Mouse Cursor is HUGE

Discussion in 'Installation and Configuration of Parallels Desktop' started by khaosspawn, Nov 19, 2021.

1. khaosspawn

khaosspawn Bit poster

Hi There,
    I upgraded my parallels 16 to 17 and now the cursor in windows is huge! I've reinstalled parallels tools - restarted numerous times - with no effect. Any advice would be appreciated. This is really difficult to work with as it stands.

Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.31.08 AM.png Screen Shot 2021-11-19 at 10.36.18 AM.png

CueneytC likes this.
  2. serv

serv Forum Maven

Best Answer
    Yuri, try ticking this option VM menu bar > View > Retina Resolution > Best for external displays and confirm logging out of Windows. Will that help?

YuriC2 likes this.
  3. khaosspawn

khaosspawn Bit poster

It seems like it's 3 times the size it should be.

I've tried to put it into coherence - and back out - no luck.

4. GampaA@P

GampaA@P Pro

Hello @khaosspawn , please follow the steps Open the Mouse pointer window by navigating to Windows Start Menu > PC Settings > Ease of Access > Mouse pointer. You can change your pointer size by dragging the slider under Change pointer size. Choose a pointer size from 1 to 15, where 1 is the default size. please let us know is the issue still persist. Thanks, Parallels Team.

5. AlexH27

AlexH27 Bit poster

Hi @GampaA@Parallels, there is something else going on here besides changing the cursor in windows settings. Mine is already at the minimum size in windows yet still huge!

6. RickC6

RickC6 Bit poster

I was able to fix this by setting View->Retina Resolution from Scaled to Best for Retina display.

SergeyV1 likes this.
  7. x86Virtualization

x86Virtualization Bit poster

Thank you for sharing,

On my 2020 Macbook Air M1, running MacOS 12.2 Beta and Parallels 17.1.1 the only way for me to have a normal sized cursor was to set it to "scaled" under the view -> Retina Resolution menu, but very happy it was able to reset the size.

8. khaosspawn

khaosspawn Bit poster

The only way I can resolve this is to do the opposite. From Best for Retina to Scaled. It looks awful and jagged - but at least the cursor is not huge.

9. Randy6

Randy6 Bit poster

This is still happening on a fresh install of Windows 11 on a new machine. It does not happen on other computers that have Windows 11 installed a few months ago. When set to Retina, the cursor is comically huge. It is normal when set to "scaled," but that is unusably terrible to look at.

This has to be a bug in the recent versions of Parallels.

Can we please get a fix for this?

10. YuriC2

YuriC2 Bit poster

I have the same bug, the cursor is comically huge when i use 5k resolution with scale 200% on windows 11

11. CueneytC

CueneytC Bit poster

I have the same problem. But cursor is getting normal view when I try to drag any window to anywhere until I stop it. It didn't happen when I let Parallels to select windows version. I downloaded from website and this version occurs this problem. How can I solve this? I need to install Windows 11 Pro.

12. RicardoG8

RicardoG8 Bit poster

I managed to "solve" it by activating the Display pointer trails option in the Mouse Properties dialog (press Windows + R, then type main.cpl and press Enter).

Attached Files:

13. AllanM6

AllanM6 Bit poster

This also works for me. It's a little annoying, but setting the trail to Short makes it better than having a stupidly large pointer.

14. ClayL

ClayL Bit poster

This works but broken the top and right mouse function:
    - Mouse to the top to show the Parallel desktop config menu
    - Mouse to the right (when I have windows toolbar docked right) to show MAC apps.
    This issue needs to be addressed by PD. It was not having the issue in PD 15/16.

15. JackL26

JackL26 Bit poster

I had the same issue and only turning on cursor trail worked but that was annoying. But then I restarted Windows and it fixed itself.

16. Pavel Merkulov

Pavel Merkulov Parallels Team

Hello,

Thank you for your feedback.
    To let us better understand the situation, please perform the following steps:

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect an a technical report at the moment of issue reproduction (Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as a reply

17. Pavel Merkulov

Hello,

1. Reproduce the issue.
    2. Collect an a technical report at the moment of issue reproduction (Help > Send technical data > check "Attach screenshots..." > press Send Report) and send the report's 9-digit ID as a reply

18. Pavel Merkulov

Hello,

1. Reproduce the issue.

19. YuriC2

YuriC2 Bit poster

20. YuriC2

YuriC2 Bit poster

I made a video

21. serv

serv Forum Maven

Best Answer
    Yuri, try ticking this option VM menu bar > View > Retina Resolution > Best for external displays and confirm logging out of Windows. Will that help?

YuriC2 likes this.