

On another note this is kind of a deja-vu as I had similar some years ago where Parallels just refused to work with the Speechmike and I more or less coincidentally found that VMWare did work without problem and so switched over to that (and so could bring relief also to the technician who desperately tried making the speech recognition work but didn't succeed even after multiple telephone calls to Nuance support and getting special beta software/drivers from them).
    A few versions later Parallels somehow did work again.

6. Metrowest

Metrowest Junior Member

It does seem pretty ridiculous that 17.1.1 still has USB issues. I wasted time again tonight upgrading 4 VM's only to find out USB ports don't work.

Isn't one of the main reasons people use parallels is to interface to some crazy hardware device (for me musical gear, motorcycle tuner, development projects) that requires working USB from Windows or Linux? I can't even imagine they would let a release out the door without testing this stuff.

Thanks goodness the old version runs under the latest OSX. As a long time Parallels user I am very disappointed.

7. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

Just one thing that came to my mind recently: In earlier versions of Parallels Desktop you had to enable USB 3 support in a separate checkbox - but with that enabled the SpeechMike and some other USB devices didn't work either - so I left it at USB 2 and had no problems (and that was likely the reason it was turned off by default also).
    In the recent version there is no setting for USB 2 or 3 anymore - maybe it's now always using USB 3 and our problems could be cured by simply adding a "advanced" option to disable USB3 / fall back to USB 2 only like it was earlier?

8. DebasmitaM

DebasmitaM Forum Maven

Hi, thank you for sharing your observation. We will share the same with our development team and will try to resolve it as soon as possible.

JoachimV likes this.
  9. JustinT6

JustinT6 Bit poster

Looking forward to this issue being resolved soon.

10. GarrinC

GarrinC Junior Member

I try to remain hopeful that the next update will remedy all the USB issues were all having, however going back to 17.0.1 will only cure the issue most of you guys are having yet 17.0.1 does not remedy the very specific issue that started this thread so my optimism for a resolution is dwindling. Does anyone have anything good to say about VMWare or any other application like Parallels that I could try and see if it works without paying a ton for a program that may not work for me? I love the way parallels does EVERYTHING else its just this issue that is pushing me (and probably MANY others) away.

11. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

I never ever encountered any USB compatibility problems in VMWare, so I do believe this will very likely work for you. For us Apple Silicon users there's no choice other than Parallels, though.

12. KavehV

KavehV Member

@DebasmitaM@Parallels can you please share an update with everyone here? These are debilitating issues for those of us that rely on USB. With little or no news for a month now, it feels a bit like Parallels isn't taking this as seriously as they should.

JustinT6 and JoachimV like this.
  13. KavehV

KavehV Member

Hello? Can we get an update on Parallels on this issue?

14. Andreas Oelke

Andreas Oelke Bit poster

Reverting to 17.0.1 solved the issue for me so this should definitely be fixed!

JustinT6 likes this.
  15. GaryW14

GaryW14 Bit poster

I believe I have a similar issue. I have an Arduino board connected to a USB port. The Arduino IDE recognizes the board on the COM port and can read from it, but the IDE can't upload to the board. Here's my configuration:
    Parallels 17.1.1
    Windows 11
    MacBook Pro running Monterey 12.2.1
    Arduino IDE 1.8.19

16. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

Try the older V17.0.1 version. This might solve your problem.

17. GaryW14

GaryW14 Bit poster

Yep. Reverting to 17.0.1 fixed the problem. Thanks!

JoachimV likes this.
  18. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

As I already written in another post from another thread, today I tried again on my Macbook Air (M1) to downgrade to 17.0.1 without any success... no luck. Both USB audio devices were giving me hard time by not functioning at all. Unless this frustrating issue I am having with both audio usb devices, my 2 Windows 11 Home VMs are working flawlessly. It is really frustrating after so many weeks.... even months, waiting for a fix from Parallels. So far, I have no work around.... I must wait...

Regards, Jeff

19. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Weird audio usb behavior.... missing SOUND CARD..... come one..... it works on my Windows 11 computer.... but not in Parallels....
    Capture d’écran, le 2022-02-28 à 20.12.29.png

20. Jeff_VA2SS

Jeff_VA2SS Junior Member

Installed latest update 17.1.2 today.... I was hoping this update will resolve my issue..... nope....:mad:

MarcoM16 likes this.