Parallels Desktop 17.1 (51516) seems to have broken USB on Windows 11 ARM

Discussion in 'Parallels Desktop on a Mac with Apple silicon' started by ChrisP28, Oct 20, 2021.

1. HC_3

HC_3 Hunter

2. ChrisP28

ChrisP28 Bit poster

I've just updated to 51537 as it was supposed to contain a fix for this but I can confirm that it doesn't fix the problem.
    I'm having to roll back to 17.0 again - I really hope they fix this properly soon, it's really frustrating!

3. ChrisP28

ChrisP28 Bit poster

Does anyone have a download link for 17.0.1? Parallels don't give access to this so if you download 17 you always get the broken 17.1.1.

AliR10 likes this.
  4. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

I have Parallels 17.1.1 and I can't connect Android devices to my Windows 11 or my Ubuntu VMs. One rooted Android tablet will connect - sometimes - but not consistently or completely. By that I mean that adb might "see" the device on the VM but the VM can't access the device's file system. Hoping for a fix soon.

5. MarkN8

MarkN8 Junior Member

Any news on when a fix for this issue will be available? In the meantime, how can I downgrade to 17.0.1?

6. JoelC9

JoelC9 Bit poster

I too would like to know this, having USB issues

7. Machappy

Machappy Bit poster

Same here. Windows 11 doesn't allow me to connect with my scanner. It shows as available to windows but after running install software my device is being reported as OFF.

8. HungV2

HungV2 Bit poster

Same issue. Cannot connect Oculus quest, USB external hard drive. I'm using Windows 11 virtual machine.

9. HungV2

HungV2 Bit poster

I'm using 17.1.1 and the issue is still there

10. ChrisP28

ChrisP28 Bit poster

I've raised a support ticket with Parallels to get an update on this as it's been far too long with this issue. I'll post what they come back with once I've gotten a reply.

HungV2 likes this.
  11. Jon Donshik

Jon Donshik Bit poster

I am running PD 17.1 with Windows 11 ARM on new 16 MBP. I have a USB microphone (Philips Speech Mike Premium 3700) that I use with Dragon Naturally Speaking. When I plug in the microphone, I need to use a USB A- USB-C adapter. The microphone shows up under Devices>>USB and Bluetooth. However, when I try to click on the microphone to tell it to join Windows rather than the Mac, it will never show a checkbox. I can tell that it is connected because I can dictate one or two sentences. Then, it stops working and I need to restart Windows. It does not appear to be a W11 problem per se, because the microphone does show up. It seems to be an issue with how PD11 is responding to USB devices. Why is there no checkmark to indicate that the device is connected to the VM??

RoderickL likes this.
  12. SWANDY

SWANDY Pro

No help but just for informational purposes I am running Parallels 17.1.1 (51537) and Windows 11 PRO and not seeing the USB issues. I have two drives that are always plugged into my M1 iMac - one for Time Machine (that Windows comes up with a Permissions notification - and the other has my Ebook Collection, my Photos Library file and my iTunes Media Folder (not the Music app library file - and Windows 11 has no issues seeing or accessing that drive. I also plugged in a USB drive that has various documents backed up and Windows can all see and access it.

13. ChrisP28

ChrisP28 Bit poster

I'm still working with the technical support team to get a resolution but was given a direct download link to v17.0.1 for those who need to roll back like I did:
    https://download.parallels.com/desktop/v17/17.0.1-51482/ParallelsDesktop-17.0.1-51482.dmg
    Note that you still need a valid v17 license to use this version. When you run the installer it immediately prompts you to install 17.1.1 but close that window and it will then give you the option to install 17.0.1 (called "current") rather than install the latest version.

It's interesting to hear others have no problems. It seems that USB storage devices are more reliably connecting than other devices. My problem devices are Android phones which I use for development, so maybe there's something about that.

I'll keep everyone here posted on what happens in case we find a way to resolve this without another update.

AliR10 likes this.
  14. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

Philips SpeechMike doesn't work on Parallels 17.1.0 and up. Install the 17.0.1 build and it'll work.

15. DavidP50

DavidP50 Bit poster

I am also still having issues connecting usb devices to my windows 11 build on a M1 Max MacBook Pro...The device shows up in parallels but windows does not seem to see it. It's a serial connection from a technical support software.

16. zhangzj

zhangzj Bit poster

Is there still no new progress and news on this issue? Two months later, there is no update or news. It's really sad:(

17. DavidP50

DavidP50 Bit poster

Agreed...this is silly. The update did not fix it for me either.

18. JoachimV

JoachimV Member

It seems that they just don't care - looking at how long this problem exists and that it really can't be that hard to solve because it worked in V17.0.1. So they just needed to revert changes in USB code done from V17.0.1 to V17.1. I've not yet ANYONE that claimed USB was working better fro him in V17.1..

19. OlegV

OlegV Member

So the poor souls with open Parallels support tickets on this 17.1 USB issue... did you guys get anywhere in the end?

JoachimV likes this.
  20. DavidP50

DavidP50 Bit poster